Postgraduate

September 24, 2016 at 02:14 PM · Hello fellow violinists! I am about to enter my 4th and final year of music college, and am auditioning for masters this year. I am based in the UK, however am looking into going to Europe for postgraduate... Does anyone have any advice on where to start? There are so many places and I don't know any teachers so it all seems a bit overwhelming. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies (3)

September 24, 2016 at 07:32 PM · I know very little about music schools outside the U.S., but my suggestion is to ask your current teacher and other professionals you come into contact with for recommendations. Your current teacher is the best place to start since he/she knows your playing strengths and weaknesses, and probably has a good idea of what is realistic.

September 24, 2016 at 09:46 PM · What languages do you speak? That's pretty important in choosing a European country to study in :)

September 25, 2016 at 02:32 AM · Many ( though not all ) non-English-speaking countries offer programs exclusively taught in English. The Royal Conservatory of the Hague and the Sibelius Academy come to mind, but it would be a shame to move somewhere, and get trapped in an expat bubble. It would be tough to determine what is realistic for you without more information, and I would be surprised if your teacher couldn't help you more than random strangers online. ( Maybe that is a sign that things look bleak ).

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins