Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Tendonitis...

Health: In the right deltoid...

From Tommy Atkinson
Posted March 31, 2005 at 05:19 AM

So I have been diagnosed with tendonitis in my right deltoid... (that's the upper arm, for those of you who don't know). I was wondering whether anyone else had tendonitis and what you did to manage it. My doctor gave me some anti-inflammatory medication and told me to ice it... any suggestions? I'm a sophomore violin performance major, btw, so how do I manage it while still keeping up my practice?

From Nick Bleisch
Posted on March 31, 2005 at 05:57 AM
Acupuncture, Alexander Technique. massagetherapy.

Also there's a great book written by a cellist who had tendonitis problems, called Playing (Less) Hurt I really recommend.

From Christian Vachon
Posted on March 31, 2005 at 12:02 PM
Hi,

Tommy, the first and important advice is DON'T PRACTICE THROUGH AN INJURY! I really mean this, it you do, it will only get worst. Violin is a sport in essence, and athletes know better than to keep training through an injury. As hard as this may be to hear, and I know that this situation bites, heal first, then start playing again. In the meantime, think of what you may have been doing wrong that could have caused the injury in the first place so that you don't get injured again once you start playing again.

GOOK LUCK and Cheers!

From tristan torriani
Posted on March 31, 2005 at 12:51 PM
I had tendonitis in the hands and sought an occupational therapist specialized in hands. She had several available techniques and it really solved my problem. In your case you might want to talk to a physiotherapist too.
From Tommy Atkinson
Posted on March 31, 2005 at 05:36 PM
Thanks for the help, guys! I'm going to try and take it easy for a while until I'm at top form again... and I'm definitely going to look into getting some specialized advice as opposed to just my general doctor.
From 'Erie Weber
Posted on April 1, 2005 at 08:07 AM
My first big case of tendonitis in the shoulder I worked with a physical therapist for 8 weeks. Besides gentle strengthening of the muscle so as to be less prone to re-injuring it, I also had iontophoresis (anti-inflammatory pushed through the skin with electric current), ultrasound (relaxes muscles, promotes healing), and massage, all of which helped a bit. Add them all together and it was a significantly helpful.

'Erie :-)

From G. Faulkner
Posted on April 2, 2005 at 02:55 AM
I am just getting over tendinitis in my wrist/forarm area, so I know how frustrating it can be. Yes, I agree that it is important to rest, however, my physical therapist actually told me not to stop completely. If you completely abstain from using the muscles you use when you play violin, they start to deteriorate within two weeks. Needless to say, that isn't good. After all, you've spent years working on building muscles and endurance to play violin, and it's not good for them to totally go to waste.

Yet, on the other end of the scale, you definitely shouldn't be playing the same amount you did before tendinitis. I am only able to play about half an hour, (with 2-3 minute breaks every 8 or so minutes) when I used to play 2 or so hours daily. This keeps my muscles from breaking down, without straining them. At the first twinge of pain, stop and ice, though.

My PT also stresses the need to exercise "opposite" muscle groups. For example, if you already have strong biceps, then work on the tricep area. When you strengthen oppostite muscle groups, they can help take over some of the stress that the already develped muscles endure. This takes the strain off some muscles.

Heat can be very helpful when your arm isn't inflamed. Ice is best when there's swelling and pain, though. I've heard good things about hydrotherapy, deep tissue massage, and acupuncture, as well. I personally have had the best luck with ultrasound therapy. It really works wonders.

Over all, I'd recommend you find an excellent physical therapist that specializes in arm/hand injuries. I think I'd still be in pain and out of commission without my physical therapist.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on April 2, 2005 at 10:54 PM
Greetings,
can anyone tell me why damage to a muscle group is being referred to as tendonitis when there are no tendons involved?
Serious question.
Cheers,
Buri
From Tom Holzman
Posted on April 3, 2005 at 04:11 PM
Buri,

It is my understanding that all muscles are attached to the skeleton by tendons. Thus, there is always a tendon involved where a muscle is involved. Tendonitis generally occurs because a tendon is strained by activity that is too strenuous for a relatively weak muscle. Much of the treatment of tendonitis is aimed at strengthening the muscles to avoid putting undue strain on the tendons. My understanding could be wrong, and I invite anyone with more specialized knowledge to let me know.

From Stephen Brivati
Posted on April 3, 2005 at 11:09 PM
greetings,
Thanks Tom. I was curious because tenditis seems more often to be referred to in terms of an area (elbow, wrist etc). I get nervous about this stuff because so much treatment of injury is shotting in the dark. I wa s wondering if the difference had actually been spelled out,
Cheers,
Buri

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle