Wolf tone

September 30, 2016 at 02:20 PM · Is it too true that it's a good violin that actually has wolf tone? I read right on this site that it's the better violins that has wolf tones, such as Strad etc, and not the factory violins. I am asking because I am in the process of selling my Ming-jiang Zhu, which has a wolf tone when I play C on the G string.

Replies (9)

September 30, 2016 at 02:23 PM · No it is not true. This is one of the cases of correlation misinterpreted as causation. Wolf comes in poor and good violins, but is often more noticed and thus remembered in later.

September 30, 2016 at 02:47 PM · I recommend a Krentz wolf eliminator. I have one on both my cellos. Kevin Krentz offers a money-back guarantee, so it's definitely worth a try!

September 30, 2016 at 04:32 PM · There are two strong violin modes that float around the C to C# frequencies. Both low and high quality violins can suffer from excessive feedback of these modes into the string which can cause it to howl like a wolf or growl like a junk yard dog.

September 30, 2016 at 04:42 PM · I'm with Erin! Not only have Krentz devices completely eliminated the F# wolf tones on 2 of my cellos but they have improved the tone in the upper range of the C string on a third cello that does not have a wolf. I also have smaller Krentz on 2 of my violins and one viola just to improve tone. They are really marvelous devices.

Keep an eye on their website because they have been offering a 1/3 off sale on their anniversary for the past 2 years.

September 30, 2016 at 06:26 PM · If it is bowed, it has a wolf! If you think that your instrument doesn't have one, well, you just haven't found it yet. Kevin's wold modulator works very well, wonderfully well on everything that I have used it on.

I did, as a note, have a customer who purchased one and the lower lobes of his f-holes were too small for the modulator to fit through. Please don't try to carve out your f-holes so that it will fit.

If you can't play around it, pay the price for the Krentz device. It is well worth it.

P.S to the orig. question: I've never seen a truly great bowed instrument that didn't have a terrible wolf. Cheap violins that are overbuilt, the players who own these never go up to where the wolf really expresses itself. It's still there.

September 30, 2016 at 07:44 PM · I don't know if you can turn a strad into something like a dark-elf?? :((((

I am, not sure, but I just saved a 3 way bass reflex aiwa speaker set from the winter in the storage, (things just thrive around here), because the original (videoton) was burnt by a candle :( The speakers were damaged, and it was just roofing weird noises... now sometimes I hear that sound from the background with the (relatively) new speaker set. It is just an LG microtower, with rosewood speakers, it was around 50 euros a few years ago. The speakers were never under current at the same time (the damaged videoton, and the aiwa, just the lg).

I heard a wolf tone from the electric pianino once :)

it would be nice to categorize feedback into good/bad stimulus association, from the point of view of wood regeneration :)

September 30, 2016 at 08:13 PM · ok, so I got the wolf tone out of he 5 string :) it was on he second finger on the C string (viola).

I also now got to observe, that sometimes at the end of the bow I tilt it towards the bridge more. It gives a strange effect, I got tthis habit from the baroque bow ;-) It's dynamics were guiding my hand that way, otherwise it sounded weird.

October 1, 2016 at 01:07 AM · Krentz wolf eliminator sounds interesting enough, I may give that a go. I'm just afraid of its magnetic properties, and in case the eliminator gets loose inside the violin.

October 1, 2016 at 06:58 AM · I think if you never had a new instrument, or a damaged old one, then you never learn how to get the wolf tone out :) is that correct? Or someone got a wolf tone out from a fine instrument?

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop