To fix a pegbox scratch

October 15, 2016 at 05:27 AM · Is there anything that even I could use to fix a pegbox scratch? The normal thing to do, taking it to a luthier, does not seem absolutely needed at the moment, and as I am not near my usual luthier, and I will not be until a few months when I go back home, can I use something to cover a scratch in the bottom of the pegbox?

I remember having read about something some people used to cover scratchs on their non-ebony fingerboards. I forgot the name, I wonder if it can be used to cover the scratch that right now casts shadows upon my soul - it does, it really does.

I should have been more careful, I know that. My E string broke, and the only reserve string I had was a dominant E, almost totally unwinded. Being an emergency and needing a string right away, I managed to keep it in the peg, somehow, after many unsuccessful attempts. Checking when we were done I saw the ugly scratch that you see below.

Replies (6)

October 15, 2016 at 06:33 AM · Black magic marker????

October 15, 2016 at 09:11 AM · With respect, just leave it. Character is formed by a miriad of little scratches and dents over time.

Cheers Carlo

October 15, 2016 at 04:25 PM · Uh... what scratch?

October 15, 2016 at 08:12 PM · When I was a kid,I worked at a second hand store. The owner would get tables with such marks. He had a set of special markers that came in various wood shades. He said they were for nicks in the wood from moving. I didn't say he was honest. He shorted me on wages and I quit. Maybe you can find such markers.

October 15, 2016 at 09:33 PM · "I remember having read about something some people used to cover scratchs on their non-ebony fingerboards. I forgot the name, I wonder if it can be used to cover the scratch that right now casts shadows upon my soul - it does, it really does."

Has it helped at all that a couple of us are telling you not to worry about it?

October 15, 2016 at 09:46 PM · This is why people buy "antiqued" violins. So they won't jump off a bridge the first time their fiddle gets a scratch or a ding.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins