Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Ivry Gitlis

Violinists: Recordings and Performances: Puzzling picture.

From Marco Rodriguez
Posted February 17, 2004 at 06:05 AM

Hey all. Ivry Gitlis is a great violinist (obviously). He had many words of wisdom in the documentary "The Art of the Violin"; and overall seemed a happy, articulate, and expressive charecter. But I went to a website that had his bio and a picture of him. And I just think the picture is ridiculous. I mean it looks like his driver's license photo or somthin. "http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php@URL_ID=8301&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html"

Basically, there is no big point to this post. Just thought you'd all get a bit of a laugh out of seeing Ivry (who to me seems typically very jovial) looking so solemn n glum.

Marco

From Carl Fulbrook
Posted on February 17, 2004 at 08:20 AM
Looks like he should be holding up his prisoner number! Maybe the website should include the profile shot as well, with the subtitle "WANTED."

Carl.

From Adam Smith
Posted on February 17, 2004 at 08:55 AM
Looks like he had the worst hangover.......
From Petr Fiala
Posted on February 17, 2004 at 09:49 AM
Carl you right. I saw this photo last year and had the same meaning like you -- he looks like a prisoner. But did you saw Gitlis in his very young age? He looks like a girl.

Petr

From Jonathan Parle
Posted on February 18, 2004 at 04:57 AM
Oh dear. It even looks like he wearing a prison uniform.
From Stephen Brivati
Posted on February 18, 2004 at 06:09 AM
Greetings,
I am sorry to report that the remainder of this picture was omitted. the great man was in the throes of his daily ablutions and further there should have been a think balloon reading `Why, oh why, did I forsake my prunes?`
Cheers,
Buri
From Jonathan Parle
Posted on February 18, 2004 at 08:12 PM
Actually if The Art of the Violin is anything to go by, Mr. Gitlis is a very heathly eater. There was enough fruit on his table to start a fruit shop. No prunes that I could see though...

If I could look that good and be as mentally sharp and animated at his age, I reckon I'd be doing extremely well for myself.

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback