Do any electric violin playing members use a POG?

October 8, 2016 at 07:26 PM · I just saw this video and was impressed with the steel drum sound it can produce:

Does anyone on this site use one, and what other kinds of sounds (other than the cello and bass lines she mentions) can it be used for?

Replies (4)

October 8, 2016 at 10:49 PM · I didn't watch your video. (I have limited megapixels per month without having an additional charge, so I have to pick my videos carefully.) But I had an EHX "Micro POG" at one time, and it was fun to use. The Micro POG could go one octave up and one octave down, and could play either of those alone, both together, and also let the original frequency through or not. As a violinist I found the octave up to be piercing and shrill, and of no particular use. But the octave down was kind of empowering. The unit tracked really reliably, accurately sensing the input notes and creating a pleasing reproduction in another octave, double stops too. I used it on my acoustic violin with an onboard microphone (DPA 4099) and a soundboard contact pickup (Schertler Basik), and it was reliable in either case.

Most of those effects boxes are made with guitarist's in mind, but my experience was that it worked very well with a bowed instrument. I'd say go for it. Maybe even get a two octave model.

Why don't I have it any more? Sometimes I'm a bit too much of a hard boiled "classicist," and I periodically purge things that don't fit into that mold. And sometimes I live to regret that! On the other hand, there's much to be valued in a clean, simple living space too.

October 9, 2016 at 12:11 PM · I use the POG and a Strymomd Blue Sky. You can do a lot with those two pedals if you're looking for a couple to start with. As the previous post said, I suggest keeping the octave up volume at zero.

October 9, 2016 at 01:18 PM · I thought of using a PIG but the smell put me off ...

October 14, 2016 at 12:04 AM · Thanks Mark and Josh and I tried the POG nano at the local Sam Ash but could not replicate the sound from that video. Either I need better technique or she was playing it with another pedal too. The salesperson brought out a KEY9 which may be able to recreate the sound but I need to find out more. Anyone here used that pedal?

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop