Bow Flexing --Attack off string by frog

September 20, 2016 at 04:37 PM · Hello,

something I've been recently noticing, and focusing on is the amount of the time I spend on bowing close to the frog.

The earliest one, few years ago was to downbow, right from the ferrule at different speeds. I've also went multiple techniques in that region.

Now, my main focus is downbowing, starting at fff, essentially, ATTACK! I try both on string, or off string start, and off string I find is more of what I want to work on. Here's a strange thing. The bow gets flexed so much to the extent, it feels like the bow has flipped upside-down in my hand. Basically, I can feel the bow temporally bending.

Maybe I am getting more sensitive, and noticing the bow flexing more, or, am I damaging the bow at this point?

This has been happening to my newest(and best) bow. I don't bother trying this with my secondary bow, because it is lighter, and too soft.

Replies (2)

September 20, 2016 at 05:37 PM · From what you've described, it sounds to me like you need to use a faster bow. Your bow is probably bending because you're using too much vertical force. Try to think more horizontally when you attack the string, or (depending on the length of the note) think in bow arm circles.

Out of curiosity, why are you focusing on from-the-air attacks? Is it a matter of a certain passage you're working on?

September 20, 2016 at 09:44 PM · Thanks Lily, that would probably make sense, I have been trying to break the habit of using smallest amount of bow for bowing each note.

I am practicing this because I want to train myself to be comfortable with from-the-air attacks. I have a phobia of missing the string entirely and hitting the violin.

I am learning that I am more accurate than I think I am, so I should be better at it. Also, I am trying to get the doublestops on liebesfreud right.

Our Kokopelli
Please support
through your
one-time donation or
sponsorship campaign. is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Coregami Performal

Metzler Violin Shop

Connolly Music

Corilon Violins

15th International Henryk Wieniawski Violin Competition, Poznań, 8-23 October 2016

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Heifetz International Music Institute

Long Island Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Pro-Am Strings

Wangbow Violin Bow Workshop