Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Ivry Gitlis

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: Where can I find any recording or video on the internet with him?

From Adela Urcan
Posted August 1, 2006 at 04:33 PM

Where can I find any recording or video on the internet with him? I read some previous posts, but haven't come out with much.

Thanks.

From Marty Dalton
Posted on August 1, 2006 at 04:42 PM
Try these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raZUCnW_v8Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNwdGqjQuw

From Adela Urcan
Posted on August 1, 2006 at 06:33 PM
Thanks for the links, Marty, I saw those some years ago, on Mezzo, and recorded them, but I have lost the recording, so I am glad I heard them again, to bad they are so short..
God, I love his vibrato, and glissandos, you can recognise his tone from a hundred of violinists.
From Audrey Roncigli
Posted on August 2, 2006 at 05:50 PM
Gitlis is my favorite violinist. With Gluzman.
I met him, couldn't say a word... I heard him 4 times in concert, he's amazing, his sound is very unique..;
I've plenty of recordings with him, just ask if you're interested...
His BERG is a "pure merveille" (Marylin Monroe's favourite album...)
BEst
AR
From bill Pratt
Posted on August 2, 2006 at 06:17 PM
Wow! I am entranced by his playing, too!
From Melanie Buch
Posted on August 3, 2006 at 06:14 AM
I have seen him several times too on Masterclasses here in France, and if you have the opportunity to see that, don't miss it! He's really amazing!I have the recordings of Wienawski concertos...
I have heard him play though back in 2000 and I must admit I didn't like it that much...He had some troubles controlling his bow, and he played the whole >Tschaikowski in the "gipsy way"!
From Adela Urcan
Posted on August 3, 2006 at 06:34 AM
I know, I heard him too, then, with Thaikovsky, maybe he was playing it a little free, as the orchestra was always behind, but I like thinks to be played more freely, I know many would shout at me when saying that, but with all those rules,even concerning interpretation, vibrato, in the end you aren't aloud to do anything you feel, and that wouldn't be your idea of music anymore, anyway , that's one of the reasons I admire him so much.
From Lukas Fierz
Posted on September 8, 2006 at 07:04 AM
Just heard Gitlis at the Mondsee-Festival in Austria.

His Franck-sonata (with young pianist Polina Leschenko, a genius) was deeply moving. He has a way of "explaining" the work with his play and of communicating with the public, which is unique. This sonata was never as clear to me, as in his hands.

As an encore he played Liebesleid of Kreisler, - incredible. Perfect seducer on stage.

In another concert his encore was a solo improvisation on an Austrian childrens song. With queer harmonies, Grapelli-like jazz and all that.

Here is an old master. I do not mind his occasional problems of intonation or bow control. I prefer him by far to the perfectly styled and perfectly boring and predictable girlies that nowadays populate the stage.

Cheers

Lukas Fierz

From Oliver Bedford
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 04:19 AM
Search Amazon, Classical Music, for "Gitlis". It comes up with several recordings.

I heard him in Sydney about 3 years ago with the Australian Chamber Orchestra and he was very, very good. Also rather funny when he gave a little chat before his encore. A real veteran virtuoso of the violin.

From Anthony Barletta
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 06:33 AM
At risk of sounding like a total wanker, can someone indicate the correct phonetic pronunciation of the name, Ivry Gitlis -- I have never heard it spoken.
Thanks,
ab
From David Russell
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 12:09 PM
All the "i"'s are like eee. Except the last one, which is a soft vowel sound "i".
From Kevin Huang
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 10:54 PM
I've got a video of him in a solo recital in Japan. Great playing, though not always my style. I also love Vox's "The Art of Ivry Gitlis".

I can't help but point out that Gitlis, on this video, reminds me of that demonic guy in the painting in the 2nd Ghostbusters movie!

From Anthony Barletta
Posted on September 10, 2006 at 04:13 AM
Thanks David. That was sort of my best guess.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle