Questions to ask Itzhak Perlman

September 25, 2016 at 05:04 PM · I'm going to a rehearsal of Itzhak Perlman today and I don't know what question to ask him. I want it to be really meaningful for my violin career and I want the answer to really stick to me through my violin life. What kind of question would lead him to reply with an answer like that?

Replies (20)

September 25, 2016 at 05:26 PM · PLEASE ANYONE? IM GOING IN LIKEe 10 MINS!!

September 25, 2016 at 06:44 PM · As my university professor used to say after the lecture:

"If you do not have anything to ask, it means that you did not listen carefully."

Your question will come naturally if you are really interested in what he said during the rehearsal.

Lucky you!

September 25, 2016 at 07:22 PM · @Rocky Well said.

September 25, 2016 at 07:30 PM · Also, advocating for the virtues of planning ahead: If you want thoughtful responses, ask further in advance.

September 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM · If I was near Itzhak Perlman I would love to have my picture taken with him.

September 25, 2016 at 11:00 PM · "Questions to ask Itzhak Perlman"

-Can I get your autograph? And a picture? Thank you thank you thank you! :)

September 25, 2016 at 11:21 PM · Can I borrow your Strad, Sir?

September 26, 2016 at 02:01 AM · Don't stop at just any autograph. Have him sign your violin!

September 26, 2016 at 02:03 AM · "Don't stop at just any autograph. Have him sign your violin!"

...unless he did it on the tailpiece maybe. ;)

September 26, 2016 at 02:14 AM · What?! If anything permanent markers protect the varnish ;D

September 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM · @Stuart. Shouldn't that be, "So what do you think of cheap Chinese violins FROM EBay?" ;-)

Cheers Carlo

September 26, 2016 at 12:46 PM · I would ask him why he picked up a violin instead of a viola. Why?

September 26, 2016 at 01:11 PM · Ask him if he likes bananas! (Big bunches).

VIOLAS! I would ask him why he picked up a violin instead of a viola. Why?

Violins are lighter, less hard work, more fun and can impress the ladies more ...(wink)

September 26, 2016 at 02:06 PM · David,

it is a day after your meeting with Mr. Perlman.

Wouldn't that be nice if you shared your impression with us and his answer to your question?

(You know... chances to get your questions answered next time are proportional to common courtesy.)

September 26, 2016 at 04:13 PM · @Bailey, this is not nail polish ;-) Get a whyskey instead :)

@Peter, I am really afraid of banana-spiders. They can basically kill an elephant. You order your bananas from Tesco, you bring it to your living room or kitchen, and whoa, good night :)

" I was raised in Northern Vermont before TV taught every one to talk."

-yeah, I know. It's a nice place, I knew a guy who learned trumpet there :)

" To my family it would only be "from" Ebay if it were a gift. Since it was "on" Ebay for sale it ould be bought "off" Ebay like someone bought it off the shelf at the store."

- yeah, it seems this is a bit "off" topic, even from the point of view of going "down" , or declining a deal "off" (or getting "rooked out of it" probably means that, i guess :)

"No, it makes little sense but that's the way was most people used to talk here when conversation was a little more fun."

-What is it that does not makes sense? the subject?

no comment on the joke though, just I did not find it funny, I hope I can still have an opinion though :)

September 26, 2016 at 06:09 PM · well , yes, you probably meant Borges, the writer. Besides the octagonal library, my favourite was when a crack in the crystal palace, or a wall in that matter (a wall of solid rock for example) causes the whole thing to collapse.

I mean, this is a metaphor for a person consistently lying , careful not to reveal his intentions and plans (like Hitler, to name it) , but one slip causes everyone to look at his castle of lies with suspicion, and not all threads can be short-cut.... :(

but it's ok, I'm just having personal problems, I guess it was just a bad joke ;-)

September 27, 2016 at 06:27 PM · "Sorry you're having problems. Feel free to use one of my lines if people give you too much guff over the way you communicate."

- I think everybody's got problems these says. Here we really feel the immigration problem to Europe. Nobody understands here, that Hungary voting to no for EU quotas touches the people in Sweden for example who are not like them. The immigrants I communicate with have jobs, or at least a restaurant. They do not really merge into the original population, but they are fine with themselves. The people who would come to Hungary from Sweden or other parts of Europe failed to integrate into those communities completely. They are not like the people (really most of them) who would maybe even bother them, because they would undermine the perception of immigrants.

"Sorry but my father was a surrealist and my mother a Daddist."

- That's fine, as long as somebody does not exercise automatic writing (or speech) in public.

September 30, 2016 at 04:47 AM · So! How did the thing with Itzhak Perlman go?

September 30, 2016 at 09:09 AM · yeah! tell us about iot, please :)

September 30, 2016 at 10:05 AM · I know what question I ask when I meet mr Perlman: " what question did David ask you?"

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop