Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Carlo Bergonzi violin

Instruments: Is it possible that this instrument is really that old?? How do I find out more about this instrument?

From Cheryl Leon
Posted August 10, 2004 at 05:29 AM

I am an ameteur and don't really know much about older instruments. I recently purchased an old violin from an ad in our local newspaper. The label inside reads "Carlo Bergonzi anno 1733". Is it possible that this instrument is really that old?? How do I find out more about this instrument? It is not in the greatest condition. Does anyone know how I would go about restoring it? How do I find a reputable repair shop in upstate New York state? And one last question, does anyone have any idea what it might be worth? Is it worth putting money into to restore it? I would appreciate any help, thanks!

From Juergen L. Hemm
Posted on August 10, 2004 at 08:15 AM
Hi,
Cheryl, it is possible that your violin is that old and has really been made by Bergonzi - however, it is not very likely.
Without the proper experience (which I don't have) it is impossible to say anything. Even with the proper experience, it is impossible to say anything without being able to physically examine the instrument.
Try finding a luthier in your area via the American Federation of Violon and Bow Makers.
Bye, Juergen
From Marty Dalton
Posted on August 10, 2004 at 05:33 PM
I played on a Bergonzi...it was selling for 900,000!! Needless to say, I didn't buy it!
From Brian Bak
Posted on August 11, 2004 at 02:01 AM
Carlo Bergonzi's are great violins. They are played by many great violinists. Perlman used to play on one. I highly doubt that it would just be sold off like that. It's probably a copy, but it's possible to be the original.

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

The Violinist.com Interviews, Vol. 1

Hear more from the world's top violinists in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which includes our exclusive conversations with Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, and David Garrett, and others, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

The 2014 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

We've compiled a list of some of the year's best new offerings from violinists for you to consider.