Update on Arcus bows

October 1, 2016 at 09:00 PM · Some weeks ago i promised at Mondomusica fair (Cremona, Italy) i'd ask Bernd Müsing (owner of Arcus) if he's gone out of business or not.... :)

Obviusly he didn't......... He even has a new line of bows (named "Musing") aimed to students. The new bows have a crossed pattern in the surface. He had 3: the prices went from 450 to 650 euro.

I tested the 1 and the 3 (lowest and highest price): they are surprisingly good a sound quite full. He said that it takes 1/4 of time to make them (compared with normal line).

Aside that, i played other Arcus bows, of the classic line. In particular, i liked an octagonal A7 with added weight at frog and tip.

Replies (4)

October 1, 2016 at 09:25 PM · Thank you for the report, Marco. I'm an Arcus user. I have three of them, and my current favorite is my A6. (If I could afford a more expensive model, I'd probably like that better still.) But the company continues to be rather enigmatic. You said that an octagonal A7 impressed you at Mondomusica, but my understanding was that the A series, only made for violins, was only available for about a year, then discontinued in 2014. Also, A's were only available with round sticks. Only S's and P's came round or octagonal. Are A's back, and with octagonal sticks now? As has seemingly always been the case, Arcus's own website continues to be years out of date. I really wish I had a chance to talk with Bernd. Though I love my bows, there's much about their information dissemination that leaves me frustrated.

October 2, 2016 at 12:06 AM · You are right, i make amend: the A7 i tried, after remembering, was round. My excuses.

It had a normal frog (not angular), with more weight, and an added more weight in the plate in the tip (said Bernd).

The octagonal was a P6 or 7. I liked it too. A bit different mechanically.

October 2, 2016 at 06:16 AM · I had a Cadenza Gold and a Concerto model years ago and really enjoyed them. How do the new letter-model sticks compare to the old ones?

October 2, 2016 at 12:58 PM · I read something in their website, time ago. I believe it's still there.

But i doubt that there is a corrispondence between older and newer series. One thing that Bernd told me last year was that the "P" series stands for "professional".

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins