chin rest

October 4, 2016 at 02:45 PM · Can some one advise for a good chin rest?

Replies (7)

October 4, 2016 at 03:26 PM · If your talking about brands of chinrest then I can't help you. But if your talking about the TYPE of chinrest... By personal experience... A Guarneri Chinrest type can help you. The chin rest that is mounted in the middle of the violin.

October 4, 2016 at 04:13 PM · A chin rest (perhaps it should be more accurately called a "jaw rest"?) is very much a personal thing, and a good choice depends very much on the details of the player's anatomy from the collar bone and shoulder upwards. It's not easy to make a good choice on your own unless you're prepared to spend money buying one rest after another for a couple of years until you find the one that does the job perfectly - many of us have been down that road! I'd therefore recommend finding a violin store staffed by reliable and experienced people who can measure you and find the rest that suits your physique - a bit like going to a good out-door sports store for a long distance walking shoe fitting.

October 4, 2016 at 04:59 PM · I believe that centre-mounted CR, like the Guarnieri, lets the violin ring better. Sometimes a side-mounted can muffle the tone. This is rather violin dependant, as some violins aren't affected by this. However choose one on comfort!

Cheers Carlo

October 4, 2016 at 05:39 PM · It depends on your body geometry and the individual violin itself. Get all the comparison tryouts you can. "Less is more" when it comes to height -- don't use anything taller than you need. On this basis, I eliminated the Berber and Flesch center-mounted models -- too tall for me. Guarnieri wasn't a good fit for me, either.

I've since settled on Teka medium for two of my fiddles and the lower-set Dresden for the third instrument.

FWIW, I use Strad Pads on all of my CRs -- I like the added feeling of easy grip and reliable traction -- a bit like having anti-slippage material on the sole of a shoe. I don't get any skin irritation, either, even though I typically play up to 3 hours a day -- my schedule won't allow for any more.

October 4, 2016 at 06:03 PM · Hi,

Chinrest type/style is individual and you have to try and find what works for you. Standards ones that are often used are the guarneri as mentioned above, as well as the Teka, Flesch and Kaufmann.

As for companies, my personal favourite is Alexander Accessories. Beautiful craftsmanship, they are works of art. And, they have a large selection of different models.

Cheers!

October 4, 2016 at 06:18 PM · I once walked into a violin studio where all the display models had Glaesel CR. How could they make such a boo-boo ? I just had to buy and try.

Never looked back and that was 3 years ago.

I previously found that the neck stretchers caused spine problems (was that SAS?). I like to occasionally lean into some notes.

October 4, 2016 at 09:36 PM · Despite the price, I buy wooden Tekas: they are easier to cut and carve.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins