Hunting for a viola case -- please help!

September 22, 2016 at 01:45 AM · I am searching for an inexpensive, shaped/dart viola case with backpack straps that I can use for transporting my viola to gigs/rehearsals. I have a nice case, but it is a little heavy and bulky - not ideal for tight spaces. The problem is that I have a Tertis-model viola, so the lower bout is unusually large (about 10.5/10.75 inches) and doesn't fit in most "standard" viola cases. Any suggestions?

Replies (11)

September 22, 2016 at 05:48 AM · Howard Core case at Johnson Strings:

September 22, 2016 at 02:56 PM · I asked them for the dimensions yesterday - it won't fit my lower bout. Also, their customer service was terrible and I don't think I'll ever do business with them!

September 22, 2016 at 03:33 PM · Think out of box!

Get a case for fractional cello (1/4).

Here are dimensions:

September 22, 2016 at 03:53 PM · What about a case for a bigger viola, like a 16.5" or 17".

September 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM ·

Very heavy, though.

September 24, 2016 at 01:24 PM · I bet that Musafia has a solution for you; their re-furbished cases are sometimes relatively affordable. In case your viola is an expensive and hard to replace, consider investing a bit more in a viola case.

September 24, 2016 at 03:20 PM · Tonarelli small cello cases.

I doubt that Musafia has a solution other than a custom case. Bobelock has an extra wide case (290 mm) violas. It's a bit like luggage, but with a lower bout that wide, as you now know, your choices are quite limited.

September 24, 2016 at 10:50 PM · I have a 16 3/4" Tertis-model viola by Arthur Richardson that fits fine into a standard-size adjustable oblong Heritage case from Shar, for what it's worth.

Since Shar sells lots of Tertis model violas, it may be worth asking them your question.

September 25, 2016 at 05:55 AM · My 15.75" viola has lower bouts of 9.5", and upper bouts of 7.9" (unusual, though the shoulders are very rounded). I bought a Gewa shaped case ("thermokern" shell) for a 17" viola, and I made a foam insert to place beyond the lower bout.

It was also vital to test the depth: a little column of putty on the bridge while I slowly shut the case to find the clearance

October 3, 2016 at 03:54 PM · @Andrew Holland - I work at Shar and I have the Heritage case now. It is just bulky and heavy - I'm looking for a light-weight/dart-shape option.

October 3, 2016 at 03:56 PM · Thanks to everyone for the suggestions- I'm still searching!

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop