Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Violinist Bin Huang

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: I was rather impressed with her sound. Does anyone have any other information about her?

From N.A. Mohr
Posted July 28, 2004 at 04:49 AM

I just purchased a CD of Baroque violin music featuring violinist Bin Huang. I'm not able to find much information about her other than she tied with Maxim Vengerov for first place in a Paganini competition.

I was rather impressed with her sound. Does anyone have any other information about her?

From N.A. Mohr
Posted on July 28, 2004 at 01:08 PM
...sorry I made an error...I believe she tied in a Wieniawski competition and won the Paganini...
From N.A. Mohr
Posted on August 9, 2004 at 03:40 PM
Just resurrecting this...I'm still interested if anyone has heard her, or of her...

:)

From Jo Marin
Posted on August 9, 2004 at 04:58 PM
Check out this link. http://www.violin.org/ivci/laureate_list2.html#huang
From Christine Choi
Posted on August 9, 2004 at 06:44 PM
hi. i have heard her live in concert a few concerts ago, and was amazed with her technique. it's amazing. my former teacher also knows her pretty well, and has said that she workds very hard and her parents also worked hard too. i've also heard that she would like to be very famous, but doesn't have any real good connections.
From Christine Choi
Posted on August 9, 2004 at 06:44 PM
hi. i have heard her live in concert a several years ago, and was amazed with her technique. it's amazing. my former teacher also knows her pretty well, and has said that she workds very hard and her parents also worked hard too. i've also heard that she would like to be very famous, but doesn't have any real good connections.
From N.A. Mohr
Posted on August 10, 2004 at 03:05 PM
Thanks...that's what I wondering about...

...I then have another question...if Bin Huang would like to go 'pro' and has the talent...

...why wouldn't it happen?...

From Emil Chudnovsky
Posted on August 10, 2004 at 09:41 PM
1) Bin IS a pro. She makes her living playing the violin, and is surely among the 100 most accomplished players in the world today.
2) Talent means "aptitude". Players at this level have more than "talent", they have skill and even, hopefully, command of the instrument. They may even have artistry, though that's never a given.
3) Careers are not made because someone has either the talent (or aptitude, rather), nor even because someone has skill or professional-level command of the instrument. Careers are made for a variety of reasons, many having little or nothing to do with the actual playing of the person in question. If one ever doubts that bad playing or lack of aptitude are not an obstacle to a huge money-making career in the crossover field, at least, one need only look at people like Vanessa Mae or Andre Rieu to see that not being an actual classical violinist does not preclude your becoming Fiddler to the Masses.

The answer to "how does one make a career as a violinist" fills many books, though, so I won't presume to even begin answering that one.

From N.A. Mohr
Posted on August 10, 2004 at 09:51 PM
Maybe we just don't hear about the top 100? Maybe we only hear about the top 20?
From Emil Chudnovsky
Posted on August 10, 2004 at 09:51 PM
We really only hear about the top 5 or so in this country, and a different set of 5 to 10 in Europe. But the command of the instrument that I think of as professional-level is probably enjoyed by thousands. Many of them, of course, are orchestra players.

Still, it's pretty impressive to think that the kind of skill level this profession demands in order to make one a professional is one that mere thousands, out of 6 BILLION, have attained. A pretty elite bunch...

From Francis Browne
Posted on August 12, 2004 at 05:19 PM
Hhhhmm. Very interesting discussion. Being in the US, I'd definately agree that we largely hear only about a few rising stars...Hillary Hahn and Ilya Gringolts (sic?) come to mind, and a few others. Surely there are lots of others at 99.999% the skill level of those two, and probably even some with the same excellent level of musical personality, who don't make it into a first-class soloist career due to other reasons (lack of marketing? etc?).

*begin non politically correct flamebait*
Not sure I agree entirely with the implication that Vanessa Mae is not (or could not be) a classical violinist. Certainly much of her crossover music doesn't sound like it would require a classical skill level to play (at least beyond intermediate amateur for those nice arpegios), but not all of it. I don't know the details of her history, but I have a classical recording from when she was 12 of her playing the Tchaik with orchestra, and it is quite competent. She might not be in top 5-10, but I'm not sure she wouldn't be in the top 100-500 if she had stayed in the classical field.

And some of her crossover work contains what sounds to my ear like decent renderings of parts of Pagannini Caprices and the Tartini (which works surprisingly well with a beat, actually IMHO). In my book, anyone who can play the Tchaik classifies as a classical violinist, even if the performance isn't soloist caliber (and I think this one was competent myself, and I've heard about two dozen versions).
*/end non politically-correct flamebait*

:-)

Francis

From Francis Browne
Posted on August 12, 2004 at 04:57 PM
Oops ... the last message was supposed to contain the last two paragraphs about Vanessa Mae in "begin/end non politically-correct flamebait" tags, but I used actual less-than and greater-than signs, and it looks like it ate them because of this. :-(

Oh, well.
Francis

From Emil Chudnovsky
Posted on August 12, 2004 at 07:01 PM
Francis, what you wrote about VM is hardly a flameball; it didn't even invite flame responses. However, it's simply too bighearted of you to classify VM as even potentially a classical violinist. The girl lacks skills so fundamental that, were she in a competition, people would talk about why someone so incompetent should have dared enter. Needless to say, she'd be eliminated in the first possible round - whether eliminatory or actual first round.

And of course it's not necessary to do well in a competition to be a classical violinist. But a few things are indeed essential: intonation, rhythm, sound. She has none of the above in any proportion higher than that necessary to ENTER a non-professional music school. Not to mention her vibrato, which is, to all intents and purposes, nonexistent.

From Francis Browne
Posted on August 12, 2004 at 08:05 PM
Hmm. I'll have to re-listen to my classical album set of hers. I certainly see how those qualities aren't always obvious in her pop (some of which I also find the music writing a bit banal). My point was really to quibble with the idea of calling anyone technically capable of playing the Tchaikovsky at all anything other than a violinist. (And it's not completely automaton-like IMHO.) My sense of her Tchaik recording, as I recall, was that had I got it as a bargain bin CD with a violinist I had never heard of before, I would not have been particularly disappointed. Of course, it can't touch Stern, Oistrakh, or even IMHO Gringolts (who has my current favorite recent version).

So maybe she's top 10,000 or 50,000 rather than 1,000. Dunno. Of course, a lot of people can play the Tchaik. (I can even play some fair portions of it myself, though nowhere near performance or recording level. )

From Johnna Wu
Posted on September 12, 2004 at 01:19 AM
I heard Bin Huang at the 1998 International Violin Competition of Indianapolis, Indiana. She played the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto on the finals and won 6th place out of the 6 finalists. Judith Ingolfsson (who I believe is a member of this website) recieved 1rst place. I admire Bin because she is one of the few chinese violinists that have come to international prominence.
From Johnna Wu
Posted on September 12, 2004 at 01:27 AM
Heres more information about Bin Huang.
Teachers:
Berl Senofsky, 1989-present
Zhi-Long Wang, 1980-1988
Shu-Ming Guo, 1975-1980
Competitions and Awards:
1998-Concert Artist Guild, finalist
1997-Dong-A Music Competition
3rd prize
1994-Paganini Violin Competition
1rst Prize
From N.A. Mohr
Posted on September 12, 2004 at 03:10 AM
Thanks! Her album has become one of my favourites...:)
From P W
Posted on September 12, 2004 at 06:51 PM
She has excellent techniques, but seems lacking certain finesse to put her in the upper echelon.
From Darel Stark
Posted on April 23, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I went to school Huang Bin at Peabody. We both studied with the late great Berl Senofsky. We played chamber music together and compared Ernst's Last Rose of Summer. She is an exceptional violinist and was always very impressive during the four years we new each other.

From Christian Vachon
Posted on April 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Hi,

I remember her from Peabody; stellar violinist.  Though she spells her name differently, I believe this is her:

http://www.laphil.com/philpedia/artist-detail.cfm?id=68

Cheers!

From Joyce Lin
Posted on April 23, 2010 at 01:54 PM

Christian, they are not the same person.

What makes an elite violinist?

Sarah Chang Our interview with Sarah Chang is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Joshua Bell, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Lady Victory

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Violinist.com editor Laurie Niles is in Indianapolis for our daily coverage of the ninth quadrennial international violin competition.