Well %@#!

October 6, 2016 at 03:54 AM · So a few weeks ago my father brought in a stray kitten into the house. I am not a cat person, the damn things tend to claw me pretty good. This one however is interesting, he "likes" my violin, or to be more specific when I play. So now when I try to practice he tends to sing along. I am not sure if he is trying to give me a correct pitch or is just singing to sing. But, it is hilarious because it gets on my dogs nerves and they try to harmonies different notes to shut him up. This can go on for hours even after I have put away my violin. My brother is a violist he does not have this kind of experience, to his disappointment. My house hold think it's cute that they all do that I am wondering if they are crying in pain. Either way this is my well %@#! moment for the year.

Replies (15)

October 6, 2016 at 04:28 AM · My dog used to howl along when I played alto sax, but he seemed to never like my violin playing. I guess animals have instrumental preferences. That sounds cute by the way.

October 6, 2016 at 04:46 AM · Our Siamese used to swat at my bow arm as I played violin while my mother accompanied on the piano. Our dog tunes up along with our quartet on Friday mornings.

October 6, 2016 at 06:41 AM · One of my cats DEMANDS to be near me while I play. Preferably in my lap, but I tend to play standing so he lays by my feet. He will meow and paw frantically at the door if I close it without him in the room with me.

The other cat runs away the moment she sees me reaching for the violin.

Go figure! ;)

October 6, 2016 at 08:11 AM · One of our dogs beats time with her tail when I'm playing.

October 6, 2016 at 09:38 AM · Could you record it?

It sounds wonderful!

October 6, 2016 at 10:03 AM · I think the world has enough cat videos thank you very much !

October 6, 2016 at 01:57 PM · My teacher's cat likes my violin case

October 6, 2016 at 03:57 PM · so cute!

October 6, 2016 at 04:47 PM · Here are a few pieces you should learn to play:

Bach's Magnificat, and the Paganini Catprices.

But you have to be sure to play them purrfectly.

So, ask me-how.

Here's how (and I'm not lion about this).

You have to be willing to learn a litter bit at a time.

And you have to practice fur at least an hour each day.

And be sure to keep the fleas out of the bow hairs (That way, you won't scratch).

And that's the way to claw your way to the top.

Does that help?

October 6, 2016 at 08:14 PM · So cute! My dear departed cat did not like my playing at all!

October 6, 2016 at 09:56 PM · Our two Seal Point Siamese brothers (Harry and Ron) both like it when I play my violin or give a lesson. Why? Not the playing, it is the timing. After the playing or the lessons it is dinner time for the cats. At the end, Ron gives me his fortissimo Siamese voice to let me know that he is hungry and it is time to feed the cats!

October 6, 2016 at 10:23 PM · My dog comes in whatever room I'm in when I am listening to or playing something and lays down to listen. I think he also wants some pets too. :p

October 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM · I didn't think this would get this much traffic. Anyway, I am glad to hear that this is more or less normal behavior from pets. Also no I will not record this mostly because I asgree with Mr.Kelly, too many cat videos! Also its not as appeaing as you'd think. Mr. Hesse that is adorable. Mr. Macus thank you for the word play that was awesome! Ms. Brown may I barrow your dog for a day or two? My dog ate my tuner.

October 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM · A long time ago when I was a kid we had two dogs and if I was practicing in the living room he akways came in and sat down as if he enjoyed the music. He woukd also do this when my sister practiced her flute. The other dog showed no interest whatsoever in our music and I do think it odd that this one dog would be consistently drawn to our music making. This particular dog lived to be 19 and was blind the last two years of his life.

October 7, 2016 at 03:53 PM · Stuart:

In answer to your question, our cat [one left] looks at me when I play and occasionally me-ow's, but puts her paws over her ears when I mention yet another pun. Considering the level of my violin-playing, I consider that a compliment.

Our dogs, however, pay no attention to my puns, but stare at me when I play the violin. My wife tells me she thinks they're trying to guess the name of the composer (usually it's Barktok or Wagner).

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop