Violin fingering?

October 15, 2016 at 05:27 AM · I've got an excerpt from Pirates of Caribbean here. Violin 1

The measures in question are 75-96.

I was hoping someone could give some advice on shifting and fingerings. Yes, it's a simple question that I would normally bring to a teacher, but I don't have access to one at the moment.

Replies (9)

October 15, 2016 at 09:54 AM · This is the kind of passage for which three different violinists will give you three sets of fingering. If you are playing this in an orchestra, the best thing to do is to ask the concertmaster. You want to do the same thing as the rest of the violin section because the fingering can affect the colour of the passage.

October 15, 2016 at 02:34 PM · I agree with Kevin on this.

October 15, 2016 at 04:44 PM · Yes, so do I. But it does not hurt to try a few fingerings of your own as this will widen your experience and you can also learn by your mistakes, as we all do.

October 15, 2016 at 06:07 PM · One player's opinion: I remember that spot. ms. 75, 5th position. ms. 76 6th pos. ms77, 5th pos. ms.78, 6th pos. with 4th finger extension (3-4-3-1), ms. 87, move to 4th pos. ms. 91, move to 5th pos. Some general principles: 1) Shift during the rests, including the unwritten small rests implied by the bowing. 2) extensions are easier, even preferred, in high positions. 3) 1st violin section players need to have accurate high notes; it's OK to shift up early in a passage, using the less-loud A-string. 4) orchestra section players do not have to use the same fingerings, those small differences contribute to the blend. Same bowings-Yes, same choice of strings--frequently yes. ~jq

October 15, 2016 at 08:55 PM · For the first section, I would stay in 5th the entire time so that your second finger is always on D. The rest I would reach!

October 16, 2016 at 04:37 AM · I do a lot of reaching too--I have large hands--my standpartner has small hands. We laugh at how different our fingerings can be. Another reason why giving fingerings to a stranger online can be a bit iffy--what works for my hand may not work for yours.

October 16, 2016 at 10:25 AM ·

October 18, 2016 at 09:31 PM · I might suggest a fingering that I find works - but if it doesn't work for others I don't make a big thing of it, because it's better to get the notes right no matter how you manage it. Besides, we're violists - it's enough that the concertmaster is on our case about bowing...

October 18, 2016 at 11:03 PM · What strange tempo markings, some in English, some in Italian. Consistency would be better.

As for the fingerings, it looks like you have plenty of time to shift for the high parts from 75-85, so I'd start in fifth and then shift up and and then back down to fifth again for the C, and then back up.

At measure 85, seems like third and fifth would work fine as well.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop