Place to rent a carbon fiber violin?

October 5, 2016 at 02:02 PM · Hi all - does anyone know where I would be able to rent / borrow a carbon fiber violin, short term?

It's a bit involved if I try to explain the entire story, but td;lr, I'm a physics undergrad and I'm interested in conducting experiments on the physical properties of a composite violin, aka carbon fiber violin, for my senior project. Yes, I am a violinist too! My violin is made by a physicist (amazing, I know!), and he expressed interest toward helping. Right now, I'm just looking at options and scope for this project.

Thanks for your reply!

Replies (9)

October 5, 2016 at 04:15 PM · What part of the country are you located, and how long a time would you need to borrow it?

October 5, 2016 at 07:25 PM · Hi Wesley, my shop Bay Fine Strings has a Luis & Clark carbon fiber violin available for your project, I could certainly help you with that if you want to send me a PM or an email to

October 5, 2016 at 10:52 PM · I'm envious of your option for senior project.

October 5, 2016 at 11:27 PM · Hi Dave, I'm currently in (Northern) California, and I would want to borrow it for three weeks-one month at max (during January).

Thomas, thank you! I'll send an email to you soon about this.

Steven, it's a perk of liberal arts colleges! (though I've heard other schools don't even have any sort of senior project)

Thanks everyone for your replies! -Wesley

October 6, 2016 at 12:51 AM · When your experiment is done, can you share the details/results with us? :)

October 6, 2016 at 12:58 AM · Wesley, I did my senior project up here in Canada on qualifying particle detectors(muon, in particular sTGC for ATLAS at CERN). My school specializes in particle and medical physics, and I cannot even suggest a project I'd like to work on, because all of the faculty members are already engaged in heavy research that they want to train new students on.

October 6, 2016 at 02:51 AM · Fox - I'll be happy to! Gimme a few months on it though...

Steven - While I do find Muon production rather interesting, my only experience is with a classic scintillator...

October 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM · Wesley, since you in Northern California, you might want to get in touch with Robert at Elixir Violins (, located near San Francisco. I purchased one of his carbon fiber violins a couple of years ago and because he is a builder, he might be able to provide an instrument along with some interesting perspectives on construction options.

October 7, 2016 at 04:04 AM · Thanks for the link Dave! I wasn't aware of a small-time carbon fiber builder in N.CA

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop