Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Rock Violin

Performing: Anybody know about doing recording studio work?

From Matt Macellaio
Posted July 24, 2006 at 10:15 PM

I just got the new Muse CD (I HIGHLY recommend it by the way - Black Holes and Revelations), and I heard violins on a few tracks. Are the violinists on rock recordings usually hired by the studio or are they part of the band?

I've had a lot of fun this past year playing with some of my friends' bands, doing the violin parts on Beatles and Dylan songs, and I even bought a bridge pickup. Does anyone (especially near LA) know how I could get into that line of work? I remember I contacted Linkin Park about doing something like this when I was 15 or so, but they never got back to me.

From Valerie Coon
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 10:22 PM
I have no idea, but I've been wanting to ask the same question. :D
From Kevin Huang
Posted on July 25, 2006 at 11:34 AM
Violinists in rock bands can either be part of the band or "hired guns".

Get yourself an electric violin, go to your music store, check out the classified ads, try to meet violin contractors (ask your teacher).

From Connie Bainbridge
Posted on July 27, 2006 at 12:17 AM
I LOVEEEEE muse! I remember maybe two years ago when their absolution cd was in the process of being made they had a thing on their webpage talking about auditioning for the muse orchestra. I'm not sure if this is the same orchestra as the one for Blackholes and Revelations, though.
From Sarah Wallin
Posted on July 27, 2006 at 06:38 AM
Hi there! I've been getting into the recording biz lately... I'm currently in the middle of recording violin and viola licks on a hip-hop album. I got this gig because the artist contacted a local music school where I teach, and my boss notified me about it. Consequently, friends of this artist are starting to look me up, too.

Also, I've just recently gotten in on playing for a punk/folk album, whose artists want bluegrass style fiddle licks on their tracks. I got their info through the music dept. secretary of my undergrad school (they emailed her with their request for a fiddler, and she thought of me so she forwarded the email to me).

I've also had a recording artist or two call me up after seeing my profile on V.com!! :)

I've been finding out that you just gotta be in touch, pass out business cards, let people know what you do, and follow up on every possible chance that comes your way. And don't be disuaded just because your first gig isn't with some enormously popular group - chances are the group you are recording with will know someone who knows someone who...:)

From Tim Dale
Posted on June 13, 2007 at 01:13 AM
I'm in a rock band and I play electric violin
I live in a small town in Ohio, it might just me being lucky, but about every guy in my year (school grade or whatever) is musicaly inclinded in someway with guitars or drums. Which might be kind of odd, but if you are forming a band, just walk up to someone and they will most likeley be able to fill the possition. We just happen to be very (very) short on singers and bassists (although we get by on the later, its the first that is kind of annoying)

in my town a violinist volenteering to get/use an electric violin in a rock band is a diamond in the rough, so yeah, my band is destined for sucsess... (terms and conditions apply... lol)

but yeah, I don't know if you are still in school, but if you are... it shouldn't be too hard

"SUPAH MASSIVE BLACK HOOOOLE!"

From Rob Schnautz
Posted on June 13, 2007 at 03:16 AM
I always find it ironic when the musicians in a band are able to play multiple types of instruments: take They Might Be Giants, for example:

John Flansburgh plays guitar (6- and 12-string), drums, bass guitar, keyboard, melodica, piano, harmonica, tremolo harmonica, trumpet (sometimes two at once, although it's little to be proud of), and organ (not to mention egg shakers and kazoos).

John Linnell plays accordion, bari/tenor/bass sax, guitar, banjo, clarinet, bass clarinet, harmonica, bass harmonica, Kaoss Pad, piano, organ, stylophone, violin, xylophone, Marxophone, chainsaw, and Dustbuster.

Okay...I admit, these guys probably aren't good examples of multi-instrument musicians, as the quality of their music has some pretty low standards. But I have noticed that it's quite common for one or two members of a band to play three or four different seemingly unrelated instruments. It always made me wonder, especially when that musician was also a main singer.

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two