Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Music-Related Scholarships

Competitions: Are there any private scholarships related to violin or music in general that don't apply to particular schools?

From Ruth Kuefler
Posted November 24, 2005 at 03:35 PM

Hi all, I'm a high school junior getting serious about scholarships (hey, I figure we musicians can use all the help we can get). Anyway, I'm having a hard time finding private scholarships that make use of my music abilities. Here's what I have so far:

Arts Recognition and Talent Search
School Band and Orchestra Magazing Essay Contest
Adventure Scholars Arts Leadership Scholarship

Also, there's a bunch scholarhips from the National Foundation of Music Clubs, but I don't know how they work or if they're worth it.

Has anyone heard of these or done them? What other ones do you know of. To help narrow down suggestions, I should let you know that I'm homeschooled, not a prodigy (but fairly advanced). I am looking for suggestions of any scholarships requiring audition tapes, essays, resumes, etc. related to violin or music in general that don't apply to particular schools.

Thanks!!

From Julie C.
Posted on November 24, 2005 at 05:47 PM
Most music scholarships are for seniors applying for colleges, as the scholarship goes to your freshman year in college or is spread throughout four years. If you want to get money for your talent, you should try some violin competitions!

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle