Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Intermediate Violin Repertoire

Repertoire: I'm looking for suggestions for more intermediate pieces to play.

From Kristin Anderson
Posted April 11, 2005 at 06:14 PM

I'm looking for suggestions for more intermediate pieces to play: solo, concerto, violin/piano; doesn't matter. I'm particulary interested in more contemporary 20th or 21st C works, though any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm an adult violinist who used to be halfway decent, like 10 years ago, and I'm just looking for some interesting music I could conceivably play. Etudes and scales are seriously starting to get boring! :)

From Tom Holzman
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 06:59 PM
I would say Bach is the best place to start, either concerti or violin/piano sonatas. Also Handel sonatas. As for 20th/21st century, I am not familiar with any repertoire at your level. Others many have a different view.
From Benjamin Eby
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 07:00 PM
Bartok's Roumanian Folk Dances

Benjamin

From Maximillian Tresmond
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 09:43 PM
Some Bach, much Vivaldi and Handel.
From Mark L
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 10:20 PM
cmon people, surely there must be "intermediate" pieces that postdate 1750. Also, I have trouble believeing that the music of the entire 2oth century is ALL advanced.

my usual suggestions:

Mozart sonatas, concerti (esp 1 and 3)
Schubert a, D, g sonatas (let's retire the name 'sonatinas')
Haydn (did he write sonatas? I have no idea!)
Beethoven Romances, Spring
Mendelssohn, sonatas
Assorted Kreisler pieces

(But I dont play much 20th century stuff so I cant help much... sorry. I have very simple taste in music.)

From Emily Grossman
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 10:13 PM
The term "intermediate" is rather subjective. if you could tell us something you have completed lately, it may help you get more accurate advice.

To go in line with the other posts, you could try Mozart Sonatas, Beethoven Romances, Vivaldi concertos, the Four Seasons, beginning with Spring, Bach A minor concerto. I not familiar with contemporary intermediate solos other than the Bartok Rumanian folk dances.

Try here for a list of repertoire ordered by difficulty (order is subjective):

http://www.indiana.edu/~yvp/rep.htm

From Owen Sutter
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 11:04 PM
the bartok came to mind to me as well, really fun pieces.
From Kristin Anderson
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 11:20 PM
Hmmm... well, I haven't played much as of recently. I switched from violin to composition in college (hence the contemporary focus)due to serious tendonitis issues.

So, what I can remember of what I used to play: Bartok Concerto No. 1, 1st mvmt; Saint Saens Concerto No. 3, 1st mvmt; La Folia; some of the easier solo Bach. My teacher tried to get me to play a lot of Haydn and it bored me to tears (though I loved playing his string quartets).

Basically, I've noticed getting back into it is that although I have lost a lot of ability over the years, it's not like I'm completely starting over. It's definitely coming back quicker than I would have expected. And, the other great thing is that I don't have this whole conservatory repertoire competition sort of mindspace anymore... 'cuz I'm not competing against anyone. It's fantastically liberating!

So, like I said, mainly just looking for interesting repertoire that is somewhere between absolute beginner and supremely hard. I know, big range here, but again, it's unlikely I'm going to actually play any of this in concert or anything.

And, while I'm at it, anyone have any alternative sources for sheet music besides Shar? They have a lot, but especially looking at more contemporary literature, I'm not finding everything I'm potentially looking for.

Thanks everyone!

From Nick Bleisch
Posted on April 11, 2005 at 11:15 PM
Debussy, The girl with the flaxen hair
From Courtney Z
Posted on June 6, 2005 at 04:07 PM
I would say the pieces by Fritz Kreisler (liebesleid, liebesfreud, schon rosmarin, sicilenne and rigaudon, caprice viennois). They're not hard, but they have nice sweet melodies. Good for an intermediate player
From Scott 68
Posted on June 6, 2005 at 05:29 PM
always bach and something else, the c maj largo or d min sarabande

as for something else how about the slow movement of any great concerto like tchaikovsky also the slow movement of vivaldi's summer or winter comes to mind as favorites

also estrillita by ponce and liebslied by kerisler were 2 of my first pieces I really like

From Eugene Cho
Posted on June 7, 2005 at 06:08 AM
Kristin, for pieces to try at that level, look at Charles deBeriot's Violin Concerto No. 9, op. 104 and the similar Scene de Ballet, also Dvorak's Romance, op. 11. For 20th century music, try John Corigliano's Chaconne, which is made up of music from his original score to "The Red Violin" motion picture, or alternatively his Red Violin Caprices. There's a recording of Joshua Bell playing this Chaconne on the Red Violin sountrack recording if you want to preview it (listen to an excerpt on Amazon, for instance)

For a source of sheet music other than Shar, try San Francisco-based www.sheetmusicplus.com.

Best of luck and welcome back to playing :)

From Patty Rutins
Posted on June 22, 2005 at 01:32 PM
Hey, if you have the opportunity, don't leave out chamber music. Lots of folks have mentioned sonatas, but the Haydn String Quartets, and the London and Barytone Trios are really wonderful for an amateur ensemble. Also, the early Mozart Quartets are just lovely.

I also let my violin skills slide for a few years in favor of composition and voice. It was work to get them back again, but as you say -- it's not like starting over. It probably took me a couple of years to get back to where I was, technically, without taking lessons. But even though my technique had slid, my expression and interpretation had improved.

Certainly, you should compose some new intermediate violin repetoire!

From Catherine Johnson
Posted on June 24, 2005 at 08:31 PM
Check out the website violinmasterclass.com

There are lists of graded repertoire.

From Jonathan Frohnen
Posted on June 24, 2005 at 11:35 PM
that list is rather amusing actually. Not very thorough, use that list only for a veeeerrrrry broad idea of what is out there!
From Catherine Johnson
Posted on June 25, 2005 at 02:34 AM
It's basically correct in ordering pieces from easiest to hardest. But some of the pieces I think should be rearranged...
It listed Faure Sonata as level 6. I think that's pretty hard...more like a 7+.
From Mike Lambert
Posted on July 10, 2005 at 01:54 PM
I say the Lalo is more like a level 9 because it calls for a lot of different techniques and because I like it.
From Katie Bailey Waller
Posted on July 10, 2005 at 03:03 PM
Kristin,
What is your goal... over the next few years? If you want to bring up your skills to play chamber music... or community orchestra... that's wonderful and you have many good suggestions. If perhaps... you might like to try something different.... then get a copy of the Fiddler's Fakebook... or the Portland Collection of fiddle tunes.... and get started playing fiddle tunes! Find some folks to learn with... "jam" with.. and have some fun. Fiddle tunes are great for technique... lots of finger exercise... and interesting bowings for various styles. It's just a thought.
Have fun with your music! :)
Katie
From Dan Winter
Posted on July 11, 2005 at 03:09 AM
I think you may enjoy playing Allegro Brilliante by Ten Have. It's fun, not too terribly difficult, and sounds at least somewhat contemporary, I guess. I'm not sure what it's dated, but for an intermediate piece, that'd be fun.

What makes an elite violinist?

Sarah Chang Our interview with Sarah Chang is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Aaron Rosand

Interview: Aaron Rosand

To speak to violinist Aaron Rosand is to gain a sense of what it was like to come of age as a violinist in the mid 20th century.
Part One | Part Two