1st or 3rd movement??

October 6, 2016 at 03:54 AM · So I have started playing the Saint-Saens violin concerto no.3, and I can't really decide which movement I want to learn. The first movement is very charismatic and beautiful, while the third movement is also very vibrant. Thoughts? Which movement do you like better and why?

Replies (8)

October 6, 2016 at 04:28 AM · At this level, you should be learning concertos in their entirety, preferably front-to-back, 1st movement onwards. That way they'll unfold in their proper musical order.

Did you already finish Zigeunerweisen?

October 6, 2016 at 06:49 AM · I'm boycotting David's posts until he tells us of his meeting with Itzhak Perlman!

October 6, 2016 at 04:53 PM · I'm working on the Saint Saens No.3 in B Minor (1st Movement) with my teacher, and it really isn't a huge step up from the Mendelssohn. If anything, focus on the first movement, and once you can play with some grace, move on to the 3rd. I agree with Lydia, Concertos should be learned to their entirety, rather than a movement.

Weren't you learning Wolfhart etudes, in the recent past? If so, kudos to you for your massive improvement :).

October 6, 2016 at 08:11 PM · “Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

October 6, 2016 at 08:37 PM · Thanks,

I'll work on the first movement. I quit Wolfhart a while back, and I improved a lot since beginning of summer. I finished Zigeunerweisen, it took about 4 months? And I also played Bach A minor for its musicality

October 6, 2016 at 08:39 PM · Fox, I thought I would meet Itzhak Perlman, but it was just a rehearsal. Two years ago, when JB came, we got to ask questions, but not now. I'm sorry to disappoint you. I'm disappointed that I didn't get to ask a question too.

October 6, 2016 at 09:20 PM · Does your teacher have any input into this? I don't give my students a choice. They learn the first movement, then the second, then the third.

October 6, 2016 at 10:44 PM · Aw, that's sad! But still, you got to go to their rehearsal, that's still good for you! :)

(boycott lifted!)

And I think Lydia is correct (as she usually is), learn it from beginning to end. If there is any specific part in the middle of the concertos that is of specific relevance to what your teacher is teaching you, in those cases you might start with that first, but normally I would go from beginning to end.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins