Evah Pirazzi Golds

October 12, 2016 at 07:06 PM · Greetings everyone! I've been a little more experimental lately with the strings, and so after trying Jargar Superiors (which I liked quite a lot) I'm trying Evah Pirazzi Golds on my old Italian fiddle. Before this experimental phase, I'd been using Evahs, but with a Infeld Red G. As I understand it, the main different between Evahs and Evah Golds is the G, so this should be interesting.

So far, I'm still in the new-bright phase, but they are beginning to mellow. Does anyone else have experience with these strings? They may be a little pricy to make them a regular habit!

Replies (27)

October 12, 2016 at 07:57 PM · The EP Golds are different on all of the strings from the EPs (except possibly the E, which I'm less certain about). The gold G is very different than the silver G.

In my experience, using them on different violins, they don't mellow all that much, and what you get on day 1 is by and large what you'll have when you reach tuning stability -- they stay brilliant, resonant, and powerful, with the glow fading over weeks but the characteristics of the timbre remaining unchanged.

I think of them, on a spectrum from Obligato to regular Evahs, about 75% of the way towards being Evahs. They have more warmth and complexity, at a lower tension, than regular Evahs, trading off some raw power (but possibly projecting better due to the richer set of overtones).

October 12, 2016 at 08:11 PM · I played with them for six months through a lot of quartet concerts.

They sound great at first, but once they wear in they start to get very crunchy sounding and lose that colorful texture that they bring with them. The alternate G with the gold wire has a wonderful sound but a noticeable delay in response compared to the D.

I went back to my regular setup, Eudoxa Stiff G and D, Dlugolecki varnished gut A, and a Lenzner Goldbrokat 26 E.

October 12, 2016 at 08:19 PM · Ihave found the "crunchy" effect on worn Obligatos too: is this a common failing in the "composite" strings (as opposed to nylon/perlon?)

October 13, 2016 at 12:14 AM · I installed them on my violin and had lots of wolf tones on the upper register of the G string. I really did like the richness, but the G string problem was a deal breaker for me. I did put them on my second violin and they seemed to do much better on that instrument, but in the end were not as durable as I would like. I would guess they would react differently on individual violins.

I haven't tried them again and went back to my Vision solos.

October 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM · I have them on for some months now and they served me pretty well so far. I will make a detailed video about them on youtube when I find time. I can post the results here. Just short: G(silver)- warm but sometimes muddy, d- usually all brands have the smallest issues here, a- reliable and without any big problems like the d-string, e- phenomenal: good sound and projection.

About the Jargars: I liked them very much. i got them as a sponsorship from a shop so to say, otherwise they are to expensive for now. But they are very powerful strings, the E- string didn't fit my violin at all, but after I changed back to a jargar (regular) medium E I enjoyed the superiors quite much. Especially the upper registers on the G string were outstanding. Very focussed and with lots of bite.

October 13, 2016 at 06:49 AM · I use them on my Amati. They are the strings I am most happy with on this instrument. Warmer than normal EPs but still with plenty of power. More colours can be drawn from the violin too.

Cheers Carlo

October 13, 2016 at 07:15 PM · Hi Laurie,

I've tried EP Golds. They do sound good and quite warm / intense after the initial break-in. I found that the great sound didn't last long though, and had a rather sharp decline at the 3 week mark.

If you like the power of regular Evah's but want more color/warmth, I've found the Corelli Cantiga set to be a good string in that family of sound. Even the E in that set is quite good. As far as the price, Cantiga's are almost ridiculously inexpensive for the quality and longevity.

Hope that helps!

October 13, 2016 at 07:15 PM · double post

October 13, 2016 at 07:45 PM · Reading all of this, I wonder if we have collectively agreed that there is no such thing as long-lasting string. Have we given up hope for inexpensive and long-lasting string? I have been Pirastro's loyal customer, but their high price and short life span have driven me toward other brands. What is it that they can not make strings with a bit longer life span? Did they really hit the limits of material's properties or this is just a money grab? Is this the price we have to pay for more power and higher tension?

After all, a set of guitar strings is ridiculously less expensive. Not to mention our cellists who pay over $500 per set. Does it really have to be this way?

Gut core has to be processed semi-manually and it is labor-intensive job, therefore price tag is about right.

Synthetic core is mass produced and comes ready made, so there is next to zero manual labor.

R&D, winding. Q/A and all... sure, but over $100 per set?

+=Cantiga

October 13, 2016 at 09:12 PM · Rocky,

Some are longer lasting than others, depending on your sound threshold and playing style. Also, strings end their life in different ways. Some have a sudden and sharp falloff, others are a predictable decline.

Why the short lifespan? I think that small bowed strings (violin) go through a lot more stress than either larger bowed (cello) or plucked (guitar) forces.

I'm not sure what "+=Cantiga" means.

October 13, 2016 at 09:53 PM · I find that the EP Gold (silver wrapped) G is a decent string-- as consensus has it, much of the goods of the regular EP, but lower tension.

I tried EP Golds as a set on one violin but didn't care for the result. Perhaps using the gold-wrapped G was a problem. Anyway, that one seems to be happier at higher tension. The maker used to use all-EP, and then moved to PI on the E and A to loosen it a tad. My own contribution was to put a heavy Passione on the A, and I'm experimenting with an aluminum PI on the D. I may go back to EP on the D when it is time to change.

On the other, I was using all-PIs, and wanted to get a bit more warmth and texture into the sound. I started there also by swapping in the Passione A, and while the general effect was OK, it was a bit limp. The maker suggested either going to all-Vision Solo set or trying the EP Gold G. I did the latter, and am very happy. It balances the PI Platinum E very well; the whole thing now has fabulous projection, with more woodiness and less sterility in the sound.

I still can't comment on longevity. Regular EPs sound pretty good for me until a point (6 weeks in?) where the quality just drops off the edge of the table. No obvious difficulties with any one string, but clashing overtones that make them impossible to play in tune. We'll see if the Gold G has the same problem.

October 13, 2016 at 10:40 PM · "+=" is short for

Cantiga = Cantiga + 1

...or add 1 more voice for Cantiga

October 14, 2016 at 12:07 AM · Hi Rocky,

I see. I found the Cantiga's to be very long lasting, with a very gradual decline. They are really interesting strings -- particularly since they aren't from one of the "top 2" manufacturers.

As far as the "top 2" go,, I generally find Thomstik products to decline gradually, and Pirastro products to decline rapidly. Too bad, because the Pirastro strings (Evah Green, Evah Gold, Passione) generally sound exceptional after break-in.

October 14, 2016 at 02:05 AM · I've found Obligatos to be longer lasting than the EPs / EP Golds, but they have the same composite core, so I wonder if being under less tension helps their longevity.

The Warchal strings I've used have had long lives, and they continue to sound pretty good at the 6 month mark, even if they've lost their sizzle -- i.e., they still play well, harmonics continue to ring clearly.

October 14, 2016 at 09:51 AM · These strings loose their sheen in a week and they go dull in a month. They have been a valuable experience for me. I learned, that one should not use anything else but thomastik.

For orchestra work and older instruments - dominants.

For solo work and fiddling - Vsion Titanium Solo.

In both cases I suggest Westminster medium E. It's thunderous and subtle at the same time.

I must mention, though - I play with heavy machinery nearby (Cajon, Accordion Double bass) - and I need to cut through with a suitable ear numbing volume.

October 14, 2016 at 04:50 PM · I agree with Lydia on Warchal's. They tend to live a long life with a gradual decline (have tried Vintage Brilliant, Brilliant, and Amethyst).

Tony -- I generally find Dominant's and Titanium Solo's to be great strings too. I use Dominant's on my contemporary violin though and it sounds/projects great for solo work.

Westminster E is also a really good choice (I like the thick gauge). I also like the Hill Thick and Gold Label Medium E's.

October 14, 2016 at 04:50 PM · double post (again!)

October 14, 2016 at 10:02 PM · The only thing that I can add is that they can provide a sound that is quite unique and they provide a great dark and bright sound. At times they might sound muddy if you are used to the clarity of Evahs. However, they are warmer and more textured in sound with great stability. I personally prefer the lower tension of the gold g and it's a great set from pirastro. I can usually get about 6 months out of the set - if not a little longer.

October 14, 2016 at 10:17 PM · I keep going back to Corelli Cantiga strings. They sound good, last forever, and well priced. What more can one ask? If money wasn't an issue, I would use Kaplan Amo more often.

October 15, 2016 at 07:01 PM · I've been happy for a long time with Vision (regular) Solo for G, D, and A. I'm still experimenting with E's. They have good focus - and with a fair amount of quality and color, and they lose these aspects so slowly and gradually and that I'm loath to change them. (Also the cost and I'm lazy when it comes to string changing!)

November 4, 2016 at 10:15 AM · These strings which sound fantastic initially, have a severe drop off at about four weeks. If I could afford to change these monthly they would be ideal strings. However, I'm going back to PI as these last me three months, and sound nearly as good, with only a slow decline.

Cheers Carlo

November 5, 2016 at 08:11 PM · I'm with Carlo Ballara. I tried EP Golds on my 1691 Cappa and initially they were great but then about the 3rd week they suddenly went south. Went back to my regular EPs for that instrument.

November 6, 2016 at 12:43 AM · PIs do decline remarkably slowly. So much so that I am always surprised how much better a new set sounds.

November 16, 2016 at 01:26 AM · I'm in the fourth week of a new set of E.P. Golds. Not feeling very happy with the silver wound G --the sound is not nearly as good as promised, and it seems to have brought out a lot of wolf tones and screeching in the higher notes. Also it gets very dull -- despite the wolves -- in the second octave. (Not that I play a whole lot in that range on the G, but one likes to have it in reserve.) I find that both the Vision Titanium Solo and the Warchal Amber G strings produce a much richer and more even sound from bottom to top. The D string is fairly good and the A was overly nasal at first but seems to have settled down now and I'm liking it better. I haven't tried the E belonging to this set. Instead, I'm sticking with Warchal Amber, the best E string I've ever found. When these EPG are done, I think I'll switch back to a full set of Warchal Amber or VTS. I've also been impressed with Passiones, though they take a while to settle in. On the whole the EPG have a strong sound, but they don't seem to me sufficiently balanced or well focussed. They might sound better on another violin.

November 17, 2016 at 11:25 PM · I have used these Evah gold on several violins, from old Italian to new American/Chinese: as many have experienced, they don't last quite long and the sound can change quite dramastically, from the gold brilliant tone to VERY warm and mellow, so is the tension ( these are not the easiest strings to play with, while new, but can go much softer after the break in period ). As for Warchal Amber: these are meant to reproduce the "guts string" sound without tuning instability, with much less tension ( also volume), if compared to Evah gold, totally different kind of animal.

November 26, 2016 at 09:33 PM · Here is my opinion in video form. I was pretty much positively surprised by the Evah Golds in the beginning, but later on they lost too much edge and that too fast!

November 30, 2016 at 12:56 AM · Excellent video review! Thanks for this, Simon. It was most helpful. I have found some of the same characteristics, but because my violin is quite powerful and warm in sound, I found the initial effect rather overbearing, and the A string sounded too prominent. I think I will try out the E string for this set, it might be a better combination.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins