String Suggestions

October 11, 2016 at 06:35 PM · Hi all, I currently have dominant on my violin and the sound is brilliant but almost too brilliant especially on the A and E. I was thinking about getting a little warmer maybe dark set of strings. Maybe Infeld Red. Any suggestions?

Replies (7)

October 11, 2016 at 08:41 PM · All you can do is try.

Warchal Amber can be nice too.

October 11, 2016 at 09:03 PM · Or Warchal Karneol is good for mellowing the tone. Reasonably priced too, which is always nice.

October 11, 2016 at 09:30 PM · Jeff, personally I've never liked the sound of Dominants on any violin(other than current one, I haven't put Dominants on this violin yet). Infeld Red has been my go-to until the Canadian economy turned them from $40Cdn sets to $80Cdn sets.

As an alternative, I tried Warchal Ametyst, it was very good, and the sample sets are 1/2 price. Also Ametyst lasted longer than Infeld Red for me. I am hoping to save up for a bulk order at the turn of the year.

Karnoel, I don't know what happened exactly but it was a TERRIBLE combination with my violin. I also liked Warchal Brilliant Vintage. I also like Obligatos. I am currently using up Warchal Amber, it has so far been acceptable. Not "good" but not "bad" either.

October 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM · Vision Orchestra have a nice dark sound if that's the direction you're trying to go.

I think PI G and Aluminum D, plus Vision Solo A and Jargar Medium E sound great. They project, but also have a well-rounded sound profile. Pricey, though, but they do sound noticeably better than Dominants plus Jargar (medium or forte) next to my ear. I wonder, though, if the project is much better than Dominants with Jargar Forte E, which sound a little rougher next to my ear but seem like they're rougher in a way that project well. Need to do some testing with a microphone in a large space.

October 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM · Hi,

Jeff: what E are you using with your Dominants strings? Dominants are a good string, but different Es change the character of the set quite a bit. If you are finding excess brilliance, you may want to try something like a Hill E that will temper both the E and Dominant A. If a different E doesn't work, then you may want to try something else. What kind of sound are you looking for?

Cheers!

October 11, 2016 at 11:27 PM · Might want to give Obligato a try, they seem to mellow out the violins I have seen them on.

October 12, 2016 at 01:45 AM · As others have said, you'll just have to try out some strings to hear what works well on your instrument.

I tried Dominant A-D-G, only once, on one of my fiddles 10 years ago, and I liked them generally. My only complaint: The G mittel -- medium -- didn't stay focused in high positions like 7th and 8th on this instrument.

I avoided Dominant E -- I'd heard too many complaints about it. At first, I tried Jargar Forte E -- too powerful for my taste. Pirastro Gold E suited me better.

This fiddle now has a Lenzner/Thomastik combo I like much better: E - Goldbrokat medium; A - Vision Solo; D - Peter Infeld aluminum; G - Infeld Red. The G response with Red is much better on this instrument in high positions.

Another of my fiddles has Goldbrokat medium + Infeld Red A-D-G and gives me the response I'm looking for -- especially the viola sound in the contralto range. The third fiddle does better with a Pirastro wound-gut A-D-G combo -- A - Passione; D-G - Eudoxa stiff.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins