Carbon fiber fractional size bow

September 22, 2016 at 12:24 AM · Hi everyone! I'm looking for a carbon fiber 3/4 size bow that is well-balanced for an intermediate student, but also not too expensive. Any recommendations?

Replies (11)

September 22, 2016 at 01:11 AM · What is "too expensive"? Yanbing Chen at Cleveland Violins sells a nice full-sized carbon fiber bow for $425. I don't know if they do fractionals, but it is worth a call.

September 22, 2016 at 01:43 AM · Yambing's bows are very nice. I got JonPaul to make some 1/2 and 3/4 CF bows in the Vibrant model (red sparkly CF). Very nice at about $200.

September 22, 2016 at 01:46 AM · Who/where is JonPaul?

September 22, 2016 at 02:09 AM · Paul is Peter Prier's son, Jon is his brother-in-law.

http://www.jonpaulstrings.com/

September 22, 2016 at 02:15 AM · There was ~$120Cdn CF bow with the name "Aileen", they are discontinued now, but I saw one 3/4 at a local store 2~3 years ago. I also had a 4/4 which I sold to a colleague, it was possibly the easiest bow to play, in terms of balance and well, everything. It also brought out the worst of the wolves on my violin, and the grip was very uncomfortable in my hands.

If you find a source, somewhere in States, I'd recommend it, here's the store where I bought mine from.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/193/Band/Orchestral_Strings_-_Bows/Aileen/Carbon_Fibre_Violin_Bow_4_4.htm

September 22, 2016 at 04:13 AM · Would not recommend the arcos brasil carbon bow line if you come across it. Not bad, but not good either. It's too frog heavy and stiff for general use, but it does get the job done.

September 22, 2016 at 08:37 AM · I have a coda prodigy 3/4 which is good but heavyish. I ordered online and didn't have a chance to try others to see if the stiff stick is typical.

September 22, 2016 at 12:57 PM · I'd be surprised if there was a lot of variation in the CodaBow's weight, although it might be something that's changed slightly over the years.

Using an inexpensive kitchen scale, I measure mine at around 57g, which, being a bit less than the typical full-sized bow, I would think to be about right for a bow which is a bit less than full-sized (but has a full-sized frog), but also arguably on the heavier side as it's close to the weight of a light full-sized bow.

I measure the balance point at around 9 inches.

For reference, the same cheap kitchen scale shows around 61g for a full-sized CodaBow Diamond (GX), and I measure the balance point at around 9 1/2 inches.

I've corrected my previous measurements on the balance point -- I measure with the bow under playing tension, from the end of the stick as per the following quote from this site:

Generically, a good balance point for a violin bow is 9.5 inches from the end of the stick, measuring from where the stick meets the button.

John Greenwood, Bowmaker

September 22, 2016 at 01:15 PM · Steven, who makes "Aileen"?

September 22, 2016 at 11:01 PM · Aileen music apparently, I just looked it up:

http://www.a-violin.com/product/109-violin-carbon-fiber-bow--wv850c-752c

September 23, 2016 at 02:17 PM · I concur with Bailey's thoughts on the Arcos Brasil. I have a 3/4 bow from them, but it is unwieldy.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

The Potter Violin Company

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins