Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Jay Haide violins

Instruments: Experience with Jay Haide violins (Ifshin)

From John Black
Posted January 21, 2006 at 08:04 AM

I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with Jay Haide violins? I have the opportunity to buy one, but am not sure as to what their tonal (and artistic) value is. Comments greatly appreciated.

best,
john

From Michael Darnton
Posted on January 21, 2006 at 03:50 PM

First, a disclaimer: I sell them. The reason, however, that I sell them is that they're good. There are a lot of different models, but the Ancienne models are the best, and they're disproportionately good for their price.

The right way to buy a violin, though, is not by the name, but by the violin--that is, get several different violins in the same price range and pick the one you like the best, regardless of the name.

From John Taylor
Posted on January 21, 2006 at 06:09 PM
I live in the uk and i bought a Jay Haide Ancienne model baroque violin.For the money i paid i consider it good value.Most of these violins are made in a small workshop in China.Sound and workmanship are top quality.
From Christian Vachon
Posted on January 21, 2006 at 08:40 PM
Hi,

I second Michael Darnton's words on this one. Excellent post Michael! I have a student who bought a Jay Haide Ancienne, Guarneri model, and it was a really good bargain for the price. Michael is right, it's all about the sound!

Cheers!

From Joseph Galamba
Posted on January 22, 2006 at 06:07 AM
I play a Jay Haide. It's a great deal ^^

When I bought it, my violin was 680 dollars or so and came with hardwood fittings. Now the same violin costs 780 dollars and my friend was given plastic fittings. It's still a good deal, but I'm a little dissapointed that Ifshins did that. Of course, that doesn't effect that quality of the instrument. I've been very very happy with their bottom model, it really fills up a room nicely, so I'm sure that the upper models would be even better.

Let's see...my personal experience with my violin. (keep in mind every violin will be different). It has a bright tone and huge volume. As such, it sticks out a little in chamber music. In very high passages it tends to make an audible whispering sound and it's hard to get a good sound. Even then though, it has a good tone, nice and even on all the strings, easy to play, resonates nicely. A great deal for a student violin ^^ They're way better than the violins some people buy for aroud fifteen hundred dollars or so, bleg.

From janet griffiths
Posted on January 22, 2006 at 09:07 AM
I also have a young pupil who has purchased an 'Ancienne' model and it has a lovely warm tone.For the price they paid it was an excellent bargain.
From Samantha H
Posted on January 22, 2006 at 02:38 PM
I purchased a 3/4 Jay Haide and I loved my time with it. The tone was amazing....before we bought it, we compared it to some very expensive French violins, and I liked the tone of the not so expensive Jay Haide better...
From John Black
Posted on January 22, 2006 at 03:23 PM
Hi everyone,

Thanks for these helpful comments! Are there any more experiences with these violins?

From Alan Wittert
Posted on January 22, 2006 at 10:02 PM
I got a Haide l'ancienne model too. I tried about 12 of them; none were bad and I'm quite happy with the one I got. Good value, pretty instrument, warm tone: nice close up and far away.
From Andrew Banta
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 05:34 AM
Haide l'ancienne, good choice. The other models, to me, sound a bit shrill, and empty. Not to mention cheap. However, the Haide l'ancienne seems to be another story all together. It has been years since I played one. The only Ifshin made violin I would even consider. Remember if no one ever bought a new instrument, nothing would ever mature and grow old. Gotta start somewhere.
From John Black
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 11:13 AM
Thanks!

A question to Michael Darnton, you sell these instruments -- does the ancienne model have ebony tailpiece and pegs?

Best,
John

From Michael Darnton
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 01:06 PM
All of the models I have are sold with wood fittings--I've never seen one with plastic pegs, but we do offer a plastic tailpiece with adjusters as an upgrade. The anciennes have ebony, and the lower models have some wood I'm not familiar with that looks like teak.
From David Rubin
Posted on January 23, 2006 at 02:07 PM
I rented the low-end Jay Haide (Model 101?) for a while. It looked and felt good. The sound was even and sweet, but didn't have much projection. Plus, over time an annoying buzz developed, but that could have been due to any number of things not related to the instrument itself.

Then I tried an "a la ancienne". It was entirely different. Huge sound, and very sweet and warm. I thought it was lacking a little bit in projection at the low-end, and my teacher thought that the middle-register was kind of muddy. Still, it was a great violin. You really can't go wrong with them.

From Tim C
Posted on January 24, 2006 at 04:35 AM
The ancienne is a wonderful instrument. I could never part with mine... It has become and extension of who I am. Tim
From Bobby Keyes
Posted on May 21, 2008 at 12:42 AM
I have an ancienne on loan right now while my fiddle is getting new pegs. When I first bowed the Ifshin Jay Haide made in 2008-- WOW! was my first thought: such resonance and full tone! I don't know what kind of strings are on it, but Jay Haide has a wonderful full tone from open G to way up there in 5th position on the E. The violin rings on every note with great dynamic range. I am considering buying it. I was a little put off when found out it is Chinese, but the proof is in the sound and workmanship. It seems a little light weight compared to my German Strad copy, and the Haide neck seems a bit 'thick', but that's not a big deal compared to the way it sounds and the way it looks.
From Bryan Sardoch
Posted on May 16, 2009 at 02:35 AM

Bobby -- did you end up purchasing the Jay Haide?  What do you think now that it's nearly been a year?

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.