Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Violin Polish

Instruments: Does anyone know any good violin polish?

From Rowell Jao
Posted June 28, 2004 at 08:54 PM

Does anyone know any good violin polish? I've heard that violin polish that you buy and do it yourself is bad for your violin because it builds up on the violin or something.

From Sue Donim
Posted on June 28, 2004 at 09:00 PM
I use Hill's varnish cleaner.
From Rowell Jao
Posted on June 29, 2004 at 02:09 AM
I've used Lewis'Fiddlebrite on my student instrument before. So I'm not sure if I should use it on my old old better instrument.
I stopped using violin polish after I heard from old teachers that they're bad for your violin because they leave buildup and it's better to bring it to a professional violin shop and have them clean the violin for you.
From Peter Ferreira
Posted on June 29, 2004 at 04:20 AM
The Hill is pretty good, but I prefer and recomend that you take it to a good luthier and get it done.

Peter

From Thomas McEvilley
Posted on June 29, 2004 at 08:28 AM
Hill is okay as it contains no wax or fillers that build up and bind to the varnish. It can strip some varnishes though, if used to enthusiastically
From Peter Ferreira
Posted on June 29, 2004 at 03:23 PM
Ouch, I hate that phrase: " It can strip some varnishes..."

Regards,

Peter

From Maximillian Tresmond
Posted on June 29, 2004 at 05:06 PM
Good afternoon.
I heard from some of the folks over at Maestronet (was it Michael Darnton who first said it?), they seemed to reach a consensus that polish is dangerous to the varnish.

I don't know, I am not a luthier.

-Maximillian Tresmond

From Michael Avagliano
Posted on June 29, 2004 at 07:25 PM
I heard that Crest toothpaste, Vaseline, and prune juice mixed together works pretty well.

Seriously, though, the best polish is none. Keeping the instrument clean by wiping it off after you play is the best maintenance you can give it. Anything beyond that, let a luthier do the work. I've seen too many 18th century instruments with varnish that looks like it's plastic because of the overpolish.

From Ben Clapton
Posted on June 30, 2004 at 05:46 AM
i have a martin and co instrument polish that I use. It's primarily a guitar polish but works on any wooden instrument. I don't polish it all that often though, probably only once a year, maybe twice. The 250ml bottle i've got has lasted me about 5 or 6 years and is about half full atm.

I'd usually only polish it before a big concert, like a competition or solo performance. I find it make the violin look much better and sound a fair bit better as well. But I wouldn't do it every week.

This polish is good because it's in a spray bottle, which means you don't apply all that much.

From det ted
Posted on July 1, 2004 at 12:58 PM
Purely subjective. I like Hill.

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Galamian's Principles Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle