Smooth parallel sixths?

September 25, 2016 at 05:03 PM · I was wondering if anyone has tips regarding smooth and pretty fast parallel sixths. The intonation is fine but it sounds not smooth and weird because of the finger crossing over the string (1 2 going to 2 3 for example). Any advice for that?

Replies (4)

September 25, 2016 at 05:49 PM · Whichever finger is used for such crosses (in this case, 2nd), I keep it hovering above, close to the strings.

The other finger will then plop down correctly in tune, provided you practiced the passage slowly with good intonation.

September 25, 2016 at 06:41 PM · How long is the run and do you cross strings?

If on 2 strings only and relatively short, you could use the same 2 fingers.

Paganini's original fingerings are full of playing with the same finger.

September 25, 2016 at 07:16 PM · I'm thinking specifically the 3rd movement of Bruch g minor, both on the top of the second page (3 in a row then back down, I slide 1 2 to 1 2 and then 2 3 and then back) and at the top of the third page where it's similar 3 in a row but not back down, and for one of them I do 1 2, 2 3, 3 4 because it makes the following a previous fingering work well.

Can you explain what you mean by hovering above close to the strings?

September 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM · I simply hold the finger where it will need to be before the run (somewhat above both strings) begins. :)

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins