D string breaks frequently, any help appreciated!

September 21, 2016 at 01:25 PM · Hello,

The D string on my violin does not last very long and they seem to keep breaking in the same spot; above the fingerboard near the first finger on first position.

I've tried 2 sets of Tonicas which last 3 months max. My most recent set which were Helicores lasted only a month which I then replaced with another Helicore D string, and that broke in a mere 10 days.

My local Luthier doesn't really know what's going on but he filed the nut area just in case.

Would love any opinion on what may be happening, or if you've seen or encountered such a problem before!

Sorry if I broke any rules as this is my first post, thanks in advance!

Replies (4)

September 21, 2016 at 01:57 PM · I haven't heard of such a case, but perhaps the fingerboard is "bruising" the strings. I would assume that you just need to invest in some new strings (of a different brand) like Evah Pirrazi if you have the money. If you are a beginner a teacher might be able to identify any user errors.

September 21, 2016 at 02:06 PM · I would bet on a bad batch, especially if you buy from the same shop. This case, using 2 brands and having the same problem, sounds bizarre. The placement of breakage is odd... check you violin case's lid; could be that something is pressing D string.

I would not waste my money on expensive strings before finding the root cause.

September 21, 2016 at 03:26 PM · Perhaps not expensive, but definitely don't buy more strings of that brand on a hunch that the strings have been ruled out as a problem. Also, your d string in the pegbox may be rubbing against another string.

September 21, 2016 at 09:10 PM · Hi! Welcome! :)

You aren't using your nails to stop the strings by any chance, right? That would put undue stress on that area, which could then account for the breakages.

Other than that, uhmmm... Did you lubricate the nut and bridge before putting the strings on?

How about your violin case, whatever it has that holds the violin down, velcro flaps or some cord, is that being fastened too tight over the neck perhaps?

Don't buy expensive strings yet. Tonicas and Helicores are good strings, they shouldn't be breaking like that.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop