Electric Violin?

October 16, 2016 at 02:54 PM · So I am not a violinist, but my brother is. I needed to come up with a birthday present for him, and I thought "What would I want?". I play electric guitar, and I would have wanted a particular model. So I thought that getting him an electric solid body violin would make him pretty happy.

However, he has a fantastic ear, to the point where sometimes fairly pricey name brand violins do not tune close enough for him (By fairly pricey, I mean about $700). Is there a sub $400 electric violin that I could get that would still make him happy?

Replies (5)

October 16, 2016 at 03:06 PM · At that price you couldn't get anything that good except maybe second hand. However, you could buy a decent pickup. Look up the Electric Violin Shop and give them a call - apparently they are very good for advice.

October 16, 2016 at 03:07 PM · Look for used Fender FV1 violin. I liked those. Also, some of the used Yamaha electric violins are acceptable. i personally liked Yamaha SV130, but some people don't like it.

October 16, 2016 at 05:14 PM · I would instead suggest giving a gift certificate or a box of money so he can pick out what he wants! That way you know he will be happy with your gift...

October 16, 2016 at 10:51 PM · I think that he would need to play a solid body instrument to know if it would make him happy, especially if he plays acoustically. A gift certificate or check might provide a better option for him to choose among the many options available to electrify his current instrument or find a suitable solid body.

October 17, 2016 at 01:19 AM · Electric violins aren't for everyone, especially for people who've developed an ear for real violins. So it's pretty risky to assume that a violin player would be happy with an electric because you might yourself. The reality could be disappointing.

How about a nice violin case instead? That might last him longer than his violin and get regular use.

Or a recording device?

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop