My dog ate my rosin! What do I do??

October 17, 2016 at 10:33 PM · My dog ate my rosin! Is this something I need to be concerned about? Does anyone out there have any experience with this? Does it matter if it's dark or light rosin? SOS

Replies (60)

October 17, 2016 at 10:35 PM · Go to / call the emergency veterinary clinic and ask them. Dogs can digest all kind of junk, but some items, like chocolate, are poisonous.

Rosin is based on natural resin, but I would not take any chances with my dog.

October 17, 2016 at 11:24 PM · I second the suggestion about going to the vet but I will say that my dog has eaten small amounts of rosin and didn't suffer anything more than digestive upset. However, I did take her to the vet when it happened to rule out anything serious. Better to be safe than sorry.

October 18, 2016 at 01:58 AM · It can get stuck and create a blockage (bad)... take the dog to the vet.

October 18, 2016 at 07:42 AM · If the dog's sound improves when it barks then it's OK.

Seriously though, I would get him/her to a vet within an hour.

It's also always best to keep violins/bows/rosins etc away from dogs. (Having said that my Lurcher sleeps in the same room as my fiddle, and she groans sometimes when I'm playing it, and I have to ask her if it's really that bad).

October 18, 2016 at 08:00 AM · I always took my dog(s) to the vet if they'd ingested something iffy - e.g. oil on our local beach. I couldn't live with the worry otherwise. I hope your dog is okay by now. Best wishes.

I remember when I first bought my fiddle after returning to the violin in retirement. I was tuning it from the piano and while locating a note held the violin with its neck pointing downwards.

Luckily I saw a flash of beige and was able to whip my fiddle out of the way before my border terrier gave it a good seeing to, a la chewed stick.

He used to like singing along if a tune went high on to the E string. It looked as if he felt compelled to join in, from some inner urge - expressing hatred or delight, I know not.

October 18, 2016 at 08:25 AM · Buy a new rosin :-)

Cheers Carlo

October 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM · My dog ate my Paganini. Now he's showing off all kinds of new tricks!

(I assume the OP was kidding. If not, who would consult us first and not rush their dog to a vet?)

October 18, 2016 at 01:41 PM · My dog ate my Bach and now she's running around in a confused manner - I think it has effected her HIP ...

October 18, 2016 at 02:29 PM · Fire the dog-walker and enjoy the clean carpets.

October 18, 2016 at 03:16 PM · Guys, I appreciate your sense of humor, but this is not funny. The dog is in danger and you are making fun of it. Would you do the same if this were a toddler?

October 18, 2016 at 03:21 PM · My toddler ate Kreutzer. He was just accepted into Julliard at age 3. jk

October 18, 2016 at 03:36 PM · About the only way, in my experience, to ensure that the dog you're walking does not pick up and eat any old rubbish (as dogs will) is to muzzle it. That won't work of course if the unmuzzled dog is in the house and eats a cake of rosin left lying around.

October 18, 2016 at 04:28 PM · @ Rocky - yes, if I had a toddler who ate rosin, the first thing I would do is go on v.com and solicit opinions - NOT!!!! I'd rush the kid to a doctor or ER. That was my point. Either the OP was kidding or used very poor judgement and timing. If this is on the level, of course I hope the dog will be OK.

October 18, 2016 at 04:41 PM · My dog does not eat rubbish including rosin. She refuses treats from strangers. She is extremely clean and does not moult onto the carpet. She is very quiet except for an occasional groan.

I'm presuming the dog is OK by now and as long as it is not making gritty, scratchy sounds, all should be well.

I knew a conductor who swallowed rosin and his sticky technique was appalling, and eventually he lost his grip.

October 18, 2016 at 06:59 PM · My cat is spoiled and only eats high-end rosin! It's costing me a lot to maintain her in the lifestyle to which she's become accustomed.

October 18, 2016 at 07:11 PM · How is the dog doing: his health. I would like a update please.

October 18, 2016 at 08:24 PM · Yes, please tell us the dog is okay so we can proceed with many, many more jokes.

October 19, 2016 at 12:41 AM · Help, my dog ingested Schumann and picked up syphilis!

October 19, 2016 at 03:01 AM · Annie, how is the pooch doing?

October 19, 2016 at 08:30 AM · May need a new set of strings and a bow re-hair to get the best out of the rosin ...

October 19, 2016 at 03:40 PM · My dog ingested Bach and picked up religion!

October 19, 2016 at 04:03 PM · My DOG thought she was God until I had to tell her otherwise...

October 19, 2016 at 07:19 PM · Silly dog - probably got the spelling backwards. Besides, everybody knows that cats are the dominant species on the planet. Just ask them!

Now back - more or less - on topic: I'd be willing to bet one of my spare rosins that Annie (the OP) was pulling everyone's leg. Moreover, if I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat. (Given that my hat is made out of a taco shell, I'm not too worried if worse comes to worst.)

October 19, 2016 at 08:25 PM · Well, eating your rosin would be a more noble act... Bakers is well baked, I guess?!

October 19, 2016 at 09:31 PM · Since I moved to Colorado the phrase well-baked has taken on a whole new meaning (to be clear, not for me personally)...

October 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM · What do I know? I am just a dummy Canadian...

October 19, 2016 at 11:27 PM · As an experiment I presented my rosin to my dog. She took a couple of sniffs then went right back to what she had been doing, napping. Not even a lick. (That's the thanks I get.) Of course my dog has very refined tastes, and it was merely "Andrea Orchestra" after all. Perhaps if I had one of those "carriage trade" subscription rosins........? Anyway, I also believe Annie made up her story.

Rosin is tree sap. Hey, maple syrup is tree sap too. Why believe that rosin would be toxic, even if a dog did eat it?

October 20, 2016 at 12:04 AM · After my sister ate some bullets, her hair grew out in bangs.

Oh, this thread is about dogs, not sisters.

What did the dog say when he sat on sandpaper?

October 20, 2016 at 12:36 AM · Well, Annie joined the forum 4 days ago, last visited yesterday and hasn't given any feedback... draw your own conclusion.

October 20, 2016 at 12:37 AM · My dog ate my rosini, since when he's been known as the Barker of Seville.

My previous dog had eaten my Henze and his stomach got torn up by the bones.

My previous one ate my Wagner, and she's been Wagner tail ever since.

My previous one drank my Gluck, gluck gluck gluck gluck ...

My first one was going to eat my Wolf, but the wolf had other ideas ...

But it was the cat that ate my Milhaud!

And my neighbour's dog was a WOW - until he ate my bow, that is (when he became a bow wow).

October 20, 2016 at 08:28 AM · What did the dog say when he sat on sandpaper?

That's better than luxury 4 ply toilet tissue!!

October 20, 2016 at 09:06 AM · "Rough rough".

October 20, 2016 at 11:28 AM · "Rosin is tree sap. Hey, maple syrup is tree sap too. Why believe that rosin would be toxic, even if a dog did eat it?"

I believe that violin rosin is made from the sap of a pine tree and that might make a difference. Also, we don't know what other possibly toxic ingredients may go into the final product.

When I was a kid I got a box turtle who scratched around in her enclosure at first - so I named her "Rosin". I have no idea what she named me!

October 20, 2016 at 11:40 AM · Dyslexic agnostic insomniacs stay up at night wondering if there really is a dog.

October 20, 2016 at 01:25 PM · My conclusion is that Annie is a troll, and she should eat her rosin to see if she has any ill effects. Actually I am relieved to conclude she is a troll, because now I don't have to fret that someone is stupid enough to post what she did.

October 20, 2016 at 03:47 PM · Except for a few savy vcommers here we have been had Erin.

October 20, 2016 at 04:05 PM · @John, those are some good ones=)

October 20, 2016 at 09:49 PM · If a dog eats rosin does he get a better tone when he drags his butt along the floor?

As for the effects of ingesting pine resin, I have a pretty good idea what happens to me when I drink Retsina...

October 21, 2016 at 03:06 AM · Pretty harmless trolling, as far as trolling goes!

October 21, 2016 at 07:45 AM · As much as I love dogs, this is all getting a bit tedious!

October 21, 2016 at 09:41 AM · She's not a troll. She's got a complete profile on LinkedIn and videos on YT. Annie, please let us know how your pooch made out. Also, never, ever leave your violin unattended within a dog's reach.

October 21, 2016 at 01:01 PM · Sure it's the same Annie? I find six different people when I Google my name...

October 21, 2016 at 02:53 PM · We once had a dog we named "Rosin." It doesn't seem logical, but every time I hear the term, I remember him fondly. Of course, we never gave him the opportunity to actually eat rosin, but he readily ate everything else.

October 21, 2016 at 09:41 PM · Thank you Jason. Here's one more (I can hear the others saying "Don't encourage him, Jason"):

My dog ate my Pugnani, which now has no nani.

I am frustrated about the joke that never was: "If Annie's a troll, her name must be short for Anitra". However, Anitra is the daughter of a Bedouin chief and her dance occurs far later in the play than that of the Troll Princess, which follows "In the Hall of the Mountain King". BooHoo.

October 22, 2016 at 04:06 AM · Is your dog a "pug"? ;-)

October 22, 2016 at 08:08 AM · We once had a dog we named "Rosin."

This reminds me of a player in an orchestra I was in where the conductor saw him putting loads of rosin on his bow and swishing it so rosin dust flew everywhere. (It may have been a new re-hair - who knows) So he got called Rosin as his first name. That name STUCK ...

October 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM · My dog ate my Lalo. It's now a symptom-y spaniel.

The truth is, Raphael, the last thing I want is a pet of any description - even a goldfish you have to remember to feed and clean out the fish tank. My father had a dachshund which used to provide accompaniment when he practised, and survived nearly two years into my parents' marriage (which he disapproved out of jealousy).

October 30, 2016 at 04:09 AM · In the future, I'd call the vet!

October 30, 2016 at 03:41 PM · After some of the comments on this thread, I'm not surprised she hasn't come back to update us...

I wouldn't either...

October 30, 2016 at 06:28 PM ·

October 30, 2016 at 06:29 PM ·

October 30, 2016 at 06:29 PM · My dog ate my previous two postings! ;-D

October 30, 2016 at 06:35 PM · ...he'll be fine. :D

My parrot ate a paperback once...well, chewed it up...didn't eat it. I didn't feel a need to consult anyone on that... ;)

October 31, 2016 at 04:43 AM · Did your parrot then recite the book? I'm reminded of the movie, "Fahrenheit 451"!

October 31, 2016 at 08:59 AM · Was that film about Robert Burns ... (Sorry!) (wink) It was a great French film. (Truffaut?)

October 31, 2016 at 08:17 PM · ODE TO A DOG WHO ATE MY ROSIN

(based on "Ode to a Louse" by Robert Burns)

Ha! whaur ye gaun, ye crowlin ferlie?

Your impudence protects you sairly;

I canna say but ye strunt rarely,

Owre gauze and lace;

Tho', faith! I fear ye dine but sparely

On so sticky a cake.

Ye ugly, creepin, blastit wonner,

Detested, shunn'd by saunt an' sinner,

How daur ye set your fit upon iy-

Sae fine a rosin?

Gae somewhere else and seek your dinner

On some poor body.

October 31, 2016 at 08:30 PM · Well done, Raphael!

October 31, 2016 at 08:37 PM · Our very own Poet Laureate!

November 1, 2016 at 12:45 AM · .

There once was a human's best friend,

To the veterinarian it's owner did send.

Upon getting it's jaws in,

Pooch ingested the rosin,

But hopefully it came out OK in the end.

November 1, 2016 at 02:20 AM · Thanks folks! And bravo to Dave. My contribution was already more than 90% Burns. But I did know where to look and what to change!

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins