Saint-Saens and Tchaikovsky?

October 5, 2016 at 03:23 AM · Looking at the third movement of both pieces, which is harder? Tchaikovsky or Saint-Saens no 3 concerto? The saint saens has crazy high notes for a lot of the movement. The Tchaikovsky has almost no high notes, but is very difficult. Which is harder to learn?

Replies (8)

October 5, 2016 at 03:34 AM · Tchaikovsky.

October 5, 2016 at 11:30 AM · Agreed

October 5, 2016 at 01:04 PM · Tchaikovsky. No question.

October 5, 2016 at 04:57 PM · Tchaikovsky and Saint-Saens both have different technical and musical challenges. Heifetz said the most technically demanding works for him were the Mozart and Beethoven concertos.

October 5, 2016 at 05:15 PM · Also, at a certain point of skill, the reaction that less-advanced students have of "OMG all the ledger lines!!!!!" goes away, and you by and large stop thinking about things in higher positions as significantly more difficult than what's in lower positions.

October 5, 2016 at 06:29 PM · It's nice to see that you have ended using the term 'song' when reffering to pieces of the classical repertoire. :)

October 6, 2016 at 02:13 AM · Totally Tchaikovksy, just in case you didn't believe everyone else. ;)

October 6, 2016 at 02:17 AM · "Also, at a certain point of skill, the reaction that less-advanced students have of "OMG all the ledger lines!!!!!" goes away, and you by and large stop thinking about things in higher positions as significantly more difficult than what's in lower positions."

Agreed, because you start thinking about the notes as representative of melodies (or whatever other musical function) rather than OMG so high. You're hearing the music and the register is less important. Take it an octave down for fun! Or, as the lovely and tremendously talented fiddle player Liz Carroll once said, "what would happen if I played this in another key"? I once forced myself to transpose the first page of Don Juan into all keys while I was on tendinitis violin-bedrest. That was illuminating.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins