Fine Tuner Problems with Pictures

September 25, 2016 at 05:04 PM · Hello, I posted hear a few days about a problem I was having with my tailpiece. I bought a Hill-style fine tuner and seems like my tailpiece is too thick for it. Here are some pictures. I wanted to get opinions from more experienced people than myself. Thank y'all

Replies (13)

September 25, 2016 at 12:49 PM · Sorry I tried to do the embedded links for pictures so I'll just post the Imgur links instead. Sorry for the extra trouble.

http://imgur.com/a/kvlb7

September 25, 2016 at 07:31 PM · Uhhm, nothing seems out of place there to me. Am I missing something really obvious I should be seeing?

September 25, 2016 at 08:16 PM · Perhaps you're referring to the fact that it does not rest parallel to the tail piece, and is instead parallel to the violin. This is fine and is not an issue. Physically it cannot rest at an angle parallel to the curvature of the tailpiece, and is nothing to worry about.

September 25, 2016 at 09:31 PM · Thanks you guys. It did create a small dent in the tailpiece at the end of the "keyhole" and I don't have much play with the tuning screw. But I guess all of that's normal I've just never had any experience with this kind of fine tuner.

September 28, 2016 at 08:22 AM · Avoid having the hook touch the fret. It will cut through this in time if left to press against it.

Cheers Carlo

September 28, 2016 at 09:54 AM · If what you're looking for is more tuning range from the adjuster, the slot in the tailpiece can be extended, even going all the way through the fret. When I do this, I use a small saw blade or file.

September 28, 2016 at 10:17 AM · I have just bought a new violin and am having problems with tuning the E string. It shows it to be correct on the tuner and I have checked the tuner with the piano. When I play the scale of G Major everything is fine until I reach the e string where it sounds at least a tone too low. Yet it is correct with the tuner. The same with melodies which are well known and still when I get to the E string it sounds too low but is also correct according to the tuner. I appreciate that a new violin take a while and the strings have to be stretched but I never expected this. My first violin was also new but I never had this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

September 28, 2016 at 10:54 AM · Learn to tune by ear.

September 28, 2016 at 05:47 PM · @Alex. Your teacher will be able to help.

Cheers Carlo

September 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM · @Alex Are you sure you are actually playing a g major scale. Play an accidental d# when you mean to play a D could throw your ear off if you don't realize you did it.

September 29, 2016 at 01:01 AM · Alex, electronic tuners can have their issues.

Along the lines of what Lyndon said, learn to tune by ear, if you will be playing for an audience with ears, even if the audience is only yourself.

Feel free to set that strategy aside, every time you perform before an audience of electronic tuners. ;-)

September 29, 2016 at 04:00 PM · Thanks for the responses you guys but, due to the fact that I am uncomfortable making modifications my violin I've just decided to put my old wittner post style fine tuner back on. It didn't seem to have an effect on the sound anyway

September 29, 2016 at 05:57 PM · yes, gut srings, and the rinpoche ;-)

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins