Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Donald Weilerstein

Schools, Teachers and Camps: I was wondering if anybody knows his teaching style?

From Christine Choi
Posted April 15, 2004 at 09:14 PM

I was wondering if anybody knows his teaching style?

From owen sutter
Posted on April 15, 2004 at 09:52 PM
he trained my teacher when he was in the ameliora quartet, and from what i've heard he is very discplined, but a very wonderful man. Ian (my teacher) speaks extremely high of him. Also his recordings with the cleveland quartet are some of the greatest of all time
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on April 15, 2004 at 11:59 PM
Greetings,
I recall two onterviews that mention him. One was by a quartet he coached. they said he was very kind but very strict about rythm an dintonation. (Sounds good to me)
In the interview that wa sabout him veyr little usefulwas said (Strings , I think it was) except that he treated every student indivdually and had a huge store of imagintive and creative verbal images to make students thiknk about the style of the music they were playing.
How can you go wrong with this guy?
Cheers,
Buri
From Brian Bak
Posted on April 16, 2004 at 02:17 AM
He must also be a wonderful violinist because he was in the same Leventritt competition Kyung Wha Chung and Pinchas Zukerman won. He made the finals, along with Sergiu Luca.
From Andrew Sords
Posted on April 16, 2004 at 04:06 AM
He also won a prize in Queen Elisabeth, as well as winning the Young Concert Artists...
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on April 16, 2004 at 06:36 AM
Greetings,
I juts punched his name in at Amazon.com and hte result was very interesting. he has recorded the complete works of Bloch, the Schumann Sonatas, and on another disc the Enesco and Dohnyani sonatas. That suggets a pretty enterprising and thoughtful musician,
Cheers,
Buri
From Ryan Meehan
Posted on April 16, 2004 at 11:43 AM
My teacher studied with him at CIM. He's incredible! He has a big focus on rythym and intonation. He's a great teacher judging by the students he produces.
From owen sutter
Posted on April 16, 2004 at 06:47 PM
one of my teachers is also his brother in law.. small world
From Carla Leurs
Posted on April 17, 2004 at 10:04 AM
I have studied with him for 2 years now. I can tell you he is absolutely amazing. I love playing for him. After the lessons your brain is absolutely exhausted by the flow of information, but you walk out with so much energy and love for music. He is the best!
From owen sutter
Posted on April 17, 2004 at 07:57 PM
whoa, you studied with perlman and weilerstein? im jealous
From David Rife
Posted on August 12, 2004 at 07:49 PM
I studied with Mr. Weilerstein for 4 years while I was a student at the Eastman School of Music. Even though that was quite a few years ago, I remember so many of the things I learned while studing with him and I use them in my own practicing and teaching. He is without a doubt one of the most recognized teachers in the world. Each lesson is an adventure into the depths of violin playing and I and so lucky to have had the opportunity to study with him. I have a student that will be playing for him in the near future.
From Scott Taylor
Posted on August 26, 2004 at 04:05 AM
I recommend Donald Weilerstein to many people. He is a great collegue and a very personable person. I reccomend alot of my students to continue studies with him.
From Michael Miller
Posted on December 11, 2006 at 04:45 AM
I just sat in on a master class he taught with student of Joanna Kurkowicz at Williams College, folowing a spectacular concert with the other two Weilsteins. He was both extremely penetrating and extremely kind to the students. I'm a critic, not a violinist, and I learned a lot myself. Click here for more:

http://www.berkshirefinearts.com/show_article.php?article_id=172&category=Music

From Yuri Kye
Posted on March 25, 2010 at 10:12 AM

he's incredible. very intelligent guy (obviously). teaches you all about... everything. highly recommended, of course, but good luck getting into his studio.

From Oliver Steiner
Posted on March 26, 2010 at 07:59 PM

I know him since 1960.  

First as a fellow student at Juilliard, he studied with Mr. Galamian (I think he may also have had some instruction from Miss DeLay) and I studied with Miss DeLay and had periodic lessons with Mr. Galamian.  I learned from Donald Weilerstein from these earliest days by speaking with him and by hearing him perform.  He exemplified the utmost in complete absorption in the music. You felt this when he performed, when you spoke with him, and even when he was walking down the street, you had the feeling that he was rehearsing some phrase in his head; only his feet were walking down the street!  He played beautifully in class performances, never superficial - always probing for depth of expression, always coaxing a remarkably sweet tone from the highest E string notes.  He gave helpful advice when I asked him to critique some of my performances.

I later had lots of time with him during the years that we were both on the Eastman School violin faculty.  I loved to hear his performances with the Cleveland Quartet and I collected the Quartet's recordings.  It was unquestionably clear that he was as serious and dedicated to helping his students as he was about his own playing.

Anyone who has the opportunity to study with him is indeed fortunate.

Galamian's Principles

Galamian's Principles of the Violin

Long one of the standards for violin teachers and students, Ivan Galamian's Principles of Violin Playing and Teaching offers both principles and practice exercises to help develop violinists of all ages and abilities. This new edition includes a foreword by Sally Thomas.

Get it now! In Paperback | For Kindle