Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Bow rehairs in New York City

Instruments: Can anyone reccommend a good place to get bow rehairs in NYC?

From Michelle Kim
Posted July 13, 2006 at 04:01 AM

I just moved to New York City from Los Angeles and I'm looking for a place to get bow rehairs. I would rather get opinions from people who know places first-hand rather than randomly look up a place online. Does anyone know of a place that does really good rehairs?

Also, I've never lived in a place before that's so humid! Is there anything I should know about or do living in this much different climate?

Thanks!

From Nathan Cole
Posted on July 13, 2006 at 01:20 PM
Please visit Yung Chin at 250 W 54th. He's a bow maker in addition to doing great rehairs. And do you like food/wine? Let him tell you some stories or at least recommend places in the city and beyond.
From Gennady Filimonov
Posted on July 13, 2006 at 01:24 PM
William Salchow & Sons is also excellent.
While you are there, check out the bows of Isaac Salchow.
From Raphael Klayman
Posted on July 13, 2006 at 01:44 PM
Welcome to NY! For bow rehairing, I recommend John Hsu. 250 West 54 St., Bet B'way and 8th Ave., near Carnegie Hall, 8th floor. 212/581-6499. There are a number of other luthiers in the same building, including Salchow. If you use John, give him my regards!

Yes, the humidity here is awful in the late Spring and Summer! Obviously, air-conditioning helps a lot. Also, I keep one or two packets of silica granuels in each of my cases. It helps a little. This is like the little packets that come with a new camera. The size I use is bigger - about 3"X4". There are different brand names. They are usually available in hardware stores, and come about 6-8 to a box.

In the humid weather I also put a cardboard wedge under the fingerboards of each of my instruments to prevent the fingerboard from sinking to the belly. I remove it when I play. I custom fit each one so that it slides up a few inches (from the direction of the bridge to the direction of the scroll) and ends with a snug - but not too tight fit. There is some controversy about this, but I've been doing this for years with no problem. The main thing is not to shove it up too tightly - just snug enough so that when you hold the violin vertically, it doesn't fall down. I also rub a plain white candle over it to give it a slight wax coating so that it slides easily, and doesn't scratch the instrument.

Good luck!

From Michael Kogan
Posted on July 18, 2006 at 11:13 PM
Hello i lived in New York For six month and i recommand to Salchow and Sons the adress is:b 250 West 54th Street, Rm. 805
New York, New York 10019
Phone: (212) 586- 4805 Fax: (212) 586- 4818
Business Hours: Monday- Friday 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.

Cheers.

From Michelle Kim
Posted on July 20, 2006 at 07:29 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded! I called Salchow and Sons and will probably get my bow rehaired there, they told me the rate was $65 plus tax which is way more than I'm used to paying for a rehair (around $40 in LA). Is this the normal rate around here?

Well, not like I have much choice anyway. :) I will probably try all the places suggested during my year here, unless I end up staying with one that did a great job. Thanks again.

From Pieter Viljoen
Posted on July 20, 2006 at 09:43 PM
yea... a good rate compared to some, and they're very good.
From Tim Chi
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 01:08 PM
Hi Michelle,

If I were you, I would try Salchow first. Yung Chin is supposed to be great also. I am extremely picky about hair quality. It takes a bit of search to get the best bow hair these days.

Nope, unfortunately they are not all the same. Many shops have these nice-looking and bleached fine hair, which is too thin and doesn't grip. Often brittle because of overbleaching too...

Good Luck!

From Angelo Eftimeo
Posted on July 24, 2006 at 09:07 PM
Don't Know Hsu, Yung Chin and Salchow are very well respected in bows, but they may not be the person actually rehairing the bow (a question worth asking at any shop-who is actually doing the rehair). Better rehairs start with better hair, so paying slightly more will save you the trouble that you would get using a lower quality hair.
From Michelle Kim
Posted on July 27, 2006 at 08:50 PM
thanks to everyone who responded, I am happy with the rehair from Salchow and Sons. It is better than the last few rehairs I've gotten (in LA).
From Eric John-FĂ©lix Livingston
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 10:46 PM
I have had mixed results with Salchow and Morel. I've found Greg Wylie's work to be the cleanest and most attentive--he does all the work alone, and his prices are most reasonable.

His atelier is by Columbus Circle. His number is 212.713.0027.

Eric

From Alexander Guth
Posted on January 30, 2013 at 05:05 PM
We at AZG Musical (Brooklyn, NY) do bow rehairing for violins and cellos in our own shop. Pease visit our web site azgmusical.com for full contact info.
From Raphael Klayman
Posted on February 4, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Since last posting back in 2006 John Hsu moved to New Jersey. These days in Manhattan I use and recommend Nicholas Caraccio at 2067 Broadway, suite 57-58, near 72nd St. 212.799.9191.

Of course Salchow is excelllent, and also for bow attributions.

From Darrett Smith
Posted on February 4, 2013 at 02:07 PM
I've used Nick Caraccio for the last three years, and highly recommend him - great guy, and if he promises to get you your bow at a certain time, he will have it for you at his shop at that time, and be there to hand it to you (even if he has pneumonia and has to rush home or to the doctor immediately afterward) - a real man of honor. Also, he does my favorite rehairs, and makes wonderful bows as well.

Matthias Lehner is another great bow rehairer (and I heard his bows are great as well, but he's too busy to make one for the last few years), and another top-notch character.

I like going to them because I know for sure that they're the ones doing the work, and I trust them implicitly!
Salchow's is also good, of course, but you have no idea who will be doing the work for you unless you request somebody specific; Isaac can't be beat if you're looking to get a bow appraised, though.

"Delve into the delicate nuances of creativity"

Hilary Hahn Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Lady Victory

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Violinist.com editor Laurie Niles is in Indianapolis for our daily coverage of the ninth quadrennial international violin competition.