Bow Maintenance Question

October 3, 2016 at 07:52 PM · I'm taking my good bow in to be rehaired shortly and planned to ask the archetier to also look at my thumb leather. The leather itself is in good condition, but it has begun sliding up onto the winding when I play. There appears to be some kind of sticky paper or tape underneath, which I concluded must be the method by which the leather was secured.

I had two questions. First is whether it might be possible to simply secure the existing leather in a similar fashion, or if it might require replacement due to stretching or some such? The second being whether I should be prepared not to expect same-day service. Since I'm driving several hours away, my preference is not to leave the bow to be mailed back, but the work needs doing regardless so there may not be much choice in the matter.

I'm not acquainted with the individual doing the work so I asked my teacher (who is arranging the appointment) to make the archetier aware of the issue. However, I haven't heard whether my questions were answered yet and I was hoping someone here could render an opinion so I could be prepared for possible extra time and expenses.

Replies (4)

October 3, 2016 at 08:03 PM · You should really have a back up bow. A fairly cheap $400 carbon fibre bow would be OK. (Providing it works for you, and has a reasonable sound, which most do).

But a re-hair and any work on the leather or binding should not take that long.

October 3, 2016 at 08:05 PM · Don't know why this keeps happening? And not just to me. something wrong with the software.

(A blank post)

October 3, 2016 at 08:58 PM · I have several backup bows, so that's not an issue. I am just nervous about mailing my good bow because it was very expensive. Hence the reason I'm taking a day off from the office to drive several hours away to get the work done. It's good to hear that the leather repair shouldn't take long. The archetier had already promised a two hour turnaround on the rehair so if the leather repair is quick, it seems likely that it could be done while I wait. Thanks!

October 3, 2016 at 09:07 PM · Rehair and a leather replacement should be doable while you wait. You should make sure that they promise that they'll get the leather done at the same time as well, though, since many shops will effectively book time for same-day rehairs and you want to make sure the schedule accomodates it.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins