Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Vanessa Mae : Choreography

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: Is it good?

From Nisha Bala
Posted June 6, 2005 at 10:43 PM

What does everyone think of Vanessa Mae's Choreography album? I honestly think she did better in her previous attempts at recording pop-violin music.

IMHO, this album is way TOO pop and too LITTLE violin playing.

From Nick Wong
Posted on June 7, 2005 at 03:53 AM
Poor Venessa Mae has already been bashed enough times in this forum. Let's not begin another thread again. :)
From William Yap
Posted on July 11, 2005 at 05:47 AM
I was once a Vanessa mae fan. To be fair to her, I actually bought her Choreography thinking I would give her music another go. I was very disappointed. I actually felt sorry for not liking her music anymore.
From Cindi Qi
Posted on September 20, 2005 at 03:39 AM
its pretty cool. But not my cup of tea.
From Toni Furman
Posted on November 10, 2005 at 06:35 AM
i think vanessa mae is a great violinist
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 08:48 PM
i think vanessa mae is one of the greatest violinists out there she inspired me to play other generes of music and showed and is showing the world that the violin is way more than classical music and Bach and Beethoven.
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 09:24 PM
I've seen some videos of Vanessa Mae on YouTube and it reminds of all the Yanni/John Tesh/Bond pseudo-classical techno pop. Let's just say it's not my cup of tea.
From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 09:48 PM
Here's another foxy chic (blonde Austrian and 23 years old for you to search on the net & drool at) - she is Lidia Baich (winner of the 1998 Eurovision contest). She was here recently and I had photos taken with at a press conference (with my arms around her shoulder). She's hot! Check out www.lidiabaich.com - that's her site. Another site to check out is: http://www.milanpolak.com/discography.htm (She features on a violin CD with a guitarist called Sex & Violins). Alternatively see: www.musicandcdreview.com [Much nicer than Vanessa Mae in my opinion]
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 10:26 PM
Mike do you like any non classical violinist?,if so please tell me who.
From Barry Berman
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 10:50 PM
I think her best is "Storm". However, "Choreography" is growing on me. When I first bought it about a year ago (I bought it overseas), I hated it. I thought she phoned in the performance. However, she's actually grown as an artist, there's less classical, and more dance, which is fun to me.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 11:18 PM
so true vanessa mae is soooooooooooooo kickass.
From Clarissa Ng
Posted on March 16, 2006 at 11:41 PM
I got her 2nd album ("The Violin Player") and the one released just before the Hong Kong handover in 1997. I thought she was quite good and indeed she inspired me as well, though I must agree with the others that she's gone a bit too pop nowadays. Oh well, those 2 albums are still good. =)
From David Rubin
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 04:45 AM
I actually like Choreography.
::finds somewhere to hide::
From William Yap
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 05:56 AM
The effort in Vanessa Mae is much better than the Bond. All I hear from Bond's "Classified" is endless repeat of a few bars (measures). Can they be more lazy?? At least Vanessa Mae has the decency to put some effort into making her music interesting. Still, agree... too much pop, not enough actual violin playing.
From Nick Chan
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 09:53 AM
as a famous pop-violinist, she's regarded overly hyped, overrated as a classical performer. listen carefully to her "Classical Album" playing Bruch, she's still the very much the child prodigy when she was 12. didn't notice any sloppiness. she plays with patience. not messy like Mutter. she's actually good.
From William Yap
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 10:27 AM
One thing I found lacking from Vanessa Mae is powerful tones. That said, she was one of my very first inspiration for taking up the violin. So, thank you VM!
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 01:08 PM
Are you guys serious? Better than ASM?

Right...next thing you guys will start saying is:
She's the female heifetz!

Please! Reality check?

Her pop stuff is great for those of you who can appreciate it. i actually believe that she's made violin (not necessarily classical violin) more mainstream...but what seems to be lacking in this world is the mainstream knowledge of CLASSICAL violin/music in general. This is why, I believe, Sydney has been trying to get Bell on Oprah.

Her intentions are great. She's doing what she loves. But please don't go on saying that she's better than so and so, or she's the greatest violinist today, because she can't be compared to other violinists who actually perform classical rep. maybe if she comes out with another classical album, it would shed new light on her, kinda like saying, "Hey, I'm still here! Watchout ASM, CHang, MIdori, Hahn!"

NOTE: her sarsate Carmen Fantasy is seriously...so sloppy and so...excruciating to listen to. Also: she leaves out the last movement which proves my case even more (because I think she can't play it personally)...

From Mike Harris
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 02:47 PM
Toni,

to answer your question
"Mike do you like any non classical violinist?,if so please tell me who."

Stephane Grappelli, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jerry Goodman, Sugarcane Harris, Papa John Creach, Mark O'Connor, Eileen Ivers, Kevin Burke, L. Shankar, L. Subramaniam, Andy McGann, Michael Doucet, Byron Berline, Tim O'Brien, Sid Paige, Sam Bush, John Hartford, Martin Hayes, Benny Thomasson--each one a veritable star in his or her respective area (jazz, rock, Irish, Indian, bluegrass, blues, Cajun). Most of these folks are still around and performing. As a matter of fact, Michael Doucet and Beausoleil are in town tomorrow for a free show in a big park on the lake, I think I'll go check them out...care to come along?

From Jim W. Miller
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 03:34 PM
No list of American fiddle players should leave out Stuart Duncan, one of the most powerful, I think.
sample
From Emily Grossman
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 07:00 PM
:)
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 17, 2006 at 07:48 PM
Jim, I know of Mr. Duncan's work but I don't personally own recordings of him so it would not have been right to list him as someone I listen to. I don't own any Joe Venuti, Stuff Smith, a lot of good players not on my list yet.

I forgot to list Sean Keane (of the Chieftains) on St. Patrick's Day.
How bad is that?

From hans w├╝rth
Posted on March 18, 2006 at 11:53 PM
Hello,

I was a fan of Vanessa Mae once when there was no other view into a good pop/rock violin scene and I wouldn't like my daughter (who chose violin as her instrument) to be a "classic violinist" as usual without feeling and nowadays music -
She has in my eyes done a very good job (if she did anything by herself at all and was not only pushed by her editors) on her first albums "violin player" and "storm" (2-3 extremely good pieces of music) but has afterwards not shown any own development so I now have put her in the drawer "dead".
If you like violin and want more than Vivaldi I would now recommend you Nigel Kennedy (doors concerto, plays Jazz, Hendrix experience), Regina Carter (freefall, music for Grace), Apocalyptica (this Cello intensity still waits to be transferred to violins), Joe Craven and maybe even Igor Epstein (Google him out),
Vanessa has (for me) left the Violin scene!

if you know good modern players I am always interested! The problem in the vionin scene is that good actual style violin does not sell and thus it is always difficult to get good records.

greetings

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 21, 2006 at 03:18 AM
so true but VM is comming out with a new album this year so mabye she will do an awsome Jimi Hendrix type shread on a distoried,synthisized electric violin that will be something.Oh and by the way have you ever thought about getting your daughter an electric violin?My mom woun't let me have one my dad dosen't mind me having one but who can overide the great and powerful mother.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 04:18 AM
a good example of a non classical classical violinist is Nigel Kennedy he's done jazz albums,rock ambums and pop albums plus he makes JB look like an out right elitist.
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 04:59 AM
Nigel Kennedy is an example of an utterly classically trained violinist. Period.
His toilet training is another issue entirely.
From D Wright
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 05:14 AM
nigel kennedy trains his toilets???
From rachel white
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 07:32 AM
I wish he would train one of his toilets to flush Toni Furman down it.
The world would be a better place.
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 11:12 AM
**bang bang**
From Amy F.
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 03:59 PM
hahahahahahahaha
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 05:24 PM
Actually, though this is not her thread, this is an area in which Toni seems uniquely qualified to comment since she actually likes the kind of schlocky crossover crap that Vanessa Mae puts out. That said, I disagree with her comments.
Also, I'm PO'd that she ended a thread of mine by placing consecutive multiple posts, saying in a bratty way that she was tired of the thread. If you're tired of it, simply don't read it. I have sometimes defended Toni because I believe in free speech and diversity, but this isn't simply a question of differences of opinion, this is civility vs. rudeness. For example, I have refrained from posting my secret message to TF

370HSSV-0773H

because I could never be so crass.

But if she screws with one of my threads again, I'm taking off the gloves.

From Jim W. Miller
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 06:03 PM
It's the age of polarization. Cons and libs. Whatever happened to "I might not like what you play, but I'll defend your right to play it"?:) Pretty sad. Wait, this was always polarized.
From Terez Mertes
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 07:07 PM
Mike wrote: "Also, I'm PO'd that she ended a thread of mine by placing consecutive multiple posts, saying in a bratty way that she was tired of the thread. If you're tired of it, simply don't read it."

You have my sympathies here. I had to go check out the thread when I saw your comment here and it made me shake my head in disbelief. Sorry you were cheated the final three legitimate replies to your question.

You also wrote: "I have refrained from posting my secret message (370HSSV-0773H) because I could never be so crass."

Oh, LOL! I have to know. I simply have to know what this secret message is. Brilliant, no matter what it turns out to mean. (We should all have secret messages so that we can say, "Oh yeah? Oh yeah, buddy? Well, 998RRS-6969OH to you!"

From Eric Godfrey
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 07:23 PM
Back on March 17th Mike Harris commented in this thread:
to answer your question
"Mike do you like any non classical violinist?,if so please tell me who."

Stephane Grappelli, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jerry Goodman, Sugarcane Harris, Papa John Creach, Mark O'Connor . . . " (snip)

Great list (though I think Grappelli is in a class by himself), but I didn't see Regina Carter on it. I heard an impressive jazz concert of hers last year in Madison, WI - techically accomplished, full of interesting and often very subtle musical ideas. And unselfish - although she was the headliner, she gave equal solo time to every member of her combo. At a preperformance discussion she was ingratiating, modest, and articulate - just delightful.

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 09:45 PM
Mike i did like your post its just that none of you guys believed the obvious truth that the top soloists are millionares and have somewhat pop star status,also VM is not crossover she like Bond are strickly pop, strings instruments are not desinged for a specific genre of music, another thing,you guys think that it is utterly impossible to become a pop star on the violin and that pop violinists are less talented than classical ones.
From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 09:56 PM
Hi everyone, I'm giving up further commentary on this thread. I think most of the others have better things to do with their time as well. I rest my case.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 10:12 PM
no i like this thread its the only thread on the entire website where rock lovin, electric violin lovin, popular music lovin, violinists can talk.
From bill _
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 10:48 PM
Rock and popular music are on the way out. Indierock and unpopular rap are in.
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 11:27 PM
Proud mother at military parade:
`Look, everybody is marching out of step except my son.`
From Jonathan Frohnen
Posted on March 22, 2006 at 11:28 PM
hahaha
From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 12:32 AM
Go talk to yourself and let the echoes resound.
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 12:48 AM
Terez,
some times we have to look at things from different angles, even if it means standing on our heads.

Let me know if you need more clues.

From Emil Chudnovsky
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 02:22 AM
Mike, BRILLIANT! Now lessee if I can use the code for other messages. (And there I was, trying to figure out numerical significance...)
From Terez Mertes
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 05:44 AM
Mike - oh, LOL!!!!!!

Hilarious. It's a keeper. I'm going to cut and paste it to my personal files right now. Will just have to make sure it's not the query document I send out to literary agents and editors. Wait... on the other hand, maybe that would give me a higher rate of response!

From Stephen Mayhew
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 06:40 PM
3po) u! U3^3 3pnJ woy
From Terez Mertes
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 09:06 PM
Stephen, I am in awe. Is there like a code book out there, or did you just make it up?

Echoing my earlier comment to Mike: simply brilliant.

From Terez Mertes
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 09:07 PM
Oh wait - "brilliant" was Emil's comment, not mine.

Okay, echoing (and embellishing on) Emil's comment...

From Mike Harris
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 09:44 PM
I have to confess...mine was borrowed from an old bin Laden/Bush joke.

nice work, Stephen.

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 09:59 PM
hey the violin can be used in indierock and unpopular rap too.And by the way jazz is hotter than ever now.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 10:06 PM
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!! Vanessa Mae is coming out with an album this summer it is supposed to showcase her pop electric violin sound that has made her an ought right pop star.
From Jim W. Miller
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 10:14 PM
The question is, can you hear her on the radio? If not, I heard Janine Jansen on it this morning. She was hot! Hot, hot, hot!
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 10:43 PM
Greetings,
I think it was her (al) bum that made her an outright pop star.
Cheers,
Burp
From Stephen Mayhew
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 11:04 PM
>|ooq 3po) ou u0!Lv3J) hw ||v s! L! uoh >|uvHL hHm
From Pieter Viljoen
Posted on March 23, 2006 at 11:21 PM
Toni,

Vanessa Mae just called me and would like me to relay a message to you:

Shut the hell up.

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 03:09 AM
hey i am speaking the truth and this thread is about Vanessa Mae and i know that you are reeling at the fact that she is an internationally known pop star,if you don't believe me look a her bio.
From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 08:57 AM
VM's violin also can be used for firewood.
From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 08:58 AM
Before all of us burn VM's violin, we'll tie the 4 strings together and hang you.
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 09:46 AM
And then we'll use VM's bow to beat VM unconscious...
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 09:54 AM
Oh, and to answer the discussion's primary question, NO choreography is NOT good...don't waste your 20 bucks on it...go buy milstein's brahms/tchaikovsky concerto recording for $4 and then go buy yourself a decent t-shirt...
From Stephen Mayhew
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 03:47 PM
Agreed Patrick! Very good ideas.

I have that Milstein CD. It was a really good deal. There's nothing wrong with it, either!

From bill _
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 04:12 PM
VM sucks. Greatkat is much better.
From Milstein DeusEst
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 05:45 PM
"Oh, and to answer the discussion's primary question, NO choreography is NOT good...don't waste your 20 bucks on it...go buy milstein's brahms/tchaikovsky concerto recording for $4 and then go buy yourself a decent t-shirt..."

That Milstein CD (Seraphim) is the single best purchase I have EVER made in my entire life. Oh. And I concur: Vanessa Mae's "Choreography" is not worth listening to.

From bill _
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 06:07 PM
Most of this "pop" stuff is so one-dimensional, mistaking speed for viruosity, distortion for musicality, mistaking heavy beat for creativity...

Some people just seem to take a bit longer to figure this out than others.

I have listened to--and enjoyed--plenty of rock and roll, punk, death metal, and just about every other thing you can imagine,including classical indian, Syrian, Javanese, Carnatic.... I have also listened to a lot of insipid attempts at euro-classical.

Perhaps the best thread that *ever* popped on this board was the one that Rick Barker made, where you had to listen to four clips of the same music, played by different people. What comes out of listening to those clips, one after the other, is a "wow" effect--so many ways to "get there" but what also comes out of it is an awareness of what it takes to be musical, and not merely noisy. Having short clips really highlights these differences in digestible bits.

If you want noise, go listen to Great Kat or any other "pop" types.

But what I like about Great Kat is her apparent message---her interviews are hilarious---she basically tells all the loser metal wannabes that if they don't learn to appreciate Beethoven, then they are losers. She's funny!

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 11:23 PM
VM is coming out with a new album it might blow you away.Besides who said the violin can only be played in classical music?
From Alex Yau
Posted on March 24, 2006 at 11:58 PM
It seems someone does not really get the points of what everyone else is saying...
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 01:46 AM
oh come on
From Jim W. Miller
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 02:09 AM
Mannn I was holding out.
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 02:29 AM
seriously...take VM's violin and wack both her and teri on the head...wack both of them til they get our message...
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 02:37 AM
one more time....many people here listen to and like violin used in different styles, including styles which use electric violin. DO YOU GET THAT?

Some people here even like Vanessa Mae. DO YOU GET THAT?

We all know that the big classical stars make a lot of money and that the big pop stars make even more. GOT IT?

We know Josh Bell and Nigel Kennedy have made forays into pop/rock areas (you don't seem to know about a certain string quartet, hugely popular, as you don't shove that info down our cyber-throats, but we know who they are). Anyway, GOT IT?

If there's a part of this you don't get, send me a personal email by clicking on my name and I'll try to explain it again. Hell, I'll call you on the phone, let's just quit going around in circles on the forum. Please.

thanks,
Mike

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 03:04 AM
ok thank you for clarifying that, i know of bond and i am glad that you agree with me that violinists can become pop stars.
From Milstein DeusEst
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 04:43 AM
Let's just talk about Yanni instead.
From Marty Dalton
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 04:58 AM
don't say anything bad about Yanni, he may punch you in the face...
From Emil Chudnovsky
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 05:09 AM
Good lord! How does a creature this thick have sufficient brains to breathe while walking? This troll needs (aside from having his/her mother TAKE AWAY THE BLASTED COMPUTER ACCESS) to learn to read.
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 10:41 AM
lol @ Mike
From azam fadley
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 11:13 AM
well overall it's not one of her best albums altough i do like her playing (she's the reason i pick up my first violin) too much pop, repetitive, pointless ornamentation and annoying background music (especially all the 'tribe' sounding music) and the havana slide could be more better if she don't repeat the same thing over and over again...
From Christian Vachon
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 12:44 PM
Emil: ROFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From John Lanceley
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 03:04 PM
Lmao
From Stephen Mayhew
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 07:54 PM
Hey Toni (or Lewis),
Have you gone to Meadowmount?
Stephen
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 11:08 PM
Stephen, what is that supposed to mean?

oOo...and this might be for another topic, but how is meadowmount? I was going to audition for it with my friend, but I decided that it wouldn't be that much fun...

My friend was accepted and she will be attending it in the summer...and she has told me about Galamian's mission and whatnot..but i'm still not sure..... (btw, did Kyung-wha Chung attend Meadowmount? I believe she did...)

From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 25, 2006 at 11:05 PM
lol...VM is NOT a great classical musician...when she was younger, sure she made some great CLASSICAL albums, but there are way more better "student" violinists at any of the conservatories today than VM...If she was such a great classical violinist, she would probably have never gone into pop. Fact is, she couldn't rival those of Midori, Hahn, Chang (the primary female violinists that were emerging)
From Stephen Mayhew
Posted on March 26, 2006 at 02:02 AM
Patrick,

I found this in the archives, posted by the real Toni Furman, "My son attended the Sphinx performance academy last year....My son returned more serious about classical music and practicing and will attend Meadowmount this summer."

I believe that the Toni Furman who has posted so often recently is actually Lewis Furman, the son of Ms. Toni Furman and the son spoken of in the above paragraph.

So I was just curious.

Stephen

From Terez Mertes
Posted on March 26, 2006 at 04:28 AM
Stephen, you are amazing. I'm still wowing (and dizzy) over ">|ooq 3po) ou u0!Lv3J) hw ||v s! L! uoh >|uvHL hHm." And now this new, provocative theory. Boy, I feel like I stepped in on the last scene of a movie, where the masks on the villains are pulled off and the hero/smart guy explains everything. I won't take a stand one way or another on the veracity of the theory, but boy, it sure is good entertainment for a Saturday night (proving how boring MY live has gotten).
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 27, 2006 at 04:06 AM
yes Stephen i attended Meawdowmount and Patrick just because a violinist goes pop dose'nt mean that they are not comparable to violinists that play the core classical repertory it just means that they want to reach new horrizons and gain a wider fan base and earn more Benjamins.
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 27, 2006 at 06:27 AM
yes, but...in the pop realm there's good and bad and in-between.
Musically I would never put Vanessa Mae on a level with Jean-luc Ponty or Mark O'Connor, to name just a couple of great non-classical violinists. She's playing crap with a disco beat...it's as empty as can be.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 04:00 AM
Lets wait until her new album comes out, by the way you should check out Daniel Bernard Roumain he is awsome.Also Jean-Luc Ponty is supposed to be comming out with a new album this year. Miri Ben Ari is also supposed to come out with a new hip hop instrmental album that is supposed to be relesed late this year or early next year.
From rachel white
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 04:43 AM
Go to bed now Toni or Lewis or whoever you are. Enough is enough.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 05:50 AM
why won't you guys listen to me, you act like i am a stoned teenage boy.
From Pieter Viljoen
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 06:39 AM
Well you certainly aren't an astute university professor.
From Patrick Hu
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Hmm...ARE you a just a stoned teenager?

Maybe you're just a teenager who likes looking at VM's album covers??....hmmm...

From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 09:31 AM
I think Toni is a 5 month infant who has learnt how to surf the net since his birth about 150 days ago.
From Mike Harris
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 03:44 PM
Toni,
actually, we do listen, it's that you're not convincing. It's not the content, it's not the style, it's both. And far from convincing the style is annoying to the max. Is there a charm school near you?
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 06:16 PM
Oh please why do you guys think a violinist cannot become a pop star, WHY.Does you instrument determine your sucess in the music industry? Hell no.
From Marty Dalton
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 06:20 PM
why can't a violinist become a pop star? My guess, Integrity.
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 06:24 PM
violinists have become pop stars look at Mae,Ponty,the guy in DMD and in Yellowcard.
From Maura Gerety
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 06:47 PM
"Toni" keeps asking "why don't you believe that a violinist can become a pop star". Well, a violinist COULD become a pop star if he/she really wanted.....but, thank God, none of them seem to want to. :)
From Toni Furman
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 06:54 PM
You guys would die if Perlman or JB decided to quit classical music and do pop.Besides violinists have decided to become pop stars here are some examples,Miri Ben Ari,Jean-Luc Ponty,Vanessa Mae and Nigel Kenedy.Oh and why are you glad a violinist would not choose to become a pop star.
From Maura Gerety
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 07:38 PM
Hey, Nigel Kennedy is no "Pop Star". Yes he's done some crossover things (I'm actually quite fond of his "East Meets East" with that Polish band) but he's still a classical player at heart. I love his Brahms.
From Preston Hawes
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 08:26 PM
Toni,

I'm surprised that it's not clear to you by now that most of the responses to your posts are of surprise and incredulousness because you have not understood the myriad of posts that ARE clear responses.

For the last time, I hope from any of us:

A classical violinist CAN become a "pop star" (as you define; Like Vanessa Mae). However, a classical violinist is going to find it VERY difficult to do this without compromising what he or she deems good authentic music and thereby compromising their artistic integrity. There are reason why it's difficult; firstly, as a classical musician one is most often completely consumed with the perfection of it. Secondly, if they have been accepted by the world as a master of classical music performance they are TOO BUSY and last but not least, most classical musicians are fulfilled by their study and performance of classical music and do not feel the need to branch out and become "a pop star". Some are not fulfilled by classical music and end up becoming doctors, or lawyers, or FedEx delivery people, and lucky for you others come to the conclusion that either classical music is dead or it's not going to make them money and they become your "pop star". Good for them, good for all of them. But your continued persistance and pestering is not going to win anyone to your argument.

I hope you understand this.

Preston

From Toni Furman
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 08:42 PM
i meant that Kennedy has pop star status he's sold more than 10 million albums.Besides who says you can't do both classical and pop.
From bill _
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 09:14 PM
From Preston Hawes
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 09:26 PM
Oh my. Please, someone make a post. One letter even...I don't care.
From bill _
Posted on March 28, 2006 at 09:36 PM
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.

Suzuki Violin School

"Where did the Suzuki CD go?"

Good news! All the Suzuki Violin School CDs are available now as digital downloads on Amazon.com. But why take the time to search for them all? We've collected links to each album for Suzuki Violin Books 1 - 8.

Get them now! Vol. 1 | Vol. 2 | Vol. 3
Vol. 4 | Vol. 5 | Vol. 6 | Vol. 7 | Vol. 8