Good G string??

October 1, 2016 at 06:07 AM · Hi! This is my first post ever (yay!).

I would like to know what are your recommendations for a G string. I just can't find one that I really really like :( I have a Pirastro Gold E, A and D are Dominants.

Thank you in advance!

Replies (27)

October 1, 2016 at 06:14 AM · It depends entirely on your violin.

October 1, 2016 at 08:08 AM · if you like the Dominant A and D you should do fine with a Dominant G, or have you already tried that??

October 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM · It might be worth experimenting with a gut-cored G, for greater flexibility and resonance - but bear in mind what Peter says.

In the UK the most immediately accessible gut-cored Gs are the Pirastro Eudoxa and Chorda, the latter being slightly cheaper. My preference is for the Chorda G because, along with its brother Chorda gut D, I find it works so well with a steel E and A. But there again, bear in mind what Peter says.

October 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM · Pirastro Passiones have been my new favorite set for awhile. Also likes obligatos on my last violin but not as much on the one I have now. really do need to try different ones and find what works for you and your violin.

October 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM · I've just overpaid at an auction for over 100 gut-core plated As and over 100 Gs by La Bella - but no Ds :( !! I'm waiting to see if a Pirastro Gold will match. I'm sure the silver pate Gs are going to make great Xmas tree decorations!

October 1, 2016 at 01:26 PM · It all depends if you are trying to compensate for a weak G string, or just want a relatively neutral string.

Second best is Oliv.

Close alternative, and probably more compatible with Dominants is Obligato G. This, unless your violin already has a dark sound.

Give Zyex medium gauge a try. It is way less expensive from the above 2 and may in fact work great.

(The best G string is the one .... I must not write about here.)

October 1, 2016 at 01:49 PM · Yes, as Trevor says, the gut covered G's may be great. But also remember that the E string can have a big effect on all the other strings. This is why the violin itself, the E and the other strings can all upset the balance and sound. It is a bit of a minefield. But once you get the right combination, things get a lot better.

Some people can have a great talent in knowing which strings a violin may sound best with - even before they have been put on. I wish I had that gift.

October 1, 2016 at 02:50 PM · Agree with previous posters that it depends on your instrument. We can't hear yours; but if we could, we would probably each have a different G to recommend.

Regarding Dominant G: I tried it about 10 years ago in mittel -- medium -- gauge on one of my fiddles. It sounded robust and had good bass response, but it wasn't always reliable in the high positions -- e.g., 7th and 8th.

Two other G's in the Thomastik line -- Peter Infeld and Infeld Red -- gave clearer response in high positions on this instrument. The PI was a little edgier here. I prefer IR, which I find a little darker. FWIW, my other strings on this instrument: D - Peter Infeld aluminum; A - Vision Solo; E - Goldbrokat medium.

Eudoxa came up earlier. If you're a modern player, I recommend the stiff version. My first tryout, also about 10 years ago, was regular D-G. The tone broke or crushed too easily. When I switched to stiff D-G, I had quicker response and more robust tone and could use intense bow pressure when needed -- without the tone breaking or crushing.

October 1, 2016 at 03:04 PM · I second Jim's recommendation on PI G.

I'm currently using dominant in A and D. The dominant G is good but was slightly unfocused. The PI is more focused and edgier, which I like a lot.

October 1, 2016 at 03:11 PM · Victoria Secret makes some nice G-Strings :-)

October 1, 2016 at 04:13 PM · Oliv rigid is my favorite.

October 1, 2016 at 05:06 PM · Freud had a friend who preferred the Dominant G ;-)

October 1, 2016 at 07:32 PM · The G string is perhaps the most difficult string in the violin, only good violins will sound good on the Upper positions (7th. position)in the G string.

October 1, 2016 at 07:43 PM · If depth is lacking with Dominant G, then it is most likely a violin problem, not a string problem. If a soundpost adjustment cannot improve things, pretty much nothing short of regraduation will fix this. But if you go for regraduation, you can end up with something completely unrecognizable. I have tried internal sanding in the past with limited success. Basically, when buying a violin, if you don't like the sound of the bottom string, look for another.

October 1, 2016 at 09:04 PM · Kevin,

agree with one exception: a new bass bar may in fact solve the problem.

R

October 1, 2016 at 09:54 PM · Lyndon yes I have, but I just don't get that nice deep tone that I like.

October 1, 2016 at 10:00 PM · Thank you to everyone who responded, I'm taking my violin to the luthier for a casual cleaning this month so I would definately ask him to check the soundpost and bass bar. As for strings I'm going to give Eudoxa, Chorda and Infield a try to start and then continue from there.

October 1, 2016 at 11:47 PM · I will recommend you Dominant G-Strings. Dominant D. Dominant A. Pirasto E.

Almost all of our members in the orchestra use the Usual pattern. Only 3 people have different combinations or 1 solid brand but... The rest have the Dominant-Pirastro combination. For the violas... That's already a different talk.

-Martha

October 2, 2016 at 01:07 AM · Maybe the problem is the Dominant D & A. None of the instruments I have ever used have preferred them. For nylon core strings try D'Addarrio Pro-Arte or Corelli (Saverez) they are brighter and cheaper. It's hard to improve upon the real gut-core G.

~jq

October 2, 2016 at 01:43 AM · Well, some replies reminded me on another possible solution:

"Viennese medley": Thomastik Infield Red G, Blue D, Dominant A, special E (or other suitable E string).

I am positive that mixing gut strings with synthetics will not work. The only exception would be Obligato (G,D ) with Eudoxa (A).

Do not waste your money.

October 2, 2016 at 10:27 AM · However, mixing gut G and D with steel A and E is well-known and usually works.

October 2, 2016 at 12:06 PM · I tried a set of Olives once and loved them except for the A which was a stability nightmare for me. I plan on trying them again sometime with a Russian A. The Olives cost so much money though. I have been using Warchal strings for a couple of years as they are inexpensive and sound good on my instrument.

October 2, 2016 at 02:06 PM · Passione As work well with PI D and Pirazzi G. Of course, some would say that's not normal gut.

October 2, 2016 at 09:17 PM ·

October 2, 2016 at 09:17 PM · I can see that Rocky doesn't agree, but I think Dominants tend to blend pretty well with Eudoxas and Olivs in terms of feel, response, and also sound.

October 3, 2016 at 03:15 AM · Jeff, try Warchal's Avantgarde A instead of the Russian A. I think it has a richer sound. It's spiraled like the Amber E.

October 3, 2016 at 05:46 PM · I've had a lot of luck on my violin with Jargar E (medium), Vision Solo A, and PI D (Aluminum) and G (Silver). Kind of pricey, so I've been alternating with Dominants with a Jargar medium E when I change strings every 2-3 months (~150 hours of playing).

Strangely, the recommended combo from VI.com of using the forte E didn't work well, but I only tried it once and will try it again: I just changed to dominants a week ago and now that they're broken in I'll give the forte a week to compare to the medium e.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins