Violin Bad Dreams!

October 6, 2016 at 07:18 PM · So last night I had what I think is the first violin-related bad dream I recall in recent memory! (so of course my reaction was to make a post here on!)

I don't remember the context too well but I think I had a recital or something of the sort coming up, and I was practicing with one of my violins when I noticed the seam between the bottom plate and the ribs was coming apart! So I put that one down to grab another violin, which was having the exact same problem!

That being a bad dream, instead of making a call to the luthier, I started going about trying to fix the problem myself with superglue! I remember the last of the dream was basically one long angst about the violins no longer sounding like they did before.

Got any unsettling violin-related dreams to share? ;)

Replies (11)

October 6, 2016 at 08:45 PM · In one violin dream, I took a fall on my way over to my office, and everything seemed fine from the outside. When I opened the case, an entire piece (maybe 1/4) from the treble, afterlength side of my violin came off. In that dream, I somehow decided to put it back in the case, and suddenly the case fell from my desk(yes, the scene changed from walking on a path to somehow sitting in my room), and suddenly my violin inside the opened case fell out of my window(again, sudden scene change). I think the first thing I did when I woke up was to close my windows then checked my violin when I woke up.

October 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM · I reckon those dreams were caused by breathing in too much of the wrong sort of rosin dust coming off the bow ;)

October 7, 2016 at 12:50 AM · I had a funny one where I was at in the seats of Julliard's stage, and saw Perlman and Zukerman sitting alongside all the other modern soloists in a couple of rows...

I didnt get to say a word to anybody! :O

October 7, 2016 at 01:50 AM · Once I had a nightmare where I got my violin confiscated, I haven't the foggiest memory of why but I know I spent the whole time trying to get it back. In the end of the dream the people who took her destroyed her! I woke up so relived to see my violin in one pice.

October 7, 2016 at 01:35 PM · I've had a couple dreams in which the bridge suddenly got soft and "melted" as if it were something from a Salvador Dali painting. Then the violin would start to come apart. Fortunately I would wake up before too much torture.

October 7, 2016 at 01:38 PM · I heard of a violinist who dreamed he was playing Handel's Messiah, then awoke to find that he was !

October 7, 2016 at 01:59 PM · Not exactly unsettling, this, more ecstatic, but long before I took up the violin i dreamed i was dancing up Charing Cross Road in London on a bright summer's day, playing the violin with total freedom and expressive fluency (as happens in dreams, but not necessarily in life). What made the dream particularly vivid was the sense of how totally natural the experience of playing seemed (as happens, in dreams, but not, ..etc), which was n a positive way unsettling enough to make me want to learn the instrument.

October 7, 2016 at 02:32 PM · I have once had daydreams where I was prevented from learning the viola and forced to play an instrument I hated because of ridiculous family reasons. I have also had weird dreams where my C string would stop working in the middle of practice, and I could not get a sound, even when I was bowing way harder than normal.

October 7, 2016 at 03:32 PM · Not a bad dream, but a memorable one...

Once before an important exam, I dreamt in vivid detail that I was practising the violin. The dream went on for ever. It was the best practice I ever did in my life. If only I could practise like that every night!

Cheers Carlo

October 7, 2016 at 05:48 PM · I had this dream in which the devil was at the foot of my bed playing the violin. The devil then asked me to be his servant and to write down the notes of the exquisitely beautiful piece he was performing. The work included an incredibly beautiful section with trills which were unlike anything I had ever heard. Upon awakening I struggled to remember every detail, but couldn't. It turned out that it was a piece very similar to one written by a famous baroque composer and performer.For fear of breaking copy write laws I destroyed my manuscript and wept bitterly.

October 7, 2016 at 07:16 PM · Nice dream, Giuseppe!

Most of my violin dreams have been very nice and even auspicious, in my view. I've gotten coachings in my dreams from Jascha Heifetz, Isaac Stern, Glenn Dicterow and and formed a friendship with Hillary Hahn. Most recently I dreamed that I was making a recording of the Bruch G minor. Pinchas Zukerman was coaching me - and even lent me his del Gesu for the recording!

However, over the years I have had the following recurring anxiety dream several times: I suddenly remind myself that I have to go out on stage right now and play a recital that I totally forgot about until this moment and hadn't practiced at all for. I don't even remember what I'm scheduled to play and think about trying to get hold of a program backstage and decide whether I should try to fake it or go out and explain to the audience and hope that they'll understand and forgive me. It never gets resolved. Just then I wake up.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop