Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Sojing Violins

Instruments: Has anyone ever heard of them?

From Aaron Letizia
Posted August 27, 2005 at 07:45 AM

Has anyone heard of Sojing electric violins, and if so, are they a pretty good brand, or are they pieces of crap.

From Samantha MacGregor
Posted on November 15, 2005 at 09:39 PM
I have a Sojing 4 string electric. It is okay for what I wanted it for, but it is definately on the cheap side. From what I know, they make all different types, so maybe some are better. (Then again, for all I know, mine could be a cheap knock-off) The one I have, is plastic, but I got it because I wanted something I could play quietly at night when the kids are sleeping so for me it is fine.
From Bruno Bourgoin
Posted on November 16, 2005 at 05:46 PM
Hello,

I also bought one of the Sojing electric/silent violins from ebay. I got it for 41$US and you get what you pay for. After a week or so, the strings settle and tuning is only minor adjustments after that. It's loud enough to play without the headphones (which I recommend - the sound quality through the pickup and headphones is attrocious). It also took me quite a while to figure out how to hold it as the model I have has a huge hole where my shoulder should be.

I bought it because I just started playing and wanted to "try" it out without spending too much money and I live in close priximity to neighbours who might not have appreciated my initial growing pains.

I don't regret buying it - although I will be purchasing a proper student violin VERY soon. I can see myself still using the Sojing in cases where I need to be quiet, or on trips to keep up my practice.

If you do get one, just don't expect a fine piece of workmanship. It's a cheap - although playable - instrument. It does have it's own issues (proper position and hold can be diffucult), and I read somewhere that the strings are a bit far from the fingerboard - which could contribute to my total inability to create any semblance of vibrato due the the amount of pressure I have to apply to the strings (or maybe it's because I'm just starting). You may also want to purchase 3 more fine tunners for the G,D,and A strings since the tunning pegs and shanks are plastic - coarse tunning is easy, but fine tunning with the pegs alone an be challenging.

Don't know if this helps, but that's what I have from my experience.

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.