Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Terezin Camp, Violin Concerto

Repertoire: I am looking for the Violin Concerto of the Terezin Concentration Camp's composers,do you know any?Thanks

From SERGEY OSTROVSKY
Posted April 10, 2006 at 11:10 PM

Hello,
I am looking for the Violin Concerto of the Terezin Concentration Camp's composers,do you know any?Thanks

From jerry kleiman
Posted on April 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM
This is probably not the answer you are looking for, but there is a piece for a string quartet, called Praeludium, by Viktor Kohn (b.1899) which was performed in Terezin. Kohn died in Auschwitz 10/44. It will, in fact, be performed in our local synagogue on 4/24/06 to commenorate Yom HoShoah.
From Larry Snyder
Posted on April 11, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Joza Karas, in his book Music in Terezin, 1941-1945 (Beaufort Books, NYC: 1985) has an appendix of all compositions known to him that were written in the camp. There are a number of string quartets and quartet movements, a few string trios, and a couple of string duos, but no concerti. Composers writing for strings in the list include Frantisek Domazlicky, David Gruenfeld, Gideon Klein, Viktor Kohn, Hans Krasa, Egon Ledec, Zikmund Schul, and Viktor Ullmann. My apologies for not being able to include the haceks and other diacritical marks in the spelling of these names.
From Jonathan Koch
Posted on April 11, 2006 at 01:00 AM
Viktor Ullman also wrote his third string quartet while at Terezin. Hans Krasa and Pavel Haas were there as well, but I don't know of any violin concertos written there. You might be thinking of the "Concerto Funebre" by Karl Amadeus Hartmann, which was written in response to the Holocaust.
From Maura Gerety
Posted on April 11, 2006 at 01:58 AM
I heard a bit of the Concerto Funebre on the radio last year and completely loved it. Does anyone know if it is still in print?
From Kenny Choy
Posted on April 11, 2006 at 02:32 PM
Concerto Funebre - Hartmann for Violin & Piano
Publisher: Schott & Co
Catalogue ref: ED5167
From Maura Gerety
Posted on April 11, 2006 at 02:34 PM
Thanks! Maybe I'll get it in time for Yom Hashoah--next year. :)
From SERGEY OSTROVSKY
Posted on April 13, 2006 at 07:48 PM
Thank you guys...I didn't think about Hartmann ,but I will look for this dedication, since the only one I found violin concerto of is-
Frantisek Domazlicky-Violin concerto n1 1961 and n2 1975...He survived in Terezin,fortunately...
From Claude Torres
Posted on April 27, 2006 at 10:10 AM
Hi,

As far as can say there is not any violin concerto written in Terezin.
See my site
http://claudet.club.fr/Terezin/index.html

Sincerely
Claude Torres

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback