Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Higher chin rests

Health: Opinions of higher than average chin rests? Anyone use any higher ones?

From Demetrius Glew
Posted December 11, 2005 at 05:36 AM

I currently use a Flesch (central) rest and I like it, but I have to add lots of height by stuffing padding up my shirt. It would be great to try some higher rests.

I have read about SAS chin rests, that are available in about 4 heights and adjustable.

Any comments?

From Demetrius Glew
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 12:44 PM

Am I alone here :( No comments at all?!

From scott klappenbach
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 01:22 PM
Don't you hate it when nobody responds to your post?
Anyway, why don't you just try an adjustable shoulder rest under the instrument?
From Kristian Rahbek Knudsen
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 04:55 PM
I tried the SAS chinrest. It works for some people but not me. It's not very stabile and if you play en expensive instrument I would strongly advise against it. The clamping mechanism is really dangerous for the instrument! Take a more conventional chinrest and save the repair money!
From Kimberley Strong
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 07:02 PM
How about a wolf shoulder rest? They are pretty high.
From Milly Leitner
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 09:15 PM
Wolf Secondos come with extensions to make them even higher than normal - and they go pretty high as it is.
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 11:04 PM
Greetings,
I am somewhta inclined to agree with Kristian.
Cheers,
Buri
From Sandy Ung
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 11:11 PM
I have the *exact* same problem. So i went to see the head of strings at my uni and he suggested that instead of rasiging my shoulder more than it already it (it was already raised up as much as it could be!) to get my chin rest raised instead. At teh time I had a Flesch but it had a lump in the middle of the chin rest, so I had to buy the flat Flesch chin rest and get that raised up but at least 2cm.
I've had my built up chin rest and wolf shoulder rest (raised up to the max) for a few months and I'm *extremly* glad that I got my chin rest built up, I don't feel tension on my left side anymore and it's especially good seeing as though I have a long neck.
I suggest that if you've raised your shoulder rest high enough already and it's still short, it may be worth getting your chin rest built up.
I hope my ramblings just then helped.
From Jessica Smith
Posted on December 13, 2005 at 11:42 PM
Just another idea-

I use a Viva rest with an extended foot on it (I got it from the local epair shop). I think its nice, but most of my violin playing friends hate that set up. You can also (I think) get an extended foot fro Kun and other similar shoulder rests.

From Sandy Ung
Posted on December 14, 2005 at 12:00 AM
Oh, i forgot to mention that my wolf shoulder rest also has the extensions on them too...
From Demetrius Glew
Posted on December 14, 2005 at 04:58 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

I did wonder about the SAS clamping from the pictures I've seen. I will try the Wolf Secondo rest, because I don't really get on with the Kun when it is extended a lot, it hurts my shoulder. I tried the Wolf FortePrimo a while back but didn't like that.

Sandy, how exactly did you build up the chin rest?

From Sandy Ung
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 01:22 AM
Hey,
I went to a violin luthier or anyoen that fixed violins and he put somespecial carved wood underneath the chin rest, so that the wood would be put inbetween the cork and the actual chin rest itself. Hopefully that made *some* sense. Or if you want I could take a photo of it and send it to you.
From Demetrius Glew
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 09:11 PM
Thanks Sandy, I think I get it. So the cork touches the violin as usual, then the extra height is inserted with wood between the cork and the chin rest itself. Silly me, I think I have just repeated what you wrote :)
From Jim Hoyle
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 10:53 PM
I do this on violin as I use viola chinrests on both - just cork flooring from a DIY store is fine. I use this with Playonair rests for a bit of grip and find it a great improvement over normal shoulder rests.

It's worth getting a few chinrests and experimenting, you can usually send the ones you don't need back, unless you procrastinate like me and end up keeping them.

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on December 15, 2005 at 11:00 PM
Greetings,
you can actually raise the height of the chinrest using only cork to a substantial degree. However, I suspect there is a point of no return where this has a damping effect on the sound.
The other way to raise the chinrest is by using modelling clay -on top-wrapped in cling film
Cheers,
Buri
From Agata Jablonska
Posted on March 24, 2008 at 09:54 PM
Hi, maybe stupid question. Will I have any troubles with raising a chinrest with hill style clamps?? I don't know how this mounting precisly looks like, because I always have standard mounting. And I want to order chinrest with hill clamps.
From Pauline Lerner
Posted on March 25, 2008 at 12:02 AM
I have a long neck, and I use the Comford Shoulder Cradle (http://www.comfortllc.com/Home.htm.). It comes in two heights. The combination of the foam used and the solid material under it make it the most comfortable shoulder rest I've ever tried or used. It's expensive, but well worth it.

Another shoulder rest which is good for long necks is the Bonair. Its advantage is that you can bend it to fit your shoulder.

From Michael Schallock
Posted on March 25, 2008 at 12:08 AM
I feel I should comment here. I think you are perhaps confusing the function of the chin rest and shoulder rest. The chin rest height is used to adjust the distance from the collarbone to jaw. The shoulder rest or pad is used to fill the space between the low spot near the shoulder and the back of the violin. You can refer to my article on this site "How to Hold A Violin" for more detailed information.

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback