Recommended Violin Teachers in the Denver Metro area

October 17, 2016 at 10:33 PM · A question for the professionals or serious amateurs out there: would you please recommend any good violin teachers you know of in the Denver, Colorado metro area? I moved to Denver recently and I need to find a violin teacher. I'm hoping your suggestions will help me find someone soon.

As to my skill level to aid you in providing recommendations, as I'm sure you'll ask if I don't tell you, I think advanced intermediate is probably right (although I haven't tackled any new repertoire other than etudes recently so I could have crossed over into early advanced; another way to put this, I'm probably either a 5 or a 6 on Kurt Sassmannshaus' scale). I practice more now than when I was younger, though, so I would like to find a serious teacher who would challenge me to put my 2-3 hours of daily practice to the best use possible so I can improve my skills further.

Thanks!

Replies (4)

October 24, 2016 at 03:48 PM · Bump: worth one more try. I seem to remember some of the pros here do summer festivals in Colorado. Have you met anyone that teaches here?

October 24, 2016 at 04:08 PM · Suggest that you look at who's been winning the youth competitions locally, and then finding out who their teachers are (the teachers are usually listed). Call those people. Even if they're not willing to take you, they will probably have recommendations.

October 24, 2016 at 06:20 PM · Good idea, wish I had thought of that=)

October 24, 2016 at 07:37 PM · I study with Eugenia Alikhanova, who is an excellent player and teacher, and who will be playing with her trio in a week or two. She was the first violin of the Moscow String Quartet, which disbanded recently.

Here is an excerpt of The Moscow Quartet playing Shostakovich and giving a talk

Some other people you could look up are Lydia Svyatlovskaya, who is the concertmaster of the Colorado Ballet, and an excellent player - I heard her do a wonderful solo on Friday, playing Swan Lake at the Colorado Ballet.

Playing Wieniawski

Valentina Alykova is another Russian player that I haven't heard play, but I believe is a pretty well known teacher around here from the Russian tradition.

Playing Bach

I've heard teenage students of James Maurer play as soloists with local orchestras, and they have been very strong players.

I've also heard strong students of Kathleen Spring.

You can also try and get into contact with members of the Colorado Symphony, because I believe at least a few of them teach. I tend to lean Russian as far as what I'm looking for, but I think this list should do you pretty well. Good luck!

I think that a lot of the teachers I've listed represent a good number of competition-winning students. I know Alikhanova's and Maurer's specifically, but possibly others as well.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins