Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

The best magazine to keep you informed about the violin?

Repertoire: I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a violin magazine that keeps you informed of the violin world?

From Brian Sura
Posted January 29, 2006 at 11:12 PM

Right now I only know about peices/ composers my teacher gives me. But if I were to subscribe to a violin magazine I should be able to learn new composers names and learn new things in general about the violin/violin world.

Anyone here subscribed to a violin magazine? What are the best violin magazines out there? Thanks again!

From Sarah Wallin
Posted on January 30, 2006 at 03:41 AM
Hi! I really like "Strings":

http://magazine-directory.com/Strings.htm

There are articles on music from Classical, to contemporary, to fiddle, .... everything! Historical stories, samples of pieces, practice tips, etc, etc, etc... :)

From John Taylor
Posted on January 30, 2006 at 11:19 PM
Hi Mike.You must start reading.....THE STRAD ..... voice of the string music world since 1890. The magazine comes out monthly and can be ordered from your local newsagent $7.95 cheers!
From Jessica Smith
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 12:26 AM
I second Strings.
From Katie Bailey Waller
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 03:10 AM
I like "Strings" magazine, too. They cover many styles including a "fiddle style" now and then.
My favorite for fiddle info is "Fiddler Magazine"
http://www.fiddle.com/
From Neil Cameron
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 03:13 AM
The Strad.

I get both Strings and The Strad and while The Strad is significantly more expensive for those of us here in the US/Canada, it's IMHO infinitely better. I'll stress that that is just my opinion, but I find it a much classier, more all-encompassing, significantly better written magazine.

Neil

From Joseph Galamba
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 03:24 AM
I had a strings magazine subscription for a while, but the articles are largely the same every year in like three or four of the ten volumes. I didn't resubscribe ><

The strad looks much better to me, and it's been around for an eternity (no joke)

From Christian Vachon
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 04:32 PM
Hi,

Strad Magazine, hands down.

Cheers!

From Marty Dalton
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 05:14 PM
Penthouse. Everything you need to know is in there.
From Christian Vachon
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 06:34 PM
Hi,

Marty - LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

From Linda Lerskier
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 09:15 PM
First thing that came to mind is Housekeeping. Then I said, "Strings or The Strad."
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on January 31, 2006 at 10:50 PM
Greetings,
I have always wondered who `MD` was in the letters section,
Cheers,
Buri
From Jesse Irons
Posted on February 1, 2006 at 02:52 PM
To me, Strings is painful to read. The last issue I picked up (last year) was poorly researched, poorly edited, and superficial in content.

I no longer subscribe to Strad, because of the cost, but it is in a different league from Strings. Excellent, meaty, challenging articles - not much fluff - and I always feel like I've learned something after reading an article. Plus, it's beautiful.

From Brian Sura
Posted on February 1, 2006 at 11:57 PM
Ok so the Strad magazine it is, can't wait to order it.

P.S. thanks for the help marty

From Brian Sura
Posted on February 1, 2006 at 11:58 PM
Thanks everybody
From Neil Cameron
Posted on February 2, 2006 at 12:43 AM
My latest issue of Strings just arrived. Now I remember why I cancelled the subscription last time. What an unadulterated pile of fire-lighting material!!

Way to go with ordering The Strad, Brian.

Neil

From Nicky Enderby
Posted on February 21, 2006 at 09:50 PM
Hey guys,

Got to be The Strad. All the way. My mum posts it on to me in a care package whilst I'm at uni!

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on February 21, 2006 at 11:10 PM
Geez, when I were at Uni we has to use magazines to keep the wind out of the cardboard boxes we lives in. Course the prunes cause problems on the inside...
Cheers,
Buri
From audubon strings
Posted on November 17, 2008 at 03:48 AM
From Kevin Huang
Posted on August 9, 2006 at 12:45 AM
Violin magazines are cool, but violinist.com is far more interesting to me than any printed periodical is.
From Giancarlo L
Posted on November 16, 2008 at 02:45 PM

Well, I don't want to burst my own bubble, so to speak, but I publish a magazine completely, 100 percent violin stuff. I have interviewed Anne Sophie Mutter, Joshua Bell, Vadim Repin, Hilary Hahn, Leila Josefowicz, Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg, Christian Tetzlaff, violin maker Joseph Curtin, and many, many more. Each issue also has tons of practice tips, reviews of concerts and CDs and DVDs, and much more.

For more information you can email me at violonetto@yahoo.com

Other than that, I really prefer the Strad over Strings,although Strings is much more affordable.

From Bill Walderman
Posted on November 16, 2008 at 03:32 PM

I subscribe to both The Strad and Strings and enjoy reading both of them.  The Strad is more restricted to European classical music (although they've been trying to expand their coverage recently, probably in response to competition from Strings).  The Strad has more pictures of handsome violins.  They're fun to read but both are mainly vehicles to sell advertising.

The magazines can inform you about the "violin world," by offering reviews of concerts you didn't hear and recordings, competitions, gushing articles about famous violinists, and brief interviews with some of them, as well as some pointers on technique, but these won't contribute to your knowledge or mastery of the instrument in any significant way.  You'll learn who the most admired contemporary violinists are and a smattering of history, but nothing really substantial.  The interviews all say the same thing--which is, in a word, nothing.  They're full of misleading and inane statements such as "You must always remain faithful to the composer's intentions."

To learn more about the history of the violin and the full range of music written for it, you'll have to read books voraciously and listen to music--live music to the extent you can and recorded music to the extent that price or geography are obstacles to hearing live music.

From Bob Annis
Posted on November 16, 2008 at 03:44 PM

Personally, I can't afford the Strad, and I subscribe to Strings when I get a lowball offer, but I find that the main violin websites, of which this is certainly one, are far more interesting, timely and informative than any magazine.

Plus I can reach out and annoy someone from the comforts of home. The entertainment value is enormous.

From Anne-Marie Proulx
Posted on November 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Bill, I often find this too!

Imagine for the poor soloists who had been ask 350 times why they like composer x, why did they record concerto x, how do they like conductor or partener x, what will be the next album, and a few more personnal questions such as how is it to travel all the time etc.  They must get boared even if they are (I suppose) happy to be asked in interview.  So, I think they try to say the best answer they can find. (We wouldn't do better) And what about all the things they cannot say because it isn't politically correct.  They must hate some conductors/partners/concertos(especially modern ones (JOKE!!!!!!!!!) this issue as a whole discussion on it already!)

I don't have anything more to say about this... but I'm not saying the content is no good and it can be interesting to read I just felt sorry for those whe were interviewed!

Anne-Marie

From Julia Hamilton
Posted on November 16, 2008 at 03:58 PM

I subscribe to teen strings, as i am a teen, but sometimes i buy strings magaine aswell. Both keep me informed nicely :)

From Michael Divino
Posted on November 17, 2008 at 04:07 AM

strad does look very good, and so does strings.

i think it's like choosing between food and wine, bon apetit or gourmet.

where can you buy just individual issues? 

"Delve into the delicate nuances of creativity"

Hilary Hahn Violinist Hilary Hahn offers the foreword to The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, an engaging collection of interviews with some of the world's top violinists, including Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, David Garrett, and of course, Hilary herself.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two