Best Way to Travel

October 13, 2016 at 05:43 AM · Hi everyone!

Recently I've been trying to find some tips on traveling with your instrument but the only things I could dig up online pertain to flying with one. I didn't really want to put a bothersome question up here but I'm not sure where else I could find the information I'm looking for.

To put it short, my job is relocating me from central TN to central TX. I'll be moving on my own so it's not that I'm worried of movers jostling things around. My main concern is humidity and temperature changes during the trip.

The last time I traveled with my violin it was only a 6 hour drive and it stayed in the back seat of my car. I made sure to keep the case out of the sun and kept the car at a cooler temp. Even with taking the precautions, it still did not adjust well to what I can only assume was the change in humidity.

My violin isn't anything fancy but it was the best fit for me. I want to make sure it keeps singing long after the move is over.

So does anyone out there have any tips for traveling? Humidity control devices?

Thanks

Replies (5)

October 13, 2016 at 01:47 PM · You're driving? It should be fine in the car with your climate control on, though preferably the sun would not be directly on the case. If you're comfortable, the violin should be comfortable.

Never ever leave the violin in the car when you're not there. This is almost always a violation of your insurance policy on the violin, and it will subject the violin to the ambient temperature.

The other question is whether or not you have a decent case. A decent case should do a fairly good job of protecting the violin from temperature and humidity changes. Multi-layer plywood is probably best -- carbon fiber doesn't do a good job here.

When you get to your destination, if it's been subject to unusual temperatures, leave it in the case, with the case closed, in its new environment, for a couple of hours, before opening the case.

If its new climate is really different, the wood will go through an adjustment period, which can't be helped, other than by trying to ensure that its environment is friendly (temperature and humidity-controlled).

October 13, 2016 at 04:25 PM · Lydia is completely correct, but I want to repeat:

Never, ever leave your instrument in the car. If you stop to eat, it goes with you. If you stop for the night, it definitely goes with you!

October 13, 2016 at 05:02 PM · Thank you Lydia and Mary. It's my first time traveling far with it so I'm a bit nervous on how it will adjust. I do always make sure to bring it with me though. I can only imagine what would happen if someone were to leave it in a blistering hot car... Thank you again though. I feel more at ease about going out there with it now.

October 13, 2016 at 10:41 PM · This over the case........ :) :

http://www.sicurauto.it/upload/news_/11392/img/5772-anteprima.jpg

October 14, 2016 at 09:45 PM · Even more important - never ever leave a VIOLA in a car. Someone might break in and leave an additional viola there! ;-)

Which reminds me to get back to a certain other thread...

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins