Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Sojing Violins

Instruments: Has anyone ever heard of them?

From Aaron Letizia
Posted August 27, 2005 at 07:45 AM

Has anyone heard of Sojing electric violins, and if so, are they a pretty good brand, or are they pieces of crap.

From Samantha MacGregor
Posted on November 15, 2005 at 09:39 PM
I have a Sojing 4 string electric. It is okay for what I wanted it for, but it is definately on the cheap side. From what I know, they make all different types, so maybe some are better. (Then again, for all I know, mine could be a cheap knock-off) The one I have, is plastic, but I got it because I wanted something I could play quietly at night when the kids are sleeping so for me it is fine.
From Bruno Bourgoin
Posted on November 16, 2005 at 05:46 PM
Hello,

I also bought one of the Sojing electric/silent violins from ebay. I got it for 41$US and you get what you pay for. After a week or so, the strings settle and tuning is only minor adjustments after that. It's loud enough to play without the headphones (which I recommend - the sound quality through the pickup and headphones is attrocious). It also took me quite a while to figure out how to hold it as the model I have has a huge hole where my shoulder should be.

I bought it because I just started playing and wanted to "try" it out without spending too much money and I live in close priximity to neighbours who might not have appreciated my initial growing pains.

I don't regret buying it - although I will be purchasing a proper student violin VERY soon. I can see myself still using the Sojing in cases where I need to be quiet, or on trips to keep up my practice.

If you do get one, just don't expect a fine piece of workmanship. It's a cheap - although playable - instrument. It does have it's own issues (proper position and hold can be diffucult), and I read somewhere that the strings are a bit far from the fingerboard - which could contribute to my total inability to create any semblance of vibrato due the the amount of pressure I have to apply to the strings (or maybe it's because I'm just starting). You may also want to purchase 3 more fine tunners for the G,D,and A strings since the tunning pegs and shanks are plastic - coarse tunning is easy, but fine tunning with the pegs alone an be challenging.

Don't know if this helps, but that's what I have from my experience.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle