Fischer's Basics N. 30

October 3, 2016 at 02:26 PM · This exercise feels backwards.

It's called Leading string crossing. Here's what it says: "The right arm does not have to move all in one piece when crossing from one string level to another. The hand leads when crossing from a lower strings to a higher string, and the elbow follows. The elbow leads when crossing from a higher string to a lower string, and the hand follows. This is hardly visible during normal playing, and this exercise exaggerates it by splitting the whole-arm movement into two, separate movements."

The first pentagram goes as follows:

1. Play B on the A string,

2. Move elbow to the open G string level, keeping bow on A,

3. Move bow to the G string and play open G.

4. Move bow to A string, with elbow on the G string level.

5. Move elbow to the open A string level and play C.

So the movement as it is noted in the pentagram is B-Elbow-Hand, G-Hand-Elbow, C-Elbow-Hand, A.

The opposite feels more natural. For example, when moving from B (A string) to G move the hand first and then the elbow.

What is the reason to have the elbow move first when moving from B to G, and have the hand move first when moving from G to C?

Replies (10)

October 7, 2016 at 09:42 PM · waiting for the Fischer experts to chime in . . .

October 8, 2016 at 12:52 PM · I'm not a Fischer expert, but my inclination would be to try the opposite of what Fischer says, and then work out why his idea works better. In other environments I've used such a method of comparison between two systems in order to identify the essential distinguishing feature, and it usually works.

October 8, 2016 at 02:14 PM · Making string crossings too complicated can be a recipe for disaster. Keep things simple. Using mainly wrist leads to faster string crossings, but arm levels used for crossings can give more punch. It's horses for courses.

October 8, 2016 at 03:11 PM · It's easier to drop your elbow because that's what gravity prefers. Maybe Fischer's prescription just is designed to even out that natural imbalance in how the elbow moves in the different string-change directions.

October 8, 2016 at 05:02 PM · Too much analysis of basic playing can completely mess you up. Do what comes naturally ...

October 8, 2016 at 05:02 PM · I'm just speaking generally, not in answer to any specific post.

October 9, 2016 at 10:20 AM · "Too much analysis of basic playing can completely mess you up."

I quite agree, but a few minutes per session can setup the "mechanism" to work more reliably.

Re Fischer no.30: I think I do exactly the opposite, but in leading with the hand to reach the lower string, I am supporting it with an active upper arm, which may in fact anticipate the hand, even if it stays lower. So Mr. Fischer is probably right. As usual!

October 9, 2016 at 01:13 PM · Probably ...

October 10, 2016 at 11:14 PM · But can someone actually realize the movement asked? I'm having serious troubles to lift my elbow to the G string level while keeping the bow on A.

October 11, 2016 at 03:53 AM · I had forgotten this bit of Basics, Demian... I have no trouble with the movement you describe, but that's because I usually think of allowing the arm to lead every crossing, whether up or down. Not that I think about every crossing anymore! :)

But I will have to try this out tomorrow and see if what I think I do and what I do are actually different in this question!

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop