Unbelievable

October 4, 2016 at 03:31 AM · I have a friend who recently purchased one of the diamond carbon fiber bows brand new and it was full of rosin so much so that he hasn't had to rosin since he got it and he has a $5,000.00 violin that has been covered in that rosin and the company that sold it to him is a trusted store here in Texas. I told him that he could possibly use a soft bristled tooth brush to remove some of the rosin will this harm the horse hair because I have been doing this too? But I can't believe that they sold him a $700-800 dollar bow with this much rosin in it you could practically rosin 3 or 4 new bows with the rosin that is on it.

Replies (8)

October 4, 2016 at 04:08 AM · The excess rosin will eventually play out. Your friend should be in the habit of wiping off his violin and bow (the stick, not the hair) with a soft cloth every time he puts it away after playing. Problem solved.

October 4, 2016 at 04:11 AM · I've had similar issues, my solution was to use the bow on least valued instrument for a week, then start fresh.

If that's not an option for your friend, I did experiment cleaning bow hair with isopropyl alcohol. It turned out bad, and stuck few strands of hair together due to half-solved rosin. I ended up cleaning the hair with water, and brushed it until it dried. It's serviceable, but I won't do that again.

October 4, 2016 at 05:53 AM · The answer is to tell the shop selling the bow or re-hairing it to on no account rosin the bow. It's easy to do it yourself, and just enough.

October 4, 2016 at 03:37 PM · As Mary Ellen said...But once in a while if there is, for some reason, a lot of excess, use a clean tissue or cloth on the hair.

October 4, 2016 at 09:02 PM · I get my bows rehaired every six months to a year and they are always heavily rosined no matter who does it. I like lots of rosin anyway and just take a minute after practicing to wipe the dust from instrument and bow.

October 4, 2016 at 09:09 PM · Not an issue. I'd use a clean toothbrush to get rid of any excess. I'd prefer too much to none at all...saves me having to work enough in to get things started.

October 4, 2016 at 09:29 PM · I think that powdered rosin is often applied to new or rehaired bows just so the customer won't start out with a slippery-haired bow. You can get a lot of rosin on a bow using powder.

October 5, 2016 at 03:12 PM · thanks for all the replies everyone

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop