Where to Find List of Concerto Competitions

September 29, 2016 at 11:23 PM · Can someone tell me where to find (and if there is) a list of concerto competitions in the USA for high school students?

Replies (2)

September 30, 2016 at 02:01 AM · I'm guessing you're asking on behalf of your students? I am not aware of any master list of concerto competitions in the U.S. Many professional orchestras have concerto competitions but they are usually limited to students who either live or study within a certain radius around that orchestra's city. You could look up your closest professional orchestras and see if they sponsor any--and not just the major orchestras, either; I think (for example) Corpus Christi sponsors one in South Texas.

Many youth orchestras also sponsor concerto competitions but they are internal competitions for the members of the youth orchestra.

ASTA sponsors a high school solo competition but it is not a concerto competition and I don't know off the top of my head if there are any appearances connected with winning a prize.

I'm sure you're well aware of the major competitions (Menuhin etc) already.

September 30, 2016 at 11:35 AM · Each state has an orchestral competition open to both the middle school and high school levels. Starts at the divisional/local level, then goes to state, and then nationals (NAFME hosts it). Not a concerto competition, but it's something. I've seen some advertisements from community and professional orchestras near me as well for concerto competitions.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop