Good enough for top conservatories???

October 6, 2016 at 03:31 PM · Hi everyone,

I'm sure you might be familiar with my past contributing posts.

I just wanted to ask for opinions on the path I'm taking.

Since the last time I posted here's what I've accomplished and the repertoire I'm working on now

All-State Orchestra (1st Violins/10th chair)

Acceptance into:

BU Tanglewood

Brevard

Interlochen (this is where I went for the summer,they gave me the most money)

at Interlochen I played with both of the orchestras there (I moved up after my 3rd seating audition)

Youth Orchestra (co-concertmaster)

School Orchestra (concertmaster)

Repertoire and Etude books

Kreutzer and Rode

Schradieck/Dounis

Flesch Scales

Sevcik op 1,3,8,9

Wieniawski 2nd Vln Concerto

Lalo Symphonie Espagnole (doing it for a competition)

Paganini #13 and #16

Bach E major Partita

Franck Sonata

My question is will I be good enough to audition for top conservatories such as NEC, CIM, Rice, Oberlin, Juilliard,Manhattan, Eastman. I've been playing for almost 3 years now so I know it puts me at a major disadvantage, but I heard that if I can play this repertoire perfectly and it would look better than someone trying to choke out a Sibelius or Tchaikovsky. I'm currently at 5 hours of individual practice a day (doesn't include my hour-lessons twice a week, and youth orchestra/school orchestra, and what not.)

I'm also planning on competing in several local and one national competition, but we'll see how that goes.

However my top choice is NEC right now.

Yes I know what you're thinking, how is it that I jumped from Bach A minor concerto to Wieniawski and Lalo and paganini in about a year? I don't know myself, but I do know that I just practiced as much as possible everyday and put as much care into everything I did and I thirsted for as much knowledge, guidance, and help as I could from any and everywhere. It could also be that I have talent as I've heard from people but I believe it was just hard work and pure love for what I'm doing.

However, I'm ready for the thoughts and opinions.

Replies (1)

October 6, 2016 at 06:03 PM · (Saving others the trouble of looking up the past posts from 2015: [1] [2] [3])

Congratulations on your hard work.

I think that the clip that you posted of your Wieniawski #2 (here) was very instructive and you got a lot of useful feedback to it (thread #3 above).

I would suggest that you post another clip -- preferably video this time (shot with a smartphone would be just fine). Probably whatever of the above represents your playing well -- I'd suggest posting your Wieniawski 2 since presumably you're done working on it, and it'd also serve as a useful comparison point to a year ago. Hearing your Paganini #13 would probably also be very useful.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins