Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Teaching Methodologies - Suzuki and Geza Szilvay Colour Strings

Teaching and Pedagogy: If you have studied with either of these methods it doesn't matter.... i would just like everyones input

From Natalie Little
Posted March 12, 2006 at 05:52 PM

Hi everyone. Bare with me here I dont really know how to explain it succinctly. A while back I asked why Suzuki was so popular in america because I was interested. Now I'm not only interested but doing a uni assignment on the differences between Suzuki method and Geza Szilvay's method. Basically I can find information on both systems for myself - so what im really asking is what you thought of the way you were taught? did you like it? if you are teaching now are you using the same methods? did you feel it lacked in anyway..... i'd really appreciate you sharing your experiences as i know that it will be different for every single person here. Thankyou so much guys.... i'll await your replies, Nat

From janet griffiths
Posted on March 13, 2006 at 02:15 PM
Ok Nat,lets see if I can get the ball rolling for you.Although both of the above methologies were written with very young children in mind they start with very different concepts.The colour strings method is designed to start understanding the printed score right from the begiining.However it should be stressed that most of the early tunes will already be well known to the children as they usually have a preparatory year of singing and rhythm games.Thr approach is based on the moving Do,thus all the open strings are the tonic of the first tunes.Each string is given a different colour and the early reading is printed in the colour of the strings.Thus all the notes on th g string are printed in green,on the d string in red etc.A coloured strip is also placed on the violin under the strings.The score builds up from a single line stave.Much emphasis is placed on orchestral playing and even the beginners find that some of the early tunes allow them to become a protaganist in an orchestral setting with more advanced pupils playing the accompanying parts.As in Suzuki the results of the Szilvay brothers are excellent but they are both excellent teachers and have developed this method.Whether similar results are obtained by less gifted teachers will probably bring us into the same argumentataive circle as the Suzuki method.
From Natalie Little
Posted on March 13, 2006 at 09:06 PM
Thanks for writing back. I know i posed a pretty difficult topic to answer... but thanks it gets me started in the right direction. The assessment is a discussion for 20 - 30 mins, i think i played violin when i was younger so it wasn't necessary to talk in front of people.. hehe anyways thankyou immensely. Nat.
From Kate Maloney
Posted on March 15, 2006 at 02:43 AM
Hi,
well, I started with the suzuki method. the thing with it is, it gives you a pretty good base. But you cant go to far with it, and its pointless even to finish the bookd (unless you want the glory of being one of the only ones to do it;) I stopped after around book 7, because after a while all the peices start to get the same. Theres never any realy new stuff, and the thing is, when you go to institutes and stuff, I get so SICk of the peices! Ive probably played each at least 500 times.
The one really good thing botu suzuki, is the atmosphere. I knnow so many people just from institutes, (aka, my boyfriend:) and its just such a fun group of people, that are all in it together. Also, you always have stuff in common with the others, cause you play the same peices.
Kate

"Delve into the delicate nuances of creativity"

Hilary Hahn Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two