Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

What's in a name? Would a quartet be a quartet by without any other name?

Orchestra: Our quartet has no name. Bad decision? Got suggestions? We're stumped.

From Rob Schnautz
Posted August 14, 2006 at 08:58 PM

So my wedding quartet is getting ready for our first two weddings in the next five weeks, and we still don't have a name.

Is a name important? Any ideas?
(We're a standard string quartet in Evansville, IN, not all from the same schools, ages from 14-19, and have almost nothing in common other than we've all studied with the same teacher.)

From D Wright
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 09:17 PM
The Diversity String Quartet.

iono *shrugs* you can pull a better name out of a cereal box contest. meh.

From Rob Schnautz
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 09:26 PM
lol, like Cap'n Crunch Oops! All Berries Quartet?
From Sander Marcus
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 09:56 PM
How about the Harmony Falls String Quartet? Harmony Falls is one of the tallest waterfalls in North America (it's in British Columbia in Canada). I don't know why you should name yourselves that, but it just seems to me like a nice name for a string quartet.

You could also call yourselves the Not Ready For Prime Time String Quartet. Or the Buckets of Bouree String Quartet. Or the No Strings Attached String Quartet. Or, like Kronos, you can have just a single name, like Omega or Sensitivity or Spinach.

Anyway, think out of the box. Hey, the Out of the Box String Quartet.

But whatever you do, don't call yourselves the Safe Sex String Quartet.

:) Sandy

From Neil Cameron
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 10:50 PM
Why not name yourself after your teacher? After all, it is the one thing you have in common.

Hmmmm, Safe Sex Quartet, hmmmmm. I don't know Sandy - why not? ;)

Neil

From Christian Afonso
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 11:53 PM
While we're at it, how about the "G-String quartet"? ;)
From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 14, 2006 at 11:55 PM
Sandor, are you familiar with P.D.Q. Bach's composition, the "Safe" Sextet? It is so named because apparently, the eminent Professor Peter Schikele (HOW do you spell that man's name???) found the manuscript in a safe....

Regarding quartet names, my (now-defunct) quartet had a similar problem when we first formed. We went through a lot of bickering and arguing before our first violinist asked Violaine Melancon of the Peabody Trio if she had any suggestions, and the first thing she came up with was perfect. Moral of the story, brainstorm with other musicians.

From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:01 AM
Hmm, but you mostly play wedding gigs....how about the Amoroso String Quartet?
From Emily Grossman
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:05 AM
Cuethe. Cuethe String Quartet!
From Richard Hellinger
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:30 AM
I love the name harmony falls string quartet.. for some reason it sounds so fancy and proper. Also it is completely fit for a string quartet because of the "harmony" lol...
From Richard Hellinger
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 12:30 AM
I love the name harmony falls string quartet.. for some reason it sounds so fancy and proper. Also it is completely fit for a string quartet because of the "harmony" lol...
From Emily Liz
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 02:15 AM
Evansville String Quartet...
From Nathan Cole
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 02:20 AM
The quartet name! So difficult. I remember from Arnold Steinhardt's memoir that the Guarneri
Quartet had difficulty as well, and that one of the finalists was the Lotus Blossom Quartet! It was 1963 after all. Guarneri was given to them, I think, by Sascha Schneider after he told them that he had once played in a quartet by that name.

So maybe the solution is to find a quartet that once existed, but doesn't anymore. In that spirit, may I offer you a few that I've been a part of:

Grancino
Montagnana
Smedley

And please, if you adopt one of these, don't sully their memories! :)

From Rob Schnautz
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 08:33 PM
lol, everyone! This is funny! Spinach!
From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 09:16 PM
The Popeye Quartet? :)
From Hansjürgen Kohlhaas
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 09:12 PM
Spinach...be careful. When first touring Germany they should call themselves Spinat-Quartett, otherwise people might think of a 4(5)-letter word as they read SpinA..CH, or something like Spinner (=idiot)
Harmony Falls Q. sounds good. HyFallsQ@aol.org
From Jennifer Grucza
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 10:14 PM
I've never played in a chamber group with a name, and I've played in plenty of weddings. The bride and groom and their guests don't care what the quartet's called so long as it sounds nice.
From John Taylor
Posted on August 15, 2006 at 10:14 PM
The Delius quartet. It's smooth and has a ring to it!
From Rob Schnautz
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 12:10 PM
Jennifer...interesting. Maybe we don't need a name.
From Mike Harris
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 02:50 PM
Three of the members of our wedding quartet book gigs. Two of the three have different names for the group and I simply book under my business name, no name for the duos, trios or quartet.
If you find a name you like, go with it, if not, don't worry about it.
From John Lanceley
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 03:45 PM
Amoroso is a classic! Why not the .....ackkk dunno
From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 05:16 PM
You know I can't resist. The Ackkk Dunno Quartet? :)
From Sander Marcus
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 05:55 PM
Oh my, this is too tempting to pass up for me also:
The Embedded Musician String Quartet.
The ADD String Quartet.
The Three B's String Quartet (named after Boyce, Berlioz, and Britten).
PISQ - The Politically Incorrect String Quartet.
The Mississippi Hotdog String Quartet.
The Zoloft String Quartet.
The Blog String Quartet.
The Prostate String Quartet (because if its growing repertoire).
The Sociopathy String Quartet (because it will steal your heart and your money at the same time).
From D Wright
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 06:26 PM
i like the cap'n crunch all berries sq.

*does a copyright search*

From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 07:01 PM
The Surrealist Piano Trio
From D Wright
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 07:09 PM
lol i like that.

very surreal to announce a trio and a quartet walks out.

From David Kennedy
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 08:07 PM
Why not the Headbangers Bunch.

Serioulsy though I kinda like the Harmony Falls Quartet. It has just the right sound (double entendre intended) without being pretentious.

From Rob Schnautz
Posted on August 16, 2006 at 09:38 PM
Harmony Falls has a nice ring to it, but I've never even heard of Harmony Falls...

Mississippi Hotdogs, lol.

I don't think we could call it a piano trio and get away with it!

I need to get home and study for my sociology final...two chapters to read and two nights to do it in!

This is a very funny topic, and I'm glad no one has taken it TOO too seriously, ya know?

From Christian Vachon
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 01:17 PM
Hi,

D Wright - I think that my ex-girlfriend's cereal was more like Nut n'Bitch.

Cheers!

From Carolyn Shields
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 02:24 PM
Judging from the number of boats named "No Name," boat owners must have the same problem. Innominato Quartet? Love the suggestions.
From Jim Hoyle
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 09:02 PM
I like Maura's Amoroso idea. However for the same reasons it could be the "Stitch in Time Quartet", translate that into the language of your choice, eg the Cucire Pronto Quartet.
From Katie Bailey Waller
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 11:30 PM
Good idea to have a name.... and some cards made and available for someone who might hear you at the wedding and want you to play for their dinner party, etc. Needs to be something easy to rememeber.

How about "Evans Four?"

Have fun!
K.

From Hansjürgen Kohlhaas
Posted on August 17, 2006 at 11:50 PM
The 4XBachelors
(or ForExBachelorsFour)
??
Haj
From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 18, 2006 at 01:04 AM
Kind of ironic for a wedding quartet....I still like Amoroso. :)
MG
From Mike Harris
Posted on August 18, 2006 at 05:06 PM
Sandner, you've obviously got way too much free time!
From D Wright
Posted on August 18, 2006 at 05:27 PM
ouch @ christian
From Jim W. Miller
Posted on August 18, 2006 at 05:29 PM
Go easy on him. She ruined his life.
From Scott Hawthorn
Posted on August 18, 2006 at 05:34 PM
The Juggernaut
From Katie Bailey Waller
Posted on August 20, 2006 at 02:04 AM
And... the answer is.....?
What name have you decided upon?
From Mike Harris
Posted on August 20, 2006 at 02:58 AM
Quartets sometimes take the name of a composer...how about d'Indy?
From Sander Marcus
Posted on August 20, 2006 at 02:53 PM
The Satie String Quartet?
From Peter Kent
Posted on August 20, 2006 at 04:35 PM
Have you a favorite tree ? The Spruce Qt.
Maple, Sycamore, Birch, Pine, Teak...something that is easily remembered and not too stuffy or humorous...prospective clients don't want to enlist a group with an embarassing name, yet perhaps wish to know the derivation of the name. Our group takes the name from the street where our cellist used to reside. Best wishes...wedding gigs can be fun...timing is so important...get a good menu and learn the church service procedure...talk and befriend the officiate, and get your fee upfront, rather than crashing the reception line...
From Neil Cameron
Posted on August 20, 2006 at 11:41 PM
Number 1, The Larch ...

Neil (with apologies to Monty Python)

From Nathan Cole
Posted on August 20, 2006 at 11:43 PM
You know what has worked for me in the past? Start with a story (made up, of course) about how the quartet got together. How did you meet, where did you first play together, what were you on your way to do when you were approached to play Death and the Maiden? Invariably, a few proper nouns will work their way in there. Choose one, and voila! Your name, resonating with significance.
From Peter Kent
Posted on August 21, 2006 at 02:21 AM
Perhaps, The Larch Descending ?
From Rob Schnautz
Posted on August 22, 2006 at 02:34 PM
So, Nathan, you're saying like "Someone Asked Me If I Had A Quartet So I Called Everyone I Knew To Make One Quartet?"

or maybe, more to-the-point: "By Popular Request"

From Nathan Cole
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 12:27 AM
No, you just need a story like... the four of you were over at your house watching the World Cup, and just as Fabio Grosso scored, you realized the four of you could form a quartet! So you became: the Fabio Quartet!

Of course you would probably fill in more details in the story in the hopes of hitting on a better proper noun. :)

From Sander Marcus
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 12:37 PM
If you called yourselves the Underachievement String Quartet, then you could play the complete cycle of Beethoven's 5 string quartets.
From Rob Schnautz
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 02:35 PM
So I should make the story up?
From Sander Marcus
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 03:21 PM
Oh, go ahead and make up a story. That's probably what all the other string quartets have done anyway.
:) Sandy
From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 23, 2006 at 06:01 PM
Or you could be boring and just name the quartet after your first violinist, like the Keller Quartet and the Takács Quartet (although, I suppose, they should have been the Takács-Nagy Quartet...). I dunno, making up a story would be more fun.
From Pauline Lerner
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 04:25 AM
I like Harmony Falls. (I sometimes use Harmony as a screen name.) How about the Up and Coming String Quartet in view of your age and newness on the quartet scene? Since you're going to play at weddings, I can suggest that you NOT call yourself Love-Death Quartet or Battered Bride Quartet.
From Rob
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 04:18 PM
or Wine, Women, and Song Quartet...

Okay, I'll make up a story:
Dan and I went to go see Finding Nemo together and sat in front of Alex who spilled his popcorn on Josh's lap during the ritual initiation part, and at the same moment, who spilled his strawberry slushie all over my shoes. Dan was the only one who heard the lines to that part, and the rest of us decided in that instant to form a quartet. So now we're called the
Strawberry Popcorn Slushie Oo-Ha-Ha Quartet.

Wow...that would have been funny if that were how it happened!

From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:11 PM
As long as we're getting into Strauss waltz titles, how about the Blue Danube Quartet? You can pretend you all met in Budapest! :)
Cheers,
the Mad Hungarian
From Jonathan Frohnen
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:17 PM
How about Quartetto Americano? hehe

That's too good, must be taken!

How about the Rob Schnautz Quartet?

From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:17 PM
Das Amerikanischer Streichquartett! (any real Germans on here, forgive my mangled attempt!!)
From Jonathan Frohnen
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:20 PM
hehe

How's about "THE Quartet"

"Screechin' but Bitchin'" the Quartet

Actually Quartetto Americano makes me crave a cappuccino for whatever reason :-)~

From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:21 PM
Reminds me of a joke I heard from some flute player this summer:
Q: What is the definition of a string quartet?
A: A good violinist, a mediocre violinist, a former violinist, and someone who hates violinists.
From Maura Gerety
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:22 PM
The Espresso Italiano Quartet! Damn, now I want a Starbucks.
From Jonathan Frohnen
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 08:35 PM
lmao at your joke

That would actually make a great name for a series of espresso shots! Or an espresso cup set with saucers :-)~

From Bram Heemskerk
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 10:16 PM
Perhaps a good name is: Wolfgangquartet. The Amadeusquartet already exits and perhaps Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart would also like this name.
Or : Radio- (and television- and Internet-)Philharmonic chamberstringquartet?
From Kelsey Walsh
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 10:57 PM
I had a string trio by the name of "We three strings"..... No ideas for a quartet though.
KW
From Sander Marcus
Posted on August 24, 2006 at 11:40 PM
The Four Stooges String Quartet.
The WMD String Quartet (Wonderful Musical Delights)
The Dyslexia Quing Stortet.
From Jonathan Frohnen
Posted on August 25, 2006 at 12:20 AM
LOL

"The Dyslexia Quing Stortet"

That's officially the best post I've seen to date! Bravo Sander!

From Neil Cameron
Posted on August 25, 2006 at 12:19 AM
The Dyslexia Quing Stortet

Sander that's pure genius.

Some other suggestions:

4 4 Beer

Free Beer (it's been done by at least one band I know of. They'd put up the sign outside the pub they were playing in ... at least until the owner found out why the pub was jammed with people wanting their free beer)

Neil

From Rob
Posted on August 25, 2006 at 12:58 PM
Good answers, guys! This discussion is definitely keeping me laughing! We're doing our first wedding tomorrow! Yay!

I'm thinking maybe something like "Popular Request" because we sort of formed because two couples asked if I had a quartet...maybe that would also get a foot further in the door than a name like "Free Beer" or "Dyslexia Quing Stortet" --both hilarious, by the way, thanks!

Suzuki Violin School

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8